RC Racer

Question Merv pinion question

Currently running all stock except using dirt Hawg II on proline beaded rims, going to be upgrading to rpm arms etc, and using either ***** 2s or ******* 2s, currently running the provided 23t, should I gear down to prevent strain on the gears running the larger 2.2 wheels? If so how much gear down and how will it effect my speed.

RC Racer
    i would invest in a temp gun and start with 23t pinion and see what your temps are on the motor and esc. If it overheats then go down a couple teeth and try it again. I have seen some people run the 28t pinion with 2's and have had no problems. As for speed everytime you go lower the pinion gear it will effect speed and won't be as fast but you will have more bottom end power.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the input ^.^

RC Racer
    running the exact same rims and tires 3s with an 18tooth pinion. so far no thermals shutdowns or excessive heat. only judging by touch, haven't use a temp gun. though, I'm not too sure if 18t is under geared? how do you know if a setup is under geared? i don't notice any excessive cogging or anything..