RC Enthusiast

Motor/Tire Revamp Question, Spur gear/Clutch bell combo?

Hey guys, so I was having range issues, and decided to take apart my digital controller and check it out, the antennas clip was dangling off the board it attaches to, hooked it up properly, straightened out the antenna and wallah I can drive forever... However on my way back from a 1/4 mile drive out.. I stripped the spur gear pretty good but not completely.

My question is Ive got a JL Red Dot .26Maxx on order as well as 7.1in. Goliath tires on tremor rims. Since Ive got more power, and bigger/heavier tires, what would you advise I do for a clutch bell/spur gear combo? Should I go for more torque? I may not need it with the added power. Do I have to buy them as a set or can i just match up what I like?

RC Champion
    You can buy what ever you want to use there are 3 spur gears and the CB goes from 11t to around 19t to chose from.
    Cads, Insane RC, PWC,and BOAT CORNUCOPIA

RC Enthusiast
    Is that just from Traxxas? I was lookin towards Robinson Racing.

And Id like to maintain the top speed but Im more looking for the climbing power with the bigger tires so I guess Im looking for more torque.
    Last edited by AKRevoLution; 07-18-2011 at 09:31 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Ohh and I have the aluminum shoes from traxxas on the slipper, should I try the single carbon shoe from robinson, does anyone have it? any advise would be great. I dont want to gear tooo low, as Ill have plenty of power and dont need to drive around at 30k rpm.

And is stock gearing 14/38? Im probably looking towards either stock but steel gears or 14/40 or maybe a little lower like 13/40 or 14/42...

Edit: And should I maybe consider a wide or close ratio transmission setup? I know im getting into a more advanced area, but Im loving the mods..
    Last edited by AKRevoLution; 07-18-2011 at 10:34 PM.

RC Champion
    Try a 16t or 17t with CB with a 40t spur no real need to go to steel spur gear. The aluminum pads should do fine for now.

RC Champion
    With the JL red dot .26Max high torque and low end you won’t need to gear low, on the contrary high. 15T, 16T or even 17T clutch bells will be good with a 38T or 40T spur.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

RC Champion
    15/40 or stock should be fine. You don't wanna stray too far from stock, those tires are about 3/4" taller and much heavier.
    Stock 14/38 is a 2.71:1 ratio, 15/38 is a 2.53:1 and 2.18:1 ratio. That's a huge jump in just 2 bell teeth. I don't think you'll have enough adjustment with a 14/40 but maybe.
    A 15/40 would be 2.66:1 which is a faster (higher) ratio than stock and with the taller tires would be a good setup for speed and wheelies.
    I certainly would not over estimate the power of a picco .26, it's pretty powerful but not crazy insane like.
    erbe emaxx 26maxx s27revo 18tmrevo XXL platinum

RC Enthusiast
    Ordered a 16/40 set from Robinson racing (2.5:1), Ill let you guys know how it works out, If i dont like it ill use the stock 14 tooth clutch bell, or get a a 15t from robinson if that doesnt mesh well.

Motors here, just waiting on tires and now the spur gear

RC Champion
    That's a decent choice, it will be considerably faster if the picco can get it there....watch your temps.
    I meant to say last time that the metal spur gears are a complete waste of money....but if that's what you ordered then so be it. The stock spur can hold alot more than a picco .26, or even a hot big block for that matter.

RC Champion
    The stock spur gear can stand up to 1/8th brushless power of a MMM.

RC Champion
    Agree with lube the metal spur gear is a waste of money, when something is going wrong the weakest point is the plastic spur, having a metal one the weakest link will be the tranny gears. 16/40 will be more than enough for the .26 Picco Max. My 21TM lift the super heavies 40 series Trenchers with oversized Axials easily with 15/38 and the 18TZ do the same with 15/40.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I hadnt thought of the transmission now being the weakest part, meh.. Ill just replace them with steel too when it comes time. I have ths steel center drives and cvd axels so I guess its just the next step..

RC Champion
    Nothing wrong with metal tranny gears....although i prefer to change the plastic ones every couple gallons.