RC Qualifier

Batterie usage question

So i have two wrongfully bought 2s 7.4 2000mah venom lipos and a parralel connector wich i dont use anymore since i had to buy a new 30c lipo to keep my sct and sv2 alive longer than 3 cycles.

Can i parallel connect them so i can use them in my rustler or should i just keep them until i get a plane?

RC Competitor
    why wrongfully?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ezpeak View Post
    why wrongfully?
    Because theyre 20c and a castle creations set needs at least 30c to not fry the sidewinder esc.

RC Racer
    If you parallel connect them they will provide 80 amps which is the same as a 40c. You see 20c means 20 amps for every 1000 mah. so 2000 mah 20c provides 40 amps. But connected in parallel they will equal 4000 mah, and 20C for 4000 is 80 amps. ( i hope this made sense)

RC Qualifier
    I was calling castle today and they warned me about that setup. As i found out the hard way yesterday. I fried the esc exactly with this setup

RC Racer
    oh. I hope then that the batts aren't damaged.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MERVracer View Post
    oh. I hope then that the batts aren't damaged.
    Lol... I would rather see damaged batteries then a fried black esc wich i have now...
    No harm was done and at the moment they are fully charged and waiting to be emptied by the rustler.
    But like the question was : can i use them parallel (2000 mah 2s) in a rustler or will i kill the batts with it in the long term

RC Champion
    What motor are you using ?

Castle info does not sound correct without knowing the amp draw of your system

Parallel 2000mah 20c packs should be plenty for almost any motor in these small cars

Higher 'c' rated packs will show a small but noticeable difference but will certainly not kill the 20c packs or the ESC

Cheers
    Slash Platinum
    Xerun 150 / Tenshock SC401 3500kv

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crusey View Post
    What motor are you using ?

Castle info does not sound correct without knowing the amp draw of your system

Parallel 2000mah 20c packs should be plenty for almost any motor in these small cars

Higher 'c' rated packs will show a small but noticeable difference but will certainly not kill the 20c packs or the ESC

Cheers

They knew the setup and cars

I'd have to disagree with Castle on this one. I have run bigger heavier trucks than a MERV on Castle systems with packs as low as 15c without issue. If a battery i s not up to supplying the system I think the battery is what is in jeopardy of getting damaged long before the ESC is hurt.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

i agree with dad and crusey, the esc is jsut a switch, it can only suplly as much power as your batteries deliver to the motor... if your batteries aren't up to par, then your batteries get cooked, not the esc

RC Champion
    Is it a secret what motor are you talking about ?

How did you have the car geared when you killed the ESC ?

Are Castle replacing the ESC ?

The only reason they ever suggest higher spec batteries is to keep ripple current down

With a 540 sized motor in these little cars you are unlikely to see a burst amp draw over 80 amps, unless you gear incorrectly

No reason at all why parallel 20c packs wouldnt do the job

Remember that not all 20c packs are created equal !

Cheers
    Last edited by crusey; 07-27-2011 at 04:46 PM.
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Is it a secret what motor are you talking about ?

No secret : sv2 with a 5700

How did you have the car geared when you killed the ESC ?

Have to check that.

Are Castle replacing the ESC ?

yup, they did

The only reason they ever suggest higher spec batteries is to keep ripple current down

With a 540 sized motor in these little cars you are unlikely to see a burst amp draw over 80 amps, unless you gear incorrectly

No reason at all why parallel 20c packs wouldnt do the job

Remember that not all 20c packs are created equal !

Cheers
    The thing is. I got 2 esc's fried and both had a 20c(correction, the rustler pack has 25) battery in them. One is the rustler and the other is the merv. It just cant be a coincidence that both sct and sv2 fried after the 2nd cycle of the batt. The rustler was geared 13x54 btw.

Altough i had a lot of problems all were solved pretty easy woth the sv2. When castle guesses the fault the seco d i tell em of the problem and when i said i had two venoms connected parallel on the merv, the first thing he said was the c value. The rustler pack has a 25c value, with both fried esc's and both c's under 30 its quite believable that the c value was the big baddie

Having trouble editinig posts on ipad, sorry.
    He said the ripple current is what killed it (both)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-28-2011 at 11:48 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    How were the cars geared ?

How many amps were you drawing ?

What were motor / esc temps before they died ?

As I said ............. Not all 20c packs are created equal, ditch the Venoms !

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    How were the cars geared ?

On the merv 28x55 (got the tip from rc fan)
    On the ruslter 13x54

How many amps were you drawing ?
    None, both Cars were turned on at the moment of burndown

What were motor / esc temps before they died ?
    Cold, both were turned off for at least half a day before deepfrying

As I said ............. Not all 20c packs are created equal, ditch the Venoms !
    Are they that bad?

Cheers
    Return the cheers

RC Champion
    The ESC died when you turned it on and they are blaming ripple current ?

I must have missed something in this equation

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    The ESC died when you turned it on and they are blaming ripple current ?

I must have missed something in this equation

Cheers
    It did funny things before i turned it off, wich werent suppose to come to think of it. That could lead to a crusty smell when i turned it on..

RC Qualifier
    Battery draw, current draw, and everything is determined not by the motor/esc, but by the weight of your car. Because the sv2 is a 1/10 scale system, designed for much bigger vehicles, castle recommends having batteries with a higher discharge rate. However, Because you are running it in a 1/16 scale vehicle, it does not need the amperage that castle recommends. theoretically the sv2 will draw the same current as the 3m (actually it will probably draw less because castle ESC's are more energy-efficient than most other brands.
    Are the tires supposta to blow off going into 2nd?

RC Qualifier
    So that means i have to look elsewhere for the problem...?

RC Champion
    The Sidewinders (SV2 and SCT) have been plagued with problems and have had plenty of failures, seems to be hit and miss if you get a good one

Some have no problems running huge amps through them and some have them fail when not doing much at all

I'm not saying Castle's suggestion of high 'c' discharge rated packs is incorrect

A 50 amp burst load should be a walk in the park for the ESC with parallel 20c 2000mah sized packs

Higher spec packs are not expensive but I would be looking at a different ESC as well

Cheers
    Slash Platinum

RC Qualifier
    Well.. I have bought the sv2 just a mnth ago and want to keep usong the sct or sv2. If all the rest can do it so can i.

Quote Originally Posted by synoman View Post
    Well.. I have bought the sv2 just a mnth ago and want to keep usong the sct or sv2. If all the rest can do it so can i.
    it is obvious it wont work for you for whatever reason.... maybe you got duds, or did something wrong..... i don't see how you still want to use them, if they don't work....

i knew that the sidewinder and it's variants werent as capable as a mmp, so i got the mmp...... no issues at all

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    it is obvious it wont work for you for whatever reason.... maybe you got duds, or did something wrong..... i don't see how you still want to use them, if they don't work....

i knew that the sidewinder and it's variants werent as capable as a mmp, so i got the mmp...... no issues at all
    Well both of em are replaced and newat the moment. Why would i want to replace them. I bought the sv2 and sct for a reason and that is budget. I knew they werent that good as a mmp, but giving up this fast scare me too. Got thm replaced and well see what happens.