RC poster

Cool E-Maxx Hop Up Mods

I need some good advice guys!

I want to put a new electric motor in my E-Maxx i am thinking Monster Mamba but i have heard there not the best when it come to getting wet?

I need lots of power and money is not a problem can anyone tell me what they recommend? i want speed reliability water proof and also what pinion and spur gears to run to achieve 70 MPH +?

Also i have RPM shock towers that are great but when they get Bashed my stock shock shafts bend?

Your advise will be welcome cheers fellas.

TraxxasMaxx-UK-Essex

RC Racer
    For one the MMM system is not waterproof just so you know. So don't try driving one across any streams or you'll be bumming out!

And no matter what you do I don't think there is any way you'll hit 70+ mph, at least I've never heard of that being done. A good brushless system will get you into the 50's and maybe 60's. If waterproof is a big plus for you (and money isn't an issue as you stated) then your only brushless option I know of is to use a V-Twin setup. That is two VXL-3S combos running together.
    E-MAXX 3905 + Villain IV + Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There are no truly waterproof BL escs ( resistant at best- see dual vxl option which is good for 60mph tops ), unless you count the antique MTronics item but I wouldnt touch that with a barge pole.

As for 70mph+, I hope you realise how hard that will be to do without spending a fortune and banging your head against a wall constantly, and I also hope you realise you need about half a mile of straight, flat, smooth tarmac road to do such a speed without the truck crashing horribly or scrambling for grip.

Something like 24/58 gearing and 2x 3s 40-50C 5000mah lipos would be required to ensure the motor isn't starved of current for such insane speed runs.

Bare in mind the drivetrain will take a pounding & more than likely require alot of work to beef it up with better driveshafts & differentials, plus some serious aero work & suspension tuning to prevent blow-overs...

Your new extended manual:

Emaxx 101:
    EMAXX FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

And direct from CastleCreations ( the esc manufacturers ):
    MMM FAQ

Driver's ED Manual

LED warning light meanings

The MMM is one of the few esc / motor systems which will get you where you want to go, not many other high-end options that are reliable or suitable enough for the loads you will place on it ( tekin rx8 is better suited for racing and for truggies, not for speedruns in mts, that just leaves the hobbywing 150amp system or a mish-mash of escs and motors to arrive at something powerful enough )....
    Keeping the Mods busy is my specialty...

RC poster
    Ok thanks guys I am going to look at the velineon motor and esc but having just spoke to my local RC shop they tell me that the hpi flux 2200 motor is a good buy and water proof? Does any one know of this motor and the blur esc working well on an e-maxx?
    UK ESSEX E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Your hobby store is staffed by idiots ( as are most, go figure... ), pay no attention to their sales patter or you will find your wallet getting raped & ending up with goods you neither need nor want for your plans.

The esc and motor used in the flux is exactly the same as the one in the BL emaxx / erevo ( Mamba Monster made by Castle creations & the 1515 1y 2200kv motor ); it is just rebadged for HPI & the motor uses a different heatsink style- they are not waterproof ( there are no waterproof BL escs, accept this fact ).

Remember that you would need a pair of vxl systems, not just one- it will not be any faster than the MMM system and is much more likely to have issues ( think: running 2 engines in a car ) with reliability and temps. Most guys will use their BL systems for going fast in the dry, save the brushed system for playing in water ( you cant drive fast through water anyway + the dirt and silt will reek havoc with the metal parts & bearing s etc ).

Think very carefully about what you are planning to do...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyofDarkness View Post
    Your hobby store is staffed by idiots ( as are most, go figure... ), pay no attention to their sales patter or you will find your wallet getting raped & ending up with goods you neither need nor want for your plans.

The esc and motor used in the flux is exactly the same as the one in the BL emaxx / erevo ( Mamba Monster made by Castle creations & the 1515 1y 2200kv motor ); it is just rebadged for HPI & the motor uses a different heatsink style- they are not waterproof ( there are no waterproof BL escs, accept this fact ).

Remember that you would need a pair of vxl systems, not just one- it will not be any faster than the MMM system and is much more likely to have issues ( think: running 2 engines in a car ) with reliability and temps. Most guys will use their BL systems for going fast in the dry, save the brushed system for playing in water ( you cant drive fast through water anyway + the dirt and silt will reek havoc with the metal parts & bearing s etc ).

Think very carefully about what you are planning to do...
    Armyofdarkness thank you for your advice I am fairly new to RC trucks as have been a nitro RC helicopter flyer for some years! I hear what your saying loud and clear! I have just ordered the MMM 2200 motor and esc I will keep it out of the sea! Lol thanks for your help in this choice I hope I like it! Just got the record what do you run? Cheers bud
    UK ESSEX E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I run the MMM esc & one of their ( discontinued ) 1518 1800kv motors on 5s lipo- the 1518 motors were insanely popular a while back but never caught on really as they weren't sold with part of a kit, just on their own ( only old-hands at the r/c game tend to realize the potential in some setups ). It's a great setup as higher voltage + lower kv = same speed but great efficiency and longer runtime from the same capacity batteries.

Doesn't help my bad driving but there you go, lol- castle make great r/c stuff and their after sales service is excellent.