dimensions of 7.2 volt nicd pack

i am looking to update a vintage vehicle, looking to put lipos in it, what is the size of a lipo that would fit? like what are the dimensions of a 7.2v nicd pack? i don't have one handy to measure

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    i am looking to update a vintage vehicle, looking to put lipos in it, what is the size of a lipo that would fit? like what are the dimensions of a 7.2v nicd pack? i don't have one handy to measure

thank you
    What vehicle are you putting lipo in?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Duratrax makes a 2S lipos thats an exact match to a 6cell nimh... rounded sides and everything. Not cheap, but it will fit.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Duratrax makes a 2S lipos thats an exact match to a 6cell nimh... rounded sides and everything. Not cheap, but it will fit.

That was one of the packs that came to mind when I saw this thread. Reason I asked which vehicle is because a few of them (LS_II, TCP, and SRT especially) were a very tight fit even with nicad and nimh packs. I usually had to remover those plastic ends from my stick packs back in the day. I'm pretty sure I even had to do that with my Blue Eagle to get them to fit well enough to be able to install and remove the pack without the aid of a screw driver.

doesnt have to be perfect, just close

I have quite a few vintage cars and have used hard case lipos in all of them. Everything from 4000,5000,5200, and 6000mah. In most cases they will fit, but usually require some weaseling to get them in or out. Had to trim the upper deck on my SRT to get the hard case packs in and out, have to unscrew the rear battery box from the chassis on my TRX-1 to get the packs in and out. I pretty much just have designated packs for each of those vehicles, so the batteries just stay in there all the time. I know, it's not recommended to charge lipos while in the vehicle, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. But those hard case packs are fairly close to the same dimensions as the 6 cell packs I used to run. I think the main issue with fitting them is due to the fact that the ends are square where the nicads were rounded and gave a little more wiggle room. Only time I've seen a standard 2S pack not fit is in a touring car where there is a height restriction. And obviously in 4wd buggies that require saddle packs.

RC Champion
    well since we cant talk about other brands or whatever let me ask.

does it have to be a shot gun pack "===" or a sxs pack "OOOOOO" or is it a saddle pack type deal "OO__OOOO" "OOO__OOO"

if it needs to be a shotgun pack/ stick pack, as previously mentioned, duratrax sells one, gens ace sells one, i think orion may even sell one. if your looking for a sxs pack any old lipo will do more then likely with the exception to those from like spc which are a tad longer then most.

as for the actual dimensions of a stick pack. tower hobbis almost always lists dimensions so look up duratrax NIMh's in the search box and find the dimensions
    Last edited by SRTracer121; 11-25-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    FieroMan121|SPC LiPo powered|Vintage TRX collector