RC Enthusiast

New wheel help pls

I've been trying to see about getting a dedicated set of wheels that I can swap tires in and out of and have a backup set as well if needed. I'm tired of shredding tires but having to throw a perfectly good set of wheels out with shredded tires.

I found a company called SPI Racing that seems to make custom aluminum wheels. Problem is, their site is perpetually hacked and the only other place I've found them doesn't anwser emails. I really don't care if the wheels are aluminum or not but I can't stand chrome and like black better (I painted the current chromes I have with black lol.)

Does anyone know a good place to get wheels from. I've read on here that proline has the best tires and I'll likely go with them. I also haven't done the 17mm upgrade I keep seeing others talk about. I have the stock hub size atm for the 2.5 body.

You will probably find a better selection of wheels in the 17mm hex size.

Are you talking about something like bead locks, or just having multiple wheel/tire combo's?
    Either you are the Predator or you are the prey

Search You Tube for video's on how to remove tires from your rims, throwing away the rims just cause the tires are shot is stupid.

Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    The ROAR offroad nats. were at my local track in 2010. I was astounded at the number of wheels chunked into the trash. They cut the tires around the center of the tire tread, removed the foams, and heaved the rest. So, being frugal like I am, I grabbed two sets of wheels. I've tried boiling to remove the tires and my success has been less than spectacular. The first attempt was boiling for 15 min. and I don't think it made any difference. I was able to tear the tires off the rim, but the glue held like mad. Basically I tore the tires from the bead, which remained attached to the wheel. The second attempt was boiling for 30 min. with slightly more success. The only thing I can figure is that water boils at a lower temperature at altitude, but it's only 12* difference. I guess I'll try the acetone to remove the rest.

RC Enthusiast
    @tphill:
    I was looking to get two sets of wheels so that I can have a more onroad tread pattern and a set that has a good dirt (not sand) set. I want to keep the wheels and be able to just change out a tire if its gone bad and keep the wheel.

@wildman:
    I assumed that since the tires and wheels that I have now came pre assembled they could be stripped of just the tire. I honestly didn't think to just take the tire off and try replacing just the tire. What I have now is starting to break loose on the sidewall so I'll have to give that shot when they go.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrocameo View Post
    The ROAR offroad nats. were at my local track in 2010. I was astounded at the number of wheels chunked into the trash. They cut the tires around the center of the tire tread, removed the foams, and heaved the rest. So, being frugal like I am, I grabbed two sets of wheels. I've tried boiling to remove the tires and my success has been less than spectacular. The first attempt was boiling for 15 min. and I don't think it made any difference. I was able to tear the tires off the rim, but the glue held like mad. Basically I tore the tires from the bead, which remained attached to the wheel. The second attempt was boiling for 30 min. with slightly more success. The only thing I can figure is that water boils at a lower temperature at altitude, but it's only 12* difference. I guess I'll try the acetone to remove the rest.
    Ida done the same thing! No shame in dumpster-diving if there is treasure to be found The whole glue thing really turns me off. I guess I will end up going to beadlocks. I hear they are not as easy as some say but gotta be better than the glue.
    "fat drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life"