Thread: Heat Sink

RC Racer

Heat Sink

Just wanted to let you all know, the Traxxas brand heat sink for the 380 motor is in stock at buytraxxas.com now! I ordered mine straight from them along with some other trx parts. It looks like it will come with some thermal paste. It's not available from Horizon or Tower yet so i hope it comes quick!

RC Qualifier
    Cool. Thanks for the update.
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Qualifier
    do you think will this heatsink allow you to gear up a couple teeth?

RC Racer
    I don't know. It looks like it has a lot of surface area. Lots of wide fins.

I dont think anyone can say for sure how well it works until someone gets one and shows a temp drop. That being said the best heat sink I have ever used was the Traxxas heat sink from the Villian boat. On my Rustler with a MM/5700 it dropped temps 10
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I just hope it will keep me below 180 when i'm bashing on 2s lipos with 23/50 gearing.

RC Qualifier
    im thinking if you already found a gearing that keeps your motor cool, adding a heatsink would only increase the cooling, which would then allow you to increase the gearing.

Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    im thinking if you already found a gearing that keeps your motor cool, adding a heatsink would only increase the cooling, which would then allow you to increase the gearing.
    It is just my opinion but I dont think any heat sink is going to make up for not having the truck geared properly. I look at them as a cooling aide only, in other words gear the truck properly so you run within safe limits without the heat sink then get a few extra degrees of safety with the heat sink. I think if you are buying a heat sink thinking you are going to be able to gear up and run a lot faster you are going to be disappointed.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I don't need to run faster. I just want to be able to run longer before i park it to cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by MERVracer View Post
    I don't need to run faster. I just want to be able to run longer before i park it to cool off.
    If you cant get through a pack without letting it cool off you probably should consider gearing it down a little.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    MERV

RC Racer
    How easy would you think it is to remove the sink to put it on a new motor if you blow up the motor? Just curious if I should swap out my new motor before I get it or not.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Racer
    Well dad, i run 2000 mah packs in parallel so i get up to maybe an hour of runtime. I can run 15 or 20 min. before letting it cool.

Right now i'm running the 23 tooth "speed" pinion that came with the truck.

Well dad, i run 2000 mah packs in parallel so i get up to maybe an hour of runtime. I can run 15 or 20 min. before letting it cool.

Right now i'm running the 23 tooth "speed" pinion that came with the truck.
    What is the advantage of running packs in parallel if you have to stop to let the truck cool down? Wouldn't it be better to run one pack at a time? The truck would be lighter and handle and accelerate better and you could probably make it through an entire pack. Then it could cool off while you swap out batteries.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I don't really know, to tell you the truth. But running in parallel cuts the amp draw in half for each battery. I wanted to break them in pretty easy so i've been running in parallel. Also, parallel gives twice the amperage so it should be at least a bit more responsive and "punchy" with 2. I can pull a standing backflip with 2 full 2s batteries, so I don't think the extra weight hurts much.

I don't really know, to tell you the truth. But running in parallel cuts the amp draw in half for each battery. I wanted to break them in pretty easy so i've been running in parallel. Also, parallel gives twice the amperage so it should be at least a bit more responsive and "punchy" with 2. I can pull a standing backflip with 2 full 2s batteries, so I don't think the extra weight hurts much.
    I think the added weight hurts the way the truck handles more than you might think but if the set up works for you so be it. Most of these little trucks will do the standing back flip on a single 2s, both of the MERV's in this house will. If I was having to stop to let the truck cool off I would sure think about running a single pack and re gearing, but that is your call.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Well my lipos are broke in by now i think, so I might try some of the different options. Just curious, how is yours geared on 2s? I figured anything lower than 23/50 would hurt speed pretty bad especially when I use the center diff. I like how it handles with the center diff, but I like wheelies too so i don't have it in right now.

I'm geared 23/50 running on Dirt Hawg tires mounted on Traxxas Dish rims.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    It just came in the mail today! I put it on and I'm getting ready to see what it does.

RC Qualifier
    I notice a significant power increase when running parallel 2s batts compared to only one. I think that power and acceleration outweigh the weight added by the extra pack. The weight could actually be encouraging the tires to "bite" a bit better too. I do though agree that it changes the way the truck handles, sometimes in a negative way.
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Racer
    Well I can definitely say the heat sink helps! I was bashing/doing speed runs in short grass earlier while monitoring my temps. The motor stays about 15 to 20 degrees cooler than the esc, when before it usually was about the same. I could blow on the motor a bit and cool it down a degree or two.

RC Qualifier
    how much thermal grease did you apply and how did you apply it? (dab, line ?)

i dont see why you are having any heat issues, i run the 23/50 combo, and run spc 2300 2s batteries, in series and parallel, and don't have to let it cool off....

RC Qualifier
    A fan on the heat sink works a lot better than just the heat sink by itself. I can sit there with my temp gun and watch the temp go down.

RC Racer
    well, varunaX, i think i put on too much thermal grease because when i clipped it on it squeezed out all over the place lol I simply put it on there and spread it around with my finger, then wiped it off my hands.

RC Qualifier
    fans and heat sinks work great for me. its been 100F here all summer that means five to ten minutes of run time to get another 60F and wait, sinks and fans and I might get through a whole pack

RC Qualifier
    What sink/fan is a decent setup? Do you guys run them on the motor and esc both? Its been hitting true temps of 108F with 80% humidity, IDK what the heat index is. I had to quit playing with my nitro and the merv is getting hot fast on 2s 23/50.
    Revo MM CC2200
    Rusty MMP CC3800
    Merv SV2 CC5700

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    i dont see why you are having any heat issues, i run the 23/50 combo, and run spc 2300 2s batteries, in series and parallel, and don't have to let it cool off....
    Well I think that part of the problem is it's over 100 most days here in kansas. the other day it was about 111F

RC poster
    running 23/50, outside temp about 91, heat index 95. i run in short grass (about 1/2 inch) with 1 stock NiMH. thermal shutdown occurs after about 10 minutes. everything is scorching hot, battery, motor and ESC. also happens with the 1600mha Duratrax NiMH

RC Qualifier
    That sure sucks. I really don't think it should thermail with the stock setup, especially with only one nimh. You may wanna try cutting out the front and rear winshield and see if that helps

RC poster
    that's with a flap cut open just above the windshield