Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SumRevo

SumRevo is doing well. I have left the suspension LT rockers & inner hole. The drive shafts have no signs of damage to the u-joints. Again if I was ruuning a BL system I would be breaking drive shafts like crazy. Been there done that. I am going to put a 14.4 Dewat motor on it. I have the part's & have been working on it, when I have time. Have one for my Summit too.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 11-24-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

I have been playing again, just like messing with things & the weather is bad.
    SumRevo......
    I am not going to go over the complete mod for converting to a 14.4 Dewalt. I'm including three good link's instead.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=my%2520dewalt
    ===
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=dewalt
    ===
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...20installation

I used 10 ga wire to solder on the brush holders. Then I soldered on two 0.1uf ceramic-disk Capacitor p/n 272-0135 form Radio Shack. Ground the can just a bit to let the solder stick better. Some say you do not need the caps with the 2.4 GHz radio, I put them on just to match the stock motor. Then soldered on EC5 connect's for connecting to the ESC.

===

===

If you didn't know already the motor mount needs the hole widened, to mount up the Dewalt. Used the mill at work & endmilled the holes wider. The outer hole get's pretty thin. So I milled a little extra on the opposite hole, & mill some relief for the head of the screw. (or dremel)
    Made a spacer so I could turn the pinion around. There is a prob with doing this. You can't get to the set screw on the pinion when everything is assembled. Not a real big deal really I'm not going to be changing gearing alot. Measured it up & made the spacer .100 thick. Then made cut backs in the spacer. (colored orange) To let the spacer sit flat on the motor. That made the spacing off. So made another spacer .150. The pic's have the .100 spacer, I need to change it out to the .150. You need a little longer screws for the extra width, to mount the motor..
    Gearing: Well according to BrianG speed chart, I am going to start with 17/65 = 20 mph. I need to get a speed on radar but I went with 18/65.. Maybe 25 mph...I have been breaking in the new motor varing speeds, F&R.
    http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

===real good pic of the plate & cut backs

===

===The .100 spacer, see how the spur & pinion are not lined up very well...

I have left the truck lifted & have yet to have drive shaft breakage. I went & filled the diff cup with JB Weld & some stuff called Propoxy, I will post it up later..
    Last edited by 87 GN; 12-19-2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: not done ha..

RC Champion
    It's too bad the motor shaft is so short or you could just flip the pinion...
    http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/

Yep it is a bummer. I was trying to come up with a way to make the shaft longer but I've got nothing.

Just a note on the kv's of the Dewalt's

12 volt motor is 1650kv, 14.4 volt motor is 1350kv and the 18 volt is 1100kv.

hi Brian..

I should have let all the bubbles come out of the diff cup (carrier). I think there was just enough air to cause a prob. So to try something new, I'm not the first to do this, Lock the differential (rear). I have a few spares so the first diff, took it a part & cleaned it up, used break cleaner. Propoxy 20 is a two part epoxy putty, sets up in 20 min. Break off a piece roll & fold the puddy until the streaks are gone. Press some firmly in the bottom of the cup then place the gears in & top of with a little more. Then finish assemble. Like I said it sets up in 20 min, I have it in Sumrevo already & have a short run today over some rocks & I think I am going to really like this set up, what a difference... Ebay this> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

I also did a diff with JB Weld, a little easier to fill the diff cup (carrier). JB Weld is also a two part epoxy, steel & hardner, use equal amounts & mix. I used an allen wrench & a plastic lid to stir it on. Same process take it apart clean, fill cup about half, set in the gears & top off & finish assembly. I just finished & the JB weld is starting to set up but I think it will take at least another day to set up. I am not worried about the drive shafts. One I have alot of spares & two I'm not runnung a BL system yet.

===

===

===

===cup is full

To further get ready for winter. I made a set of snow chains (#16 jack chain). (Canyons) To keep the water out of the tires I put a little JB weld over the breather holes. These wheels are just for snow so I can leave the chains on. I need to get a cover or make one I have yet to come up with something other than the Outer Wears cover... I have seen the shower cap method.

Like the painted body in the 3rd & 4th pic haha....the green stared out yellow...

