Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: SumRevo

Thanks....

Little progress:
    Open & cleaned the trans, all looked good added a little lithium grease. Glass bead blasted the paint off the springs & other parts. Hard to see but the motor plate is mounted on the trans. Pic'd are the Ti push rods, they are threaded right & left on each end. To keep track which rod end is left & which is right, I put an orange mark on the rights. To set the length on the push rod there is a zip tie included with the Ti push rods. The correct length is 3.430".
    Silver springs are about .100" longer then the Blue, that is how I tell them apart. Still using 80 wt shock oil.

===

===something I like to do is put a 6mm washer under the rocker post, keeps the springs form rubbing the chassis.

===New Summit A arms because I like the extra length it gives the truck.

===Tie rods.... still need to set the fronts, but rears I use the push rod spacer to set my toe in. One spacer on one end & screw the rod ends all the way on

===shocks all cleaned up..

===New hinge pins, and Arms

===I have been taking more time, putting things together. Noticed back two screws that mount the wing on could be longer. Still used 4x14 front screw & back two used 4x16

=== Sharpie colored the heads

Replies: 376
    Views: 58,353
    Last edited by 87 GN; 09-01-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Racer
    Great build.Looking good mate

Knuckles:

I was using Teflon tape and it works really well. Few wraps around the pivot ball cap. But I have seen the alum knuckles with the grub screw, that holds the pivot ball cap from backing out. So I cut the ends off of some drive shaft pins, to use as my grub screws. Cut off wheel on my Dremel. Next was drilling the holes, with a 1/8" (.125") drill bit. Centered some what close so the grub screw would make contact with the pivot ball cap. I was never a really fan of the dust boots covers. They are to keep the dirt out, but once in, it not coming out. They also tear easily, I'm leaving them off. I even sanded down the tabs for the retaining ring (Dremel).

The bearing were all but locked up. As you can see the knuckle on the right, has had the bearing spun. On the left is a used knuckle but is in good shape.

===locked up bearings, sanded off taps, cut drive shaft pin,

====cut grubs, grub screw installed.

Replies: 375
    Views: 58,524
    Last edited by 87 GN; 09-02-2013 at 06:14 AM.

rear is assembled, a few pics..........

new chassis

===

===

===still need to put in the new bearings, but because I'm not using the dust boots on the knuckle, I'm not using the blue grommets in the pillow ball caps. I will use compressed air to keep them cleaned out. Also before I mounted the knuckles to the A Arms, assembled the pivot ball & cap. Simply install the ball in the knuckle and screw in the cap. The trick is the get the cap adjusted with minable play of the ball, and not to tight to cause binding.

===toe in....Factor is set at 1 degree, you can go up to 3 degree. Front is set to zero degree. I don't have a degree finder, but that is where the push rod space comes in.

===gear mesh.... First see the vid below. Once set, I check several areas buy feel to see how much play is between the spur & pinion. There should be a little play between the gears. Don't forget to use a drop of blue Loctite on the pinion set screw..

===

Replies: 375
    Views: 59,202

I went to put the bearings in the knuckles, forgot I had E Maxx knuckles in the spare junk box. Not a big deal they are the same knuckles, but the outer bearing, is a 6x12x4 instead of a 6x13x5.

I have figured out why I don't like doing maintenance, it is the clean up. Spend more time cleaning then wrenching, & I am a little "annual" about things.......lol.. old toothbrush works great for getting into all those little spots.
    front bulk

===Had to open the front diff carrier, I could fell that the diff fluid had leaked out, minimal to not resistant. In the next few pic you will see why.

===All the gears are in good shape, still using 120k diff fluid.

===The last time I assembled the carrier I had to of pinched the gasket, new gasket on the right.

===cleaned up, filled the carrier about 1/2 full.

===installed the gears, topped off with a little more fluid. Then let the carrier sit for awhile to let the air bubbles out.

===new gasket, still a few bubbles, but by the time I put the ring gear on they were all out.

===you know the diff was full when you have the extra fluid come out one hole.

===cleaned out the bearings (brake cleaner & compressed air) all are in good shape, packed with lith grease.

===only pack one side, it is plenty of grease.

Replies: 376
    Views: 60,283

Almost done, if you need some info about the motor & electronics, jump back a few pages...

Looking a little cleaner. Made sure the up, was up on the diff. before installing in the bulk head. pictured is the P2 rockers

===Cleaning up the servo saver, noticed the bearings were locked up. I have spare parts of about everything even bearings. The small bearing is a 5x8x2.5 and the other bearing is a 5x11x4. I did not open them up and pack them with grease, no need to.

===bulk and A Arms

===it is easier to install the front center drive shaft before putting on the servo saver assembly..

