RC Enthusiast

Question Automotive paint on a lexan body?

Just got my ford raptor body today, and I was wondering if I could use automotive paint or if i would have to buy the hobby paint.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Depends what kind of paint automotive paint actually is- if it is enamel based, then no, terrible stuff to use as it wont flex, just cracks and chips- test some on an empty pop-bottle if you arent sure.

Ideally you should use lexan / polycarbonate paint which wont crack or flake as the shell flexes- it isnt that expensive really for a few small rattle cans.
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I'll ask him tomorrow. My cousin is painting his old chevy truck snakeskin green. He'll have some left over so i thought it would look awesome if he could paint the body with it. BTW the stickers go on the outside right? Wasn't sure if they might go on the inside so the wouldn't get scratched off.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    Ok I'll ask him tomorrow. My cousin is painting his old chevy truck snakeskin green. He'll have some left over so i thought it would look awesome if he could paint the body with it. BTW the stickers go on the outside right? Wasn't sure if they might go on the inside so the wouldn't get scratched off.
    The stickers go on the outside unless you have reversed stickers.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

RC Enthusiast
    I thought so. This is the first body I've ever painted myself, so this whole thing is a learning experience to me. lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanJ View Post
    I thought so. This is the first body I've ever painted myself, so this whole thing is a learning experience to me. lol
    Nobody was born with experience! lol
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

Here is a good tutorial on body painting. You want to make sure your prep they body by washing the inside with a mild solution of dish soap. Where he uses liquid mask you can use masking tape and the window masks that come with the body.

http://www.team3sixrc.com/airbushing101.htm

I also recommend checking out Youtube for some videos on RC body painting before you get started.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Enthusiast
    I was gonna upload some pictures of it but i don't know how to. Do you guys know?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Enthusiast
    i just got a photobucket account. here are the latest pictures. its the proline ford raptor body with paint from a 2008 dodge viper its called snakeskin green. in the sun you can see the different colors in it, there is a blueish-green color and a greenish-gold. hope you all like it http://photobucket.com/snakeskingree...view=slideshow

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice colour, shame about the paint bleeding around the windows & wheel arches but not bad for a first attempt.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good. Keep us updated on how the paint is holding up

RC Qualifier
    plasticoat primer is your friend..........................
    and its clear.
    Slash VXL, E- Maxx 2 , comin' through!

RC Enthusiast
    2nd day of bashing with the body and already have a nice size crack in the hood. it fell off the base for a cabin im building witha buddy. about a foot drop at 10 mph right on the corner of a 6x6. ouch!

RC poster
    I read so many alternatives instead of painting cars. Like gel coating, it looks amazing. However, though a lot of people will take such things for granted, a ton of work goes into making car paint including car paint testing. Car makers test car paint and make sure that it can stand up to the punishment the elements deal out and do not even charge people for it.

RC Champion
    This tread is very old lol.

Lexan paint is great for rc bodies because if flexs.