RC poster

How to fully discharge batteries?

do i need to fully discharge my 5000 mah batteries before charging again or is it not that big of a deal. if i do whats the easiest way to do it. also whats the best way to waterproof the batteries? i tried electrical tape on the ends and i tried my best to make a perfect seal but nothing worked. i heard of liquid electrical tape and am willing to try that, and also baloons and zip ties, but since the batteries are so close to the motors in the villain ex the ballons will probably melt. any suggestions for both of these?

These sorts of questions (about discharging your battery) need to be directed towards the manufacturer of your battery packs. Support of this nature is not permitted for non-Traxxas products.

As for waterproofing them, most methods just trap excess heat (not good). I always just put a few small holes in the shrink wrap of my Ni-Mh packs for the water to evaporate (if any gets in).
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-30-2011 at 08:54 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    for some reason my villain takes on a lot of water sometimes halfway covering the batteries, because i like running my boat in light waves, seeping in the hole where the cords enter. my traxxas batteries are rusty from this. should i spray something inside to keep the new ones from rusting? also i tried electrical tape, didnt work moisture still entered, tried little sponges under batteries but raised battery packs too high to the villain motors and burnt holes in my batteries, was gonna try balloons but that seems like it will trap way too much heat and also melt on the motors if not the batteries, i heard of liquid electrical tape. i guess last thing i can try would be that or spray something in the battery pack to keep it from rusting if thats safe?

If that much water is getting in your hull with only light chop/waves, something else might be wrong. My Villain never has that much water in it, no matter what water conditions (believe me, I've been in most all of them!). My guess is that your hatch isn't sealing well. Are you doing a lot of reversing?

As for the batteries, you really have to be careful about wrapping them, as I noted above, because of heat issues. You could use something like Corrosion X (a water repellant...I use it to waterproof my servos) on the batteries. But I would look into sealing up your hatch/hull better before doing anything else with your batteries.

RC poster
    Well the lid doesn't seem to not be sealing it but it's prob leaking somewhere and I know reversing dumps water in the back so I try not to do that. So corrosion x the battery's and make small holes in them? Also what's a good way to try to seal the hatch better? Like a rubber sealant along the edge or like a rubber or foam strip?

If you think that you have a leak, I'd do some testing to make sure. Remove the radio tray so you can see the lower part of the transom, fill up a bathtub, and look for any leaks. Some people have also had issues with water getting in from between the upper and lower hulls (where they join together). To seal that up, you could run a bead of silicone sealant under the lip of the upper hull where the two parts of the hull come together.

As for sealing the hatch better, a rubber or foam strip around the top would probably work well; then you'd have something extra to seal the hatch to the hull. I'd definitely check for leaks first, though.