Replies: 379
    Views: 61,040
    Last edited by 87 GN; 09-14-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Well it has been done for awhile just need time to post some pic.

===Treated her to a new set of drive shafts, just because.

===

===all dressed up

===

===

===

===running gear

===

Replies: 382
    Views: 61,712

RC Qualifier
    Looking Great GN!

How are the grub screws in the knucks working out?

I switched to Integy Aluminum pillow ball caps and they have been working great for me so far. Great nylon cup that snugs up really good leaving less play than before while maintaining less binding. They hav a small o-ring around them to help keep them in place and water out of the boots.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

Thanks.... So far so good...
    I have seen & read about the Integy alum pillow ball caps. They are actually a pretty good upgrade considering the manufacture.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, $8 a set(4 caps) cant go wrong, Seems like they can snug up closer without binding than stock. felt really nice installing. Got the last 4 packs from Eliminator in Winnipeg.

Edit: Plus, They were the only aluminum ones I could find at the time ;-) But these and their steering parts have served me well. I have their tire balancer on the way... see how it does.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Qualifier
    How did you get the bead rings orange? I have a orange slipstream body, i'm also a KTM fan but just for thier 2 strokes, 2014 KTM 250sx for the spring, i'd say i can't wait but i have a 2014 Skidoo Freeride for when the snow flies!

I cheated and just spray painted them orange. If I would ever run them the paint would get chipped off.

First an update, few runs on my basher, it is running awesome. Without all the play in the diffs & drive shafts. There is hardly any cogging, really surprised how much difference it made.........

So this pop's up once in awhile, trying to fit a 8000 mAh 3s in a Revo/Summit chassis. In time, several years down the road they will be making a 3s 8000 mAh that will fit, but not yet, and/or Traxxas will make the battery compartments bigger. These are the 2s 9000 mAh, they perfectly, and a set of 3s 8200 mAh that I use in my 5ive.

9000 2s

===perfect fit

===comparison

===

===3s 8200 mAh & Revo compartment

===

===

Replies: 387
    Views: 63,166
    Last edited by 87 GN; 10-09-2013 at 03:15 AM.

RC Qualifier
    One day, they will fit! I'm already very impressed with the 9000mAh 2S fitted in our battery compartments. Just ordered some SMC 11.1V 5600mAh 60C packs, I'm very excited to see how these will perform.

RC Champion
    subscribed!...with passion
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

3s 5600 mAh 60c

had another PM on offset....
    Straight from deanwrx..
    In the RC world, any offset means the wheel sticks out further. So a wheel with 1/2" offset sticks out 1/2" further than a wheel with zero offset. In real 1:1 cars, this is referred to as negative offset.

In the diagram below, the negative offset wheel sticks out further from the car body. This is like having 1/2" or more offset in RC language. If you notice, zero means the hub mounts directly in the center line of the wheel.

Replies: 390
    Views: 64,637

update :
    Might remember SumRevo is a Brushed 14.4v Dewalt motor, and a EVX2 ESC. Have been doing some serious off road'n, tall grass, sticks, brush, logs, climbing and crawling mile and a half of tree line and drainage ditches. It was time for some upgrades.
    So bought another Savox SA1230SG, Castle 10 amp BEC, Absolute Hobbyz servo horn, and a STRC arm.
    The rear diff carrier is locked, I had another diff with the carrier locked so put it in the front bulk. SumRevo is now a full locked 4x4, perfect for the terrain that I have been running thru, not so good on the turning radius. I have been looking at rear steer, haven't found what I am looking for yet........I run 2/2s 9000mah batts still have about 3.8v per cell after a good hour of driving.

parts

===this is a good quality piece

===

===

===jumper & series connector, nothing to soldering up a series connector. Female connector red pos to male pos. white wire male neg to other connector pos, then black wire neg back to neg of female connector...see pic

So why the plug and series adapter? Following BrianG system wiring diagram, for this set up. Needs to be plugged into the BEC side of the ESC, and the jumper on the non BEC side. The jumper will work on BL system and one battery for a young/new drivers....When using the EXT BEC you have to unhook the red wire coming off the ESC.

EVX2, EXT UBEC, Two series batts, http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/wiring.html
    Replies: 390 Views: 69,664
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-11-2013 at 09:53 PM.

To make sure I'm getting the most of my steering I did a little tuning.

I started by installing the Savox servo without the alum arm. The stock plastic arm would flex under the extra torque, in time the arm will snap off anyways. Everything torn down (skids, front mount, ect) this is the install.

point of tear down with the stock plastic arm.

===have to work the chassis down a little so the new arm doesn't hit.