===

===

===

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    I should have let all the bubbles come out of the diff cup (carrier). I think there was just enough air to cause a prob. So to try something new, I'm not the first to do this, Lock the differential (rear). I have a few spares so the first diff, took it a part & cleaned it up, used break cleaner. Propoxy 20 is a two part epoxy putty, sets up in 20 min. Break off a piece roll & fold the puddy until the streaks are gone. Press some firmly in the bottom of the cup then place the gears in & top of with a little more. Then finish assemble. Like I said it sets up in 20 min, I have it in Sumrevo already & have a short run today over some rocks & I think I am going to really like this set up, what a difference... Ebay this> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

I also did a diff with JB Weld, a little easier to fill the diff cup (carrier). JB Weld is also a two part epoxy, steel & hardner, use equal amounts & mix. I used an allen wrench & a plastic lid to stir it on. Same process take it apart clean, fill cup about half, set in the gears & top off & finish assembly. I just finished & the JB weld is starting to set up but I think it will take at least another day to set up. I am not worried about the drive shafts. One I have alot of spares & two I'm not runnung a BL system yet.

===

===

===

===cup is full

Wouldn't have been easier to just put the 5381X Traxxas Spool gear in your rear diff ???

Have not used a spool, but what I have read about them are don't work very well. IDK..
    I had 700k diff fluid in the carrier, I didn't let all the bubbles out, might have been why it diff'd more than I wanted.
    Just trying something different.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 01-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I commend you for trying it your own way my friend...

I ordered a Spool Gear for my rear-diff since I often run on a short icy track in the winter and in the summer it's mainly bashing and hill climbing in a sand pit ...

RC poster
    Unfortunately the Traxxas spools are not heat treated, and break often. I have found that locking up the stock carriers with JB Weld (or whatever) seems stronger. My theory is it's because the stock diff side gears and spiders are hardened.

RC Qualifier
    This may well be the case, I'll have to watch for this as soon as I get the spool gear from the mail...

Thanks for the cue.

RC Competitor
    Won't all of that jb weld prevent the gears from spinning all together?

Yep that is the point, locks the diff. It is kind of like locking the diff on the Summit, but I can't unlock it.....lol

RC Qualifier
    Would a Summit locking diff work on an ERBE ??

Yes if you use the Summit bulk heads. The diff is wider, for the locking fork, in the diff..

RC Qualifier
    Now that could be an interesting mod to do !!! Lock the rear diff when you do hill-climbs, short-course, dirt, sand etc...
    Un-lock the diff on asphalt or high-grip surfaces !!!

There are alot of pep that run BL system in their Summit's. Usually a (copy/paste ebay) Tekin 1/8 Rx8 Brushless Sensored/Sensorless ESC. It is better for crawling, but the MMM does well if geared low, helps with clogging..

If you think a BL is hard on the Revo diff, the locking diff is even worse. There is a company that is now making a alum locking diff carrier tho...

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, I can only imagine the locking-diff is getting his **** handed to him by the 2200kV / MMM combo...

Revo....Did some drifting in the shop this weekend. Started without tape, did ok, but I put on the masking tape & had a blast... To keep the tape from coming untaped...... I taped counter clockwise, Facing the rim...

hard to take pic & drive....

===

===

Last edited by 87 GN; 02-07-2012 at 09:18 PM.

RC Racer
    87gn . How has the 2speed held up and which ratio did you end up using ? i'm looking at picking this up for my revo for the trail walks my wife and I do. I was curious at the tops speed with the lower gearing .
    Thanks.

Sum~Revo I have never put on a BL system. I really like the Dewalt. If we would get some snow I would be out playing in it.. The two speed is doing just fine. I spend a bit of time in the Summit forum & I have yet to read, of anybody with a BL system have any troubles with the two speed trans.. My Summit is running 26 mph in high & 14 mph in low. geared 17/65..
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5034481

I have three trucks right now
    Revo
    Summit
    Sum~Revo

Edit... Summit two speed..
    ■Transmitter-operated High-Low transmission switches from a 70:1 first gear ratio for climbing torque to a 25:1 second gear ratio for trail speed
    Last edited by 87 GN; 02-07-2012 at 10:39 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ahh, my first traxxas rc was a summit back in 2010. I remember i got tired of people bragging about the erevo and how fast it was was in comparison so i went and installed a 2200kv mamba into it with 4s lipos That thing was unstoppable. All the stregths of a summit with the speed of a erevo.Funny thing is, i called it a summevo lol. Awesome project man! I sure miss those waterproof days though, nearly cartwheeled into a creek today and nearly crapped myself so yeah..
    hmm there goes another wheel.....

Thanks.. I had a Summit a couple of years ago. Sold it thought I wanted more speed. Then went & bought another one lol...

