RC Qualifier

Struggling with fun-truck decision

I haven't been running RC cars recently and I think it's because I don't have a good 'fun truck'. My HPI Nitro MT, Micro RS4, and Tamiya HighLift are great but they either need time or care to run them; and my XXX-CR is a racecar, not a basher. I used to have a Revo 2.5R and a Stampede, but I lost interest and sold them.

This merv VXL really appeals to me, especially since Hobby People has them at $259, but my brother actually has a 1/10 E-Revo in storage which I could build up. All it needs is a motor/esc system. The question I'm struggling with is whether I would be happy with the merv, or if I should work with this mint 'full size' E-Revo.

Part of me thinks the size of the merv would be more fun since its smaller size will be better suited to running around the street, baseball diamond, and fairly groomed yards on my street. Plus it is more portable and obviously less expensive - $265 shipped, ready to go no questions asked. I also have some 2.2" wheels and tires laying around.

But the big guy is more adjustable and more capable; I could slam it for street use or pick it up for off-road runs. But then I look at the cost of the MMM system and we're already talking $300 before I grab pinion gears or the odd screw I might need. New wheels and tires, not that I need them, would be another $80.

TLDR: if you didn't want to break the bank, just wanted some light bashing fun, and had a rolling 1/10 E-Revo sitting around, would you save cash and go with the merv, or would you plunk down the change and set up its bigger brother?

RC Qualifier
    I dont have an answer to your question but thought I would chime in. You should look into the price of batteries for the two as well. There is quite a difference. I dont know if the price of batteries could be a possible deal breaker on the 1/10, but its something to consider.
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Racer
    I personally just dropped the cash for the Merv, and I can tell you this, its not going to cost you 265$ in the long run, your going to break part, your going to want lipos (chargers etc), and by the time your done it will cost you just as much as it would have to build up the big brother. don't get me wrong I'm loving my MERV, and the smaller size suits where I live (Military barracks), but I'd love to have the big brother If i could. Honestly buying the MERV + lipos + Charger has cost me over 400$ atm, and I'm still going, gotta buy the RPM parts to lower risk of breaking etc, all in all building up the bigger bro might be cheaper for you, you wont get any better performance out of it in the long run, but i'd assume less breaks and easier to work on.

i would much rather have a 1/10 brushless revo.... but htey are way mroe expensive, and so are it's parts.....

RC Qualifier
    I have both and the Erbe is way superior. Better off road, better at jumps, more robust. I Love my merv too but it's a smaller scale basher. Buy the erbe.
    Signature removed due to excess awesomeness.

RC Competitor
    I have both and the Erbe is way superior. Better off road, better at jumps, more robust. I Love my merv too but it's a smaller scale basher. Buy the erbe.
    I'd say the same, bashing duties with the MERV is a real pain with the 1 inch ground clearance... But then again the MERV is small and I love how I can just take it any where. For instance, I'm going down south for the winter, doesn't take up much room. Also, when working on it, I'd say it's a little bit easier. Now your going to want Lipos, they don't cost nearly as much as lipos for the 1/10th scale e-revo, I just order some cheap lipos and a charger for $28. So again, I'd prefer the full scale if I had the money, but for light bashing, and street runs MERV is just fine.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for everyone's perspectives. I used to run a TXT-1 and loved how it crawled over just about everything; that and just knowing I have all the adjustability / room for modding of the larger vehicle is really nice. I spent a couple hours this afternoon trying to rig two titans and a Super Rooster to our 1st gen E-Maxx, and although it didn't happen I could tell that I'd be happy with the smaller car. It's almost more cumbersome and less fun having the big guy, as I remember my Revo 2.5R was practically mocking me - it just soaked up everything and seemed to say "that all you got?".

Assuming I pull the trigger here, does anyone recommend any LiPos apart from the SPC 2s 2250mAh packs (http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=107)? They're rated at 25C; I admittedly don't know whether that's good enough for me or what. I saw MaxAmps have a few packs, but they are way higher at $40 and $50 per; maybe the MaxAmps name has something to do with it, or perhaps their discharge qualities are just that much bettre?

RC Qualifier
    I have found Boost lipo's are very good. I personally would stay away from MA.
    No link to the Boost as per forum rules but a search for "Boost **** 2s 45c" should find them.
    Been running them for a few runs and seem to give plenty of power and run time.
    Never do anything half fast. Hey Ya'll, watch this

RC Qualifier
    I went out and just ordered an HPI Vorza... 1/8 scale buggy which is inbetween the 1/16 and 1/10 E-revo. The 1/10 E-revo is huge... So I have my MERV and Vorza! To be honest I think the HPI Vorza parts placement in the chassis will be a dream to work on... I mean you take out I think I read 5-6 screws for the rear diff and it will pop out... Whereas with the MERV platform you have a lot more to remove... I'm gonna have loads of fun however with either of them.
    1/8 HPI Vorza Flux
    1/16 Traxxas E-Revo VXL