RC Racer

How should I solder the 100nF Capacitors to dewalt?

I just got a dewalt 14.4 for my summit and a few 100nF Capacitors. Whats the best way to solder the 100nF Capacitors to the motor? how many watts should my soldering gun be? Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I'm not quite sure what watt iron to use the one that I used was borrowed. To get the solder to stick to the dewalt can I used my dremal to ruff the can a little .

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

You shouldn't need a monster iron for soldering such small caps with a small amount of solder, 40-60watt iron with a fat tip should do the trick.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

I used a mini torch to heat the spot on the can a bit before i soldered it seemed to help.
    For sure rough the can a bit to make sure it doesn't have any oils etc on it
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    i sanded it the other night and the solder wouldnt stick so i was thinking i need more heat. I might try the mini torch idea

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey560 View Post
    i sanded it the other night and the solder wouldnt stick so i was thinking i need more heat. I might try the mini torch idea
    Be careful there is plastic in there flux can help as well i just quickly hit the spot i needed and then the iron.pre tin the motor can . the caps can not handle much heat
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey560 View Post
    I just got a dewalt 14.4 for my summit and a few 100nF Capacitors. Whats the best way to solder the 100nF Capacitors to the motor? how many watts should my soldering gun be? Thanks!
    i have converted 2 x 14.4v dewalt motors for my erevo already

piece of cake, nothing hard. just a little time consuming.
    few secrets you need to know first off.
    where your going to solder the legs of the cap to the can, make sure it is clean and rust free and rough it up a little with sandpaper or dremmel first.only need a small part of it cleaned up.
    you can if you wish put flux on it, i didnt do this as i dont have flux.solder a glob of solder to the can first.i did this with a 60wat iron, anything less is a waste of time, it just sucks the heat out of the iron and it doesnt work.
    also pretin your cap legs meaning, solder your legs with a glob of solder on the end of the leg.
    best way to do this is heat aborsber on the leg of the cap.i use a small alligator clip.you can use hammerstats as well. anything that will stick to the leg and help draw heat away from running up the leg to the cap itself will do
    so long as you keep the heat absorber on the leg it will buy you a little extra time when soldering the leg to the can.

hope this helps
    erevo, ubuntu.com

RC Qualifier
    small flat tip alligator clips work great as heat sinks to protect your caps from the heat

RC Enthusiast
    eBay are full of 100nF Capacitors...

How do I find the right one to use for my deWalt 14.4?
    Any links or som more spesific detalis?
    Summit 1/10,dW
    Digger 1/16,2.4z,4wd,XL5,LED
    SPC