Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9

    T-maxx 3.3 running really rich

    I have a t-maxx 3.3 4908 model from 2009 that was just running really good one day and then it landed on its motor and its been running really rich since. Whenever you hit the throttle it will run really rich and boggy and spit out TONS of smoke for about 15 seconds and then just shut off. Its running so rich that you can tip the truck over after you ran it and oil will come out the tail pipe. We replaced the original carb and it made no difference. Me and my dad are at our wits end trying to fix it and he is a mechanic. We are going to try to air check it. We turned the high speed needle to 1 3/4 turns out and low speed to about 1 1/2 turns out in around 85 degrees F and 60% humidity.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. tphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Where I lay my head is home.
    Posts
    3,276
    1 3/4 turns out from closed on the hsn is probably running a bit lean.
    Either you are the Predator or you are the prey

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    But its rich.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. morganko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by tphill View Post
    1 3/4 turns out from closed on the hsn is probably running a bit lean.
    probably??? even I'd say that is waaaaaaaaay lean!
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    Exactly but id say its normal running high speed is about 2 1/2.

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Rockville,Maryland
    Posts
    77
    dude. i suggest you start from factory setting man. start by leaning them out by small turns. factory setting for Hsn is i think 4 turns out and Lsn is 2 turns out.My t maxx running weird right now. i don't know if it too rich like yours or too lean. after i start it and idle for 5 seconds, it did a wheelie on the grass and died in 10-15 seconds. it have a lot(not like a lot) of blue smoke. then i saw some smoke coming out maybe from the engine i am sure. the cooling head was pretty hot(not that hot). i tried to put just a little of water and it didn't evaporate.

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    But its rich

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    705
    why do you think its rich? bad performance? because that can be a sign of too lean too

  9. #9
    RC poster
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16
    are you thinking it rich because of the excessive exhaust smoke and fuel from exhaust? is glow plug ok? I have been running mine t-maxx's on outdoor track in 85-90 degree air and am waaaaay richer on hsn than you are. about 3 1/2 on my 3.3. dont forget the basics here. set lsn and hsn to default then look for other problems that could be causing your concern. I have chased my tail with lsn/hsn settings to find out I had other issues instead. I did have a "bad" glow plug cause stalling concerns even though it would light up the light on my eazy-start. installed new glow plug, ran great.

  10. #10
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    If it was lean would it be spitting tons of smoke and enough oil to squirt out the end of the pipe.

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by mxzman View Post
    are you thinking it rich because of the excessive exhaust smoke and fuel from exhaust? is glow plug ok? I have been running mine t-maxx's on outdoor track in 85-90 degree air and am waaaaay richer on hsn than you are. about 3 1/2 on my 3.3. dont forget the basics here. set lsn and hsn to default then look for other problems that could be causing your concern. I have chased my tail with lsn/hsn settings to find out I had other issues instead. I did have a "bad" glow plug cause stalling concerns even though it would light up the light on my eazy-start. installed new glow plug, ran great.
    Ive used MANY glow plugs from different brands it doesnt change it.

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    705
    you're mixing up lean and rich. Rich is when the engine has an excess amount of fuel coming into it. It will have blue smoke and fuel spitting out of the exhaust. Lean means the engine isn't getting enough fuel. When you turn the needle counter-clockwise, you are making the opening that the fuel flows through bigger. The factory setting are rich, which means that the needles are allowing more fuel to go into the engine than necessary. When you start tuning it, you turn the needle clockwise to allow less fuel into the engine. Engines run better with less fuel until they get to a point where they aren't getting enough and start to overheat and lose power.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx101399 View Post
    If it was lean would it be spitting tons of smoke and enough oil to squirt out the end of the pipe.

  13. #13
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdriver5 View Post
    you're mixing up lean and rich. Rich is when the engine has an excess amount of fuel coming into it. It will have blue smoke and fuel spitting out of the exhaust. Lean means the engine isn't getting enough fuel. When you turn the needle counter-clockwise, you are making the opening that the fuel flows through bigger. The factory setting are rich, which means that the needles are allowing more fuel to go into the engine than necessary. When you start tuning it, you turn the needle clockwise to allow less fuel into the engine. Engines run better with less fuel until they get to a point where they aren't getting enough and start to overheat and lose power.
    No i dont have them mixed up i know what lean and rich are ive had it for 3 years and it blew up once and ive never had a problem until now.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nova Scotia (Eh!)
    Posts
    422
    Maybe your HSN is very rich and your LSN is really lean?
    back

  15. #15
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by maxidodies View Post
    Maybe your HSN is very rich and your LSN is really lean?
    What do you think the settings should be?

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Rockville,Maryland
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxx101399 View Post
    What do you think the settings should be?
    I don't want you to hurt your engine man, thats why i told you start factory setting and start leaning it.

    my Hsn is actually 3 and 3/4 turns from out and about 2 turns out for the Lsn maybe? try that.

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by pantat7 View Post
    I don't want you to hurt your engine man, thats why i told you start factory setting and start leaning it.

    my Hsn is actually 3 and 3/4 turns from out and about 2 turns out for the Lsn maybe? try that.
    I would do this but its already rich and i dont know why.

  18. #18
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Rockville,Maryland
    Posts
    77
    Dang man. Take it to your local hobby shop and let them take a look at them. Thats the best you can do i guess.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •