RC Enthusiast

Question How to make a Racer?

Hi guys, I have a Revo 2.5r and I was wondering what parts would be needed to make it a race truck. I'm pretty broke now, but I am trying to make a list and buy some parts soon. I'm going to go with the OS .21TM and I will try to find a good servo, so I can use only one. Buying RPM A-arms, bumpers and the barring carriers. Any other good mods to race? I'm currently looking for a local track and if not I will make one myself. Thanks guys!
    Also I really like the Platinum Wheels, will they fit on my 2.5r?

I really love my O.S .21tm, but if your low on funds, I would suggest spending your money on mods like a wing and a wing mount, a nice set of tires/rims on 17mm hexes etc. IMO the engine should come after your maxing out the potential of your current mill. Many don't like the RPM arms for racing as they are designed to flew more than the stiffer TRX arms, but they do carry the warranty- so it's personal choice. My Race Revo is running TRX arms and hubs (I really love the TRX rear extended wheelbase arms). Going single servo: is best when upgrading to a digital system. You can shave the pivots balls and gain even more steering throw as well. You need more torque for single servo configurations, and more torque costs more money. To ensure a long servo life: digital radios have EPA (End Point Adjustments), which you can setup to limit the max steering angles. It all comes down to what you want to the most, but I'de suggest setting up your suspension and wheels/tires before going with a larger motor.
    Learn by doing

RC Champion
    Well kyleader just said everything, except the suspension setup so ill say that.

You are gonna want to put the P2 rockers on it. then adjust your pushrod to the middle or lowest setting on the a-arm (i put it on lowest and have good results with it), and you are gonna want put a spring combo you like (i used blue springs in rear and silver in front, nice and stiff and perfect for racing), a wing would be good because it gives you more control in the air, some good truggy tires, and probably a few other things. Thats how i setup mine when i race, and ive always done very very well, and i race against big block truggies
    Hows that nitro taste on your electric?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the great info guys! Now that I think about it, I feel kind of stupid about not thinking about suspension. ToXiC, May I ask what other mods you have? I thought about going to a VXL Slash, but Nitro is my thing. so I'm going to upgrade my old and trusty Revo. Also would a 3.3 chassis be needed and is the only difference the Drive Shafts?

RC Champion
    The 2.5 will turn tighter than the 3.3 so if you plan to race it I say rock the 2.5 chassis. Get the traxxas variable dampening shock kit its under 10 bucks. It allows you to have a choice of stock compression and faster rebound or the other way around. Next get every part you can to make it lighter. The front center and steering links will be needed to change to the 3.3 chassis. A center diff for racing is going to be a great investment along with a rear brake kit. So a new trans case will be needed to accommodate the rear brake kit.

Diff oils will be needed there are a lot of weights out there from 1k all the way to 500k. For racing its general that light weights are used in front and rear, for the center its universal 500k for any revo. Too light and it will act as a front wheel drive too heavy might as well put in the cheap FOC kit or leave it stock. I used ofna diff lock lube which is thicker than 500k and my fronts just skittered across the ground. Today I put in 500k and burnt up the center diff gear but this is in a converted nitro (brushless power is an awesome thing). I like the tekno throttle linkage no more strain of the return spring dragging down the throttle servo also no binding, though its a bit sloppy until you punch it. Odds are you will not note it because I never did while driving it.

With an after market 2.4gh radio that is meant for racing you can set throttle punch. It opens up the carb faster with less input. The radio can make the truck feel better on a track depending on its programmable features to. This is a place to spend a few hundred as you can tune the truck even more past the up grades and tuning you do to the truck its self. Also there is the comfort factor if you can hold it for hours on end and it doesn't cause pain because its too heavy, also a cushion or rubber grip IMO is a must. If your tx/rx combo doesn't have a fail safe that will be a good investment as well. As mentioned before good servos are a must. I love my single steering hitec hs7955tg tosses my trenchers around like rag dolls next would be a good servo that has I would say around 150inoz of torque for the throttle/brake duty like the hitec hs5645mg with an added light weight mount like the slayer or tekno mount. With a FOC or center diff you will not need the huge box with the reverse servo if you have that.

Last there is a huge thread on here for racing revos find it and read. Its a few years old and I think locked but has some good info in it still.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Champion
    1 more thing... if you gonna use the 2.5 chassis with center diff and rear brake kit ... the chassis needs to be mode dot accept the rear brake.. you should get a template with the kit when you buy it....
    you know.. i never had a sig.. but i do now...

Sway bars are inexpensive and would probably help handling also.
    Either you are the Predator or you are the prey

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys! I will look into Radio's, Thanks for that tip Insanity!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 250rider View Post
    Hi guys, I have a Revo 2.5r and I was wondering what parts would be needed to make it a race truck. I'm pretty broke now, but I am trying to make a list and buy some parts soon. I'm going to go with the OS .21TM and I will try to find a good servo, so I can use only one. Buying RPM A-arms, bumpers and the barring carriers. Any other good mods to race? I'm currently looking for a local track and if not I will make one myself. Thanks guys!
    Also I really like the Platinum Wheels, will they fit on my 2.5r?
    I'm in the same boat as you, just going to get a 3.3TRX and will be getting the Tekno wing mount, already got a wing and just need to get a new servo because the stock 2055 is total crap.