My outrunner arrived, and the install was pretty straight forward. I needed 6.5 mm bullets, and the LHS had them!
Had some trouble at first with the pinion staying on. I dremeled the shaft a bit more and now its seated.
This is a crazy looking motor.
I absolutely love how it drives. The motor has a lot less braking, and almost a flywheel feel to it. The truck will coast very smoothly to a stop.
I changed the gearing when I installed the motor. The bearing on the spur felt gritty, I put in a new one and took a loot at the clutch.
Wow... I do like how my slipper has been set, but that looks really worn. Theres still plenty of thickness in the pads. I put it back in, but I could use a new set of pads.
Seat of the pants, top speed felt about 30, rc calc says I'm geared ~27 mph.
But the ability to crawl now is great, I can push and climb smoothly at low speeds.
I'm getting some weird vibration like cogging now. More testing is needed, last night on an easy walk through the neighborhood, it started cogging.
It'd still pull from a stop well, but mid speed it would buzz out. Hopefully I can get the reliability sorted out.
Later this morning:
Went for a run in the backyard, and at first it was perfect. Then a couple zips into the throttle and the terrible vibration came back.
I took the motor apart, and the magnets in the can have shifted forward and are rubbing the pink stationary ring of aluminum.
Now I'm thinking of gluing it all somehow.