RC Racer

Thumbs up Sidewinder SCT connected to stock 380 VXL

So, I have the stock 380 connected to my SCT and it's great. The SCT barely gets warm and the motor is pretty warm (so need a fan). Anyway, for those of you interested you do the following:

1. Start with stock motor
    2. Press new Castle bullets onto the end (so the stock male connector goes into the back of the Castle connector where the wires usually go).
    3. Solder the pins together
    4. Cover with shrink wrap

And your done. This was incredibly easy and didn't require cutting off the old connectors. I don't intend to go back to a stock ESC so the connectors are on there for good.

One issue I found is that the connectors are extremely tight fitting together. The connectors on the SCT are 4mm and that's what I got, but they were so tight putting them together that I don't know if I'll be able to pull them apart without pliers. Is this pretty common for brand new Castle bullets? I did check and there was no solder in between the cuts on the male end (I've been soldering for years).

Pictures? Q: So what if the Castle decides to quit?
    The Super Derecho

Am I understanding this right, you soldered the 4mm connector onto the stock 3.5mm connector? I think it would be better to remove the 3.5mm connector and solder the wire directly into the new 4mm connector.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    @dadx2mj - I was being lazy and the stock 3.5mm connectors fit perfect in the back of the Castle 4mm connectors. It's like they were made for that. I know the correct way to do it is to cut the other connectors off and put the new ones on but that was fast and easy.

@double G - if it quits then I'll get a new Castle or have it fixed

Anyway, are the new Castle 4mm supposed to be super tight when sliding together though?

RC Enthusiast
    mine on a new sv2 5600kv combo are extremely tight. Am going to replace them with some other 4mm connectors that work more like the traxxas ones.

i too just slid the 3.5s into the wire spot on the 4mm connectors, works just fine.....

they connectors are tight.....

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    i too just slid the 3.5s into the wire spot on the 4mm connectors, works just fine.....

they connectors are tight.....
    This is just like using an adapter, it might appear to work just fine but it is adding resistance to the system and not the best idea for performance.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

i soldered my connector onto it.... i actually soldered the 3.5 to the 4mm

i mgith change it when i get back, but probably will jsut wait till i upgrade to a certain black motor for a plane, that is liek $60

RC Enthusiast
    Congrats, you're lazy! =P
    And I used a pair of pliers to pinch the "male" end of my 4mm bullets to fit a little better. Don't pinch them too much though or you'll have yourself the classic hotdog/hallway situation.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the notes guys. The MERV runs with the ESC set to deliver only 50% max power (so like training mode) total and it's geared with a 55t spur and 19t or 16t pinion (can't remember which one I put in there) so I don't think there's any maxing out of the system (it's for my 3 year old so he doesn't need it to go full speed).