I sure miss those waterproof days though, nearly cartwheeled into a creek today
    Where you saying stop stOP STOP.

RC Champion
    Ha ha I know that feeling. Stop stop stoooooop. I see some masking tape in my future. Never thought of that before.

I took the Canyon's off about 3 weeks ago, still no snow. I noticed the wheel bearing cutting into the HPI hubs. So here is what I came up with & there is a small prob.

I have alot of spare parts & screws, not sure if they came with the Summit bulk heads or the Summit screw kits...

The spacers are MW 6x10x2. This washer is a spacer for the Summit Rocker Arm Post #5354. There is one spacer on the left rear & one on the right front. Here is the prob there is no p/n, & I have yet to find this size of washer. I have looked about everywhere, hardware stores, online, hobby shop, etc.. So if you know where I (we) can find a 6x10x2 flat metal washer I need twenty more of them....

pic

===Installed

===

Last edited by 87 GN; 02-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Washersusa.com does custom washers...! But there is a 1000 piece order minimum Best of luck finding some!

Thanks that is a few more than twenty..

RC Qualifier
    Have to tried Fastenal they have helped me out several times I get all my hard to find atv nuts,bolts,washers from them manufactures prices are just to expensive
    ERBE,Losi 8ight,Slash 4X4

RC Qualifier
    This might work...? http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...160-06106.html

Hopefully the mods don't mind if I post a link to a totally unrelated to rc site...?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewers74 View Post
    Have to tried Fastenal they have helped me out several times I get all my hard to find atv nuts,bolts,washers from them manufactures prices are just to expensive
    I tried on line, I will have to call the local Fastenal. That will be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by ssanderson1 View Post
    This might work...? http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts...160-06106.html

Hopefully the mods don't mind if I post a link to a totally unrelated to rc site...?
    Humm yep the is the one.....

Spacers need to be 6x10x2mm.. I found four, HPI 86121 Brass washers 5x10x3mm..... $1.76... So I had to mod a bit, I put them in the lathe & drilled the center hole out to 15/64 (.234). 6mm is (.236). Then turned them down .022... they are now 0.100 thick. That is the perfect thickness..

RC poster
    87 GN how's it going I need some of those washers to that you just mod. is there any way that you can make me some to . I will buy them from you if you can buy the HPI Washers and mod them for me . Let me know what you can do for me because my wheels are wobbling every where lol also even one of my front wheels came off when i was bashing one day lol because it wobbles so much ..

I went to the hardware store & found reg 6mm washers.

ID .255
    Thickness .060
    OD .470

In short they are close, but I don't think they will work, OD is to big.

123 shot me a PM.......

Last edited by 87 GN; 03-20-2012 at 08:30 PM.

RC Racer
    Great info. I have seen some of it.

Your build is awesome!!

RC Champion
    For some reason Lowes and HD dont carry a good small bolt assortment. Try to find a Small local hardware store. They seem to have the good stuff.
    Its All relative to your perspective.

Try Tractor Supply or Orscheln's both are farm stores. I went to Orscheln's, 5mm will be close but I don't think so.. to small.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post

===

===

===

===cup is full

How are your diffs holding up? I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Great thread BTW.

SumRevo is doing fine, I never put a BL system on it. I left the brushed system on it so I can play in wet weather..
    The Locked rear diff is doing good (prob because of the brushed system). Sence I have the other locked diff I'm thinking of putting it in the front as well... Turning will be Terrible, but it is more of a cralwer anyways. My Summit will not be happy, if I do....lol I have been "slowly" working on a "little" project. Trying to get it done before I post it.

Great thread BTW.
    THANKS....

RC Racer
    Thanks 87 GN, I'm building something similar to your SumRevo with a titan 775 and a Summit transmission. I had almost half a truck in spare parts so I thought I may as well put them to good use. I'll definitely be trying your diff locking method, thanks for the idea.

Gorilla Tape came out with three inch tape. So I bought a set of Geode 3.8 chrome rims p/n TRX 5671, & powder coated them. Also bought a new set of Talon 3.8 p/n TRA 5370 tires. Turned the tires inside out, to tape them. I put the foam in, to help hold the shape of the tire better, worked quite well. The tape did not lay as well as I would have liked, a few fold overs on the outer edge.. but it turned out ok....The sidewall protector.. beadlock style, are painted with Patra orange. For a little project..I've been working on......

===

Last edited by 87 GN; 05-18-2012 at 08:48 PM.