===install the new arm

===

=== next is the spring I did go with the HD spring. small side down...

===caped off and servo linkage hooked up.

===skids back on & front mount

===this is really an easy install and a good upgrade

I will get some pic loaded up for the BEC install, but will not pertain to much to a BL set up. Because a BL system is already set up in a series configuration. On a side note, you do not want to lock your carriers with a BL truck. Two reasons 1) it is very hard on the diff. 2) SumRevo tops out at about 30 mph, and it is a hand full to keep it straight and not roll it over. But for what I built the truck for I driving this thing.. It will go over and thru just about anything........

RC Champion
    I love the servo horn, looks like a nice piece. You can never go wrong with aluminum steering parts!

it is and that is true..

sorry no pic of the diff install but here is a link.

How to Remove Diff
    http://traxxas.com/support/Different...ion-and-Summit

Like I said this will not pertain much to a BL system because it is wired in series already. But if you have a new/young driver, that you need to cut the speed and power the jumper adapter is a good way to go, & one battery.

===jumper

===BEC wired in

Replies: 393 Views: 69,922
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Time to finish BAD TO THE BONE, have a young driver (4) needing a truck, so going to start him off with the ESlayer. LVD - EVX2 ESC, 775 motor, and a single 2s and adaptor plug. That way I can reduce the power and speed for him and I can run 4s if I want to take it out for a run. Then in a few years and he is ready, I will have him build another truck (REVO) with a BL system.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5425613

Starting with rims and tires. Two reasons for this combo. 17mm hubs, and tires size. SC
    DE Racing SCT17B Trinidad Sc Wheels Fits 17mm Hex
    Traxxas Kumho Sc Tires 2.2/3.0 6870

===

===before any taping or gluing clean up with Alcohol, and lent free rag.

=== taped one wrap, 2" Gorilla tape, cut reliefs for laying the tape flat.

=== I did have to cut the foam ID shoulder for the rim to fit

===

===mounted and glued with Med CA glue. Really took my time to make them look good.

Replies: 394
    Views: 79,470

I did not put the blue limiter inside the shock. I'm going to run it in the stock location, and see how it works. I have seen this done because of the (shorter) Slayer A Arm. Still using 60wt shock fluid, I did have to get another set of springs. The Blue / Silver springs are to heavy, so I powder coated up another set of springs.......
    white = 2.9......16.6 front
    green = 3.5......20.0 rear

A little bit of assembly, I didn't do a very good job powder coating the push rods. Clean it off and re-powder coated. Had everything put together did a short run in the living room, everything was working well. Went for another test run, had steering no forward or reverse. Spent couple of days working thru the prob, finally decide to take it back apart and put in a new Rx. There it was a broken motor wire on the bottom side of the motor. The resistor was holding the wire in place. Had a new spare motor, back up and running.

===

Rear toe links, with the ends threaded all the way in, the toe was about 1.5 degrees per side for a total rear toe-in angle of 3 degrees. This is the proper setting, I don't like that much toe, so to get less toe in. I used the dremel and a sanding drum to shorten one rod end per side about .100". to get around 1 degree of angle per side. This let's me thread the rod in deeper for less toe in.

===

Replies: 406
    Views: 81,073

RC Qualifier
    How well does the powder coating hold up? I noticed on the front left pushrod some had come off but is that from serious bashing? Or normal use?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

The powder coating holds up very well if applied properly. I did the front and rear chrome bumpers on my GMC, for a blacked out look, turn out perfect.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5440222

I had trouble getting a good even coverage on the push rod, and did not get the baking process done very well. So I cleaned it off and started over and now everything looks good. I even powder coated some rims. that was trick to do.

some other things I have powder coated 374 & 382
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5570078
    Last edited by 87 GN; 04-12-2014 at 02:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Very nice.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Champion
    What tires are in post #408?
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

Batteries:

Started out buying just one battery. I was going to run his truck on one 2S and adapter plug. So I bought a 2S SMC 9400 mAh 60C, they are the exact same size as the 9000 mAh 28C batteries I all ready have. The Traxxas connector was on back order, I did not want to wait so I bought one with Deans and soldered on a Traxxas connector. Then of coarse I get to thinking, by the end of summer the little one will be ready for 4S. SO placed another order but both connectors were on back order. To my surprise the second battery (Traxxas) was delivered in two days. I wanted to protect the balance wires, used a short piece of 3/8 shrink tubing. To get these batts to fit, take the battery retainer out, back out the Rx box screws, and move the battery L bracket to it's full length, in the battery compartment. I might try cutting the vent out and run the wires out the vent, the compartment doors need to be trimmed quite a bit to get the wires out.

