RC Competitor

Summit 4WS channel options, what to sacrifice??

I'm trying to get my head around the electronics and channels to set up 4WS on my summit without sacrificing much to free up the extra channel. I've read Quadiak's thread a few times and have come up with this, can anybody tell me if it WONT work??

Using HK767 servos front & rear (1 each) running off a CC BEC Pro and Punk RC Dual Steering Computer. I like my options (eg Hi/Lo/independent lockers etc.) and I still want full functionality of the PRCDSC via a 3 way switch on channel 3.

So far I believe this should work, but will running the gear shift servo (currently channel 3) off a Y harness from channel 5 (rear T lock) work? Is it simply plug them into the harness? So when I engage the rear locker it also engages low range?

I figure my only sacrifice this way is loosing the option of a rear locker in high range and no lockers in low range and vice versa to disengage?
    another Dewalt...another frequently broken Summit.

RC Qualifier
    Are you using the 2.4ghz or 27mghz system?
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

When i wanted to run my winch of the high/low channel.I y harnessed my shift servo to the front locker so lock front and low range as well. then rear locker,The only reason i did it that way was persanal preference plus can't be in high with any diff locked.Saves me from doing something stupid,which i have been known to do...:RE See 80 foot tumble down the side of a mountain.ripped out a rear toe link and a gash in the sidewall of my tire reconnected the link and finished the run.Good thing the truck is tough or mine would be a sculpture or abstract art by now...LOL
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Personally I would combine Shifting+ Diff locking because personally I would never crawl in high gear. So it would work perfect. And now I am thinking of making myself some 4ws
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    2.4ghz, until this weekend I'd never "knowingly" driven in high with lockers on...but conditions dictated I did (option was a flat bypass or carry it) and nothing was broken due to the wet loose rocky & dirt climbing....or sheer luck!

This has led me to want a locker in high if possible, but only on rare occasions.

So far just about all of my failures have come from vines or grass wrapping around the axle and me not backing off soon enough.

RC Qualifier
    well that is what I would do, lockers in High is bad for the lockers. I don’t know about U but I only use low when I have lockers locked in. So for me using the High/Low switch for the rear steer and running a Y Harness to the first engaging locker(Ch. 4 I think) and low servo, then when u engage the locker it would engage low, should not lose anything, would work for me.

I have my Front locker to engage first so that I get more pull than push. But sounds like you have a good plan. Please post more info if you build it, my only problem was tring to find a clean way to mount it, for me it has to work and look like it should be there I do not want to just hack up something and screw it
    No you cant drive it
    my RC is owner operated only

Quote Originally Posted by blue_uscg View Post
    well that is what I would do, lockers in High is bad for the lockers. I don’t know about U but I only use low when I have lockers locked in. So for me using the High/Low switch for the rear steer and running a Y Harness to the first engaging locker(Ch. 4 I think) and low servo, then when u engage the locker it would engage low, should not lose anything, would work for me.

I have my Front locker to engage first so that I get more pull than push. But sounds like you have a good plan. Please post more info if you build it, my only problem was tring to find a clean way to mount it, for me it has to work and look like it should be there I do not want to just hack up something and screw it
    noir built his(funky geko) using the fronts of two chassis looks good but is a bit more than i want to do
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cap51z View Post
    2.4ghz, until this weekend I'd never "knowingly" driven in high with lockers on...but conditions dictated I did (option was a flat bypass or carry it) and nothing was broken due to the wet loose rocky & dirt climbing....or sheer luck!

This has led me to want a locker in high if possible, but only on rare occasions.

So far just about all of my failures have come from vines or grass wrapping around the axle and me not backing off soon enough.
    You can sometimes get away with high+lockers, but no matter what conditions you are in it still stresses the drivetrain alot more. If you have a link system you could set it up so that 4a is lockers and 4b is low gear (you have to engage 4a to access 4b so it would work). If you have the current link+ 5 channel RX 4a is channel 4 and 4b is channel 5/ battery
    Brushless Summit!!!!!
    Slash 4x4

RC Competitor
    just ordered everything....except the servo. Out of stock lol. Guess I will initiate this with a 2075 and see how long it lasts...good thing I have 2 spares.

thanks for all the info and advice lads. Will keep ya posted on how it turns out.