RC poster

Exclamation Tmaxx 3.3 Problems

im having a few problems and i hope someone on here can help me. this is the second engine that has had this problem. i dont really remember why i sent back the first 3.3 engine but now i have this new one and it still wont ever tune properly. im pretty sure its not air leakage cause i sealed the first engine and it still had the problems. and now every time i run my truck for over a few minutes it starts gurgling and then revving extremely high at idle and i have to shut it off immediately.

also now on this new engine the clutch makes dust below the engine every time and the clutches most likley need to be replaced now. i already took the engine appart before and nothing seemed to be making it shave off the clutch shoes. the spring is most likley uncovered now on the shoes. any suggestions there?

thanks.

Last edited by KurtisMenig; 07-27-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: pics

RC poster
    added pics. i think the clutch bell might be scratched now on that line in the middle from the clutch shoes being too work and the spring was scraping on it? i couldnt tell or hear anything. but what i dont get is why it is doing this ive only ran the truck a few times and it was brand new from traxxas they sent me a replacement motor with this on it. so how would a brand new clutch bell and shoes do this in a few days..

I'd suggest returning the needles to factory settings, and retune. Possibly refer to a tuning guide. For the clutch bell, you could use lite grit sandpaper or steel wool and run around the inside a bit.
    Either you are the Predator or you are the prey

RC Champion
    you clutch shoes are wore out. it looks like they may have soaked up some oil some how. possibly from a leaky front bearing. as far as the clutch bell goes. clean the bearings with denatured achohol . i just put mine in a plastic bowl with the alcohol and swish it around for awhile . maybe use a small brush to scrub them some.

use a fine grit sandpaper to clean up the inside of the bell. if it is scratched it shouldnt hurt it. it may make it grab better when it engages . eventually it should polish itself out as you run more.

i wish i could help with your tuning issue, but it is hard for me to do by reading it. ill defer the tuning to people better at tuning then me lol.
    signed by me

Scott<pretend its fancy letters

RC poster
    so its not good to run the truck with the clutch shoes this worn? and why would they ware out so fast its brand new stock from traxxas all i did was the break in process and prob 5 short 10 minute runs with it

Traxxas normally does not send a new engine with a flywheel/clutch and clutch bell.
    Did you send the old engine to them with the clutch and clutch bell attached?
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    yes i did. it looked brand new when i got it

RC Champion
    if it is leaned out to much for some reason. that would cause overrev and wear the shoes very fast

from looking at all the oil slung on your carb and carb dust boot in the forth pic i would suggest checking for an air leak around the front bearing.
    signed by me

RC Champion
    question for you

am i correct in believing that you sealed you first engine then sent it back to traxxas ???
    signed by me

Quote Originally Posted by riverrattt View Post
    from looking at all the oil slung on your carb and carb dust boot in the forth pic i would suggest checking for an air leak around the front bearing.
    Your right about that. I didn't even notice when I saw those pics the first time. That's probably enough of a front bearing leak to cause a tuning issue.

RC Champion
    ive never heard of traxxas replacing a user sealed engine. i was wondering if after they cleaned up the outside,then they found out it was sealed , if they may have bounced it back to him un repaired????

also like snook said , they usually dont send them out completely assembled. the one time i send then an engine with a flywheel clutch and clutch bell still attached they sent the clutch and stuff in a separate bag in the same box .
    was there any paper work telling what exactly they did to it while they had it?

some cleaners are extremely good . (i dunno what they use) bbut if it was cleaned i can see mistaking it for new if they didnt send paperwork about it
    signed by me

I've not done the replacement plan with traxxas, but the new in box engines I've had didn't have a flywheel or clutch, I don't think.

the new motor I just got from TRX did not come with either.
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

RC poster
    ya the replacement motor i recieved was brand new fully assembled and i "unsealed" the old engine before sending it in. and sorry but whats a front bearing? lol

RC poster
    it came in a box that looks like what youd get if you bought one at a store brand new with a sticker on the outside saying "clutch and motor mount installed"

They most likely remounted your old flywheel, clutch, clutch bell and engine mount on the engine.
    Bottom line is you need a new set of clutch shoes and spring and you also need to deglaze the clutch bell if you do not replace it ( I would also install new bearings in the clutch bell). The color of the bell, bearings, and crankshaft all indicate excessive heat at some point.

The gurgling sound you hear is the fuel boiling inside the engine crankcase which only happens when the engine is running too hot.
    The extremely high idle will most often make you hold the brake to keep the truck from moving which will wear the clutch shoes very quickly if the idle is high enough. Combine that with the excess fuel leakage which may have saturated the clutch shoes and the problem just compounds itself and the clutch shoes will not last very long at all.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    its the bearing that the crankshaft rides in where it exits the front of the engine.

most all front bearings leak alittle bit. but looking at the carband dust boot in the pic it looks like yours leaks pretty badly.

running rich will tend to make the leak badly. break in rich will sometimes do it as well. its just one of those things that happens sometimes.
    signed by me