===shrink tubing

===

Views: 81,818

Gearing:

With the relative small SC tires (4.300" OD). I went with 17/54, radar speed of 11 mph 2s and 20 mph 4s. A good start for the little one, he likes donuts and going full throttle. lol..... The reason I went and bought the second battery I wanted the batteries to have the same number of cycles, when he is ready for 4s. Instead of the adapter plug and one battery I went and programed the EVX2 to training mode, and 4s for 11 mph.. It is really easy to program the three different modes.
    Install truck batteries, Turn Radio on, press hold the EZ Set button (solid green)(solid red) (flashing red mode Profile count)

Profile #1 (Sport) 100% Forward, 100% Brake, 100% Reverse
    Profile #2 (Race) 100% Forward, 100% Brake, No Reverse
    Profile #3 (Training) 50% Forward, 100% Brake, 50% Reverse

The EVX2 has an LDV, but it is set to 3.2v per cell, a little to low, and can not be adjusted. Have to keeping an eye on the temps and his run time, until I get a better idea of how the truck is running. I will take along an LVA and keep the volts to above 3.5v per cell. A 9000/9400 mAh will run a Brushed system for over an hour.

Steering:

The ESlayer can turn on a dime, to keep him from flipping over I turned up the expo on the steering response to 100%. The stock steering servo's can throw the steering full lock L&R even on high traction surface. Just because of the smaller, lighter SC tires.

still have yet to figure out what Traxxas has changed on the gear cover, but it rubs the spur. Dremel and small sanding roll, sanded down until it stopped rubbing about .030".

===

Views: 82,060

few pic

===

===

===

===plug adapter I'm not going to use

===

===

Views: 82,351

RC Champion
    I don't know what motor plate your using, but it's looks like the single motor mount. So from what I could tell you should be using Traxxas Gear Cover TRX5677R with Motor Mount TRX5690X. Apparently, there are two different gear cover, TRX5677R, and TRX5677A. I couldn't see the gear covers good enough to see if there is any difference from the pics.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

pic in post 402 shows the motor mount pretty good and post 327, but it is the single mount, and the single cover..

Something I noticed was the truck felt lighter than my Revo. I weighed them out and without batteries, Revo was 10 lbs and Bad to the Bone was 8 lbs. So with two / one pound batteries, 12 lbs. and 10lbs. respectively. Could tell there was a weight difference but I would not have thought 2 lbs. With that I have been reading up on the New 1/8 Sidewinder. This little truck would be a handful with a BL system, and of course proper gearing. But for the little one it will have to wait....

"Anything weighing up to 11 lbs. running up to 6s Lipo is fair game"

http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...winder8th.html
    Views: 82,793
    Last edited by 87 GN; 04-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.

RC Champion
    I wonder if Castle will release the 8th Sidewinder ESC only. I guess only time will tell. I wouldn't have thought the weight difference would have been that much either.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

Body: Pro-Line 3384-00 Flo-Tek Clear Unpainted SC Body for Slayer Pro
    First thing was to cut the body out, then I have a Dynamite hole reamer for installing the body post holes, sized to 8mm. Put the holes in before painting, just lay the body to where the tires would line up nicely with the wheel wells. Then a lot of taping off.

===

Views: 83,228

Had some help with a clean up, all should be good now. I have already changed the ESC to Profile #1 Sport mode, running 25 mph. Little one is doing a good job of driving, and this truck can do full throttle donuts...lol The alum shock caps are leaking again, tighten them up still leaking. Going back to the stock plastic caps. A BL ESlayer has to be crazy fast and nimble. Few years upgrade him to the 1/8 Sidewinder.

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

===

Views: 85,176
    Last edited by 87 GN; 05-07-2014 at 10:22 AM.

RC Qualifier
    It looks mean..nice truck

thanks.. This is project ...
    Frankenstein
    The donor truck is my Summit, it is going to be an odd mix of parts and mods. I don't think I have driven this truck ten times in last couple of yrs. I use to drive it all the time until I locked the diffs on SumRevo, now I use it for all my trail running and crawling. Still have a lot of things to work thru, but I do have all the parts just need to get started. Quick recap..... it is a Summit with 1/5 scale Trenchers, locking Diff's, two speed trans, 14.4v Dewalt motor, Hitec 7950th servo, Castle 10amp BEC, and EVX2 ESC. I put on the 1/5 Trenchers, and now Weighing in at 15 lbs. without batteries, put's a lot of stress on the ESC and motor. On hot days and hard crawling the ESC would get hot enough to go into thermal shut down. Guess that is one reason why I don't drive it much, hope to change that....

===

===

===

Views: 86,349
    Last edited by 87 GN; 05-20-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: it