RC Competitor

2 batteries in series

initially I thought of upgrading my 380 motor to a castle creation 1/10 motor.
    But soon realize that there will be alot of work to be done on the revo before the motor could fit.

The next best thing I would do is to connect the batteries in series.
    I have to get another battery and a series connector ....
    But I have some questions and hope the seniors here could help me out....

1) will a heat sink be able to do the heat from the series of batteries?

2) What would be the reason to reduce the pinon gear to T23 as recommended by Traxxas? by reducing the pinon gear, the torque would increase but top speed would reduce.... I not sure why do we have to reduce the gearing but I hope to know it.

3) Will the increase in voltage cause permanent damage to the stock ESC and brushless motor?

4) If I were to fit the erevo with summit 2.2" rim and tyre, do I have to further reduce my gearing ratio?

5) will the series set-up cause the revo to wheeli? ( need to get wheeli bar is it does wheeli)

6) Will the series set-up void the warranty from traxxas on the lifetime ESC and motor?

Many thanks in advance....

Regards
    RC newbi Ivan
    Last edited by Sir.Yilufa; 07-31-2011 at 10:20 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Two batt in series could fry the esc,
    1. It will help, but not enough.
    2. to reduce heat
    3.yes it could be fried
    4.yes stock pinion on summit is 16
    5.yes wheelie, backflips,,

series isn't going to void your warranty, but you will need to document everything you did so it isn't abuse

you need to reduce the pinion because yes, it will lower top speed, but if you don't it will overheat becuase it is running at such a high rpm....

the esc will fry if you run it too hot

gearing will need to go down even further with summit hweels, i think the summits come with a 16 tooth pinion

RC Competitor
    Can anyone enlighten me on why heat will built up if using stock(28) when connected batteries in series?
    isn't by reducing the gearing(23T) make the motor reach the top rpm at a faster rate?
    I was told that by running the motor at top rpm without any or little load it will cause damage to the brushless motor.

Although I will reduce the gearing to 16T similar to the summit, I hope to know/understand the reasons for the heat issues by the gearing....

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the bigger the pinion, more work for the motor so that produce more heat.

RC Competitor
    Think of it like this, your on a bicycle that has 5 gears, 1st gear is easy to pedal and you don't get so tired, but you go slower. 5th gear you have to really put your effort into it, and you get tired faster but you go fast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by miniREVO22 View Post
    Think of it like this, your on a bicycle that has 5 gears, 1st gear is easy to pedal and you don't get so tired, but you go slower. 5th gear you have to really put your effort into it, and you get tired faster but you go fast.
    Great analogy!!!!

RC Competitor
    thanks alot
    The analogy have been great..

RC Competitor
    No problem. Happy to help