RC poster

Smile BOSS MUSTANG UPGRADES GALORE - suspension, 31mm wheel/tires ect w/ PICS

FOR ALL OF YOU LOOKING FOR UPGRADES FOR YOUR MUSTANG

Long awaited explanation and pics of the build!

this car clocked at 69 MPH!!!

here you go....

This is what I have done to my car so far....

first and foremost, I have found some wheels/tires (WIDER) and do fit under the body!!! only two wheel options, but I can look past the wheels for the extra rubber!!

the car comes stock with 1.9x26mm wheels... after LONG AND HARD shopping for some wheels/tires.... I found some! 1.9x31mm !! that is 20mm more of rubber which is approx 8/10 of an inch more of rubber!! and still work with the factory 12mm hex! cannot go wrong... although, I did have to raise the body mounts up one knotch for front and back, and trim the slightest amount off the body in the fenders for wheel turn... and it was so minor amount you wouldnt be able to tell... if you dont want to trim... you can put 31mm in back and stock 26mm size wheels upfront... only reason for trimming the front was to clear turning radius... I have the correct offset for the wheels as well... read below to see what upgrades I have done....

Also, put a dual servo in as well... after these pics were taken.... (very last pic in next post represents dual servo)

PARTS INSTALLED:

got2gorc:
    speed passion 5200KV motor
    speed passion 190A ESC (with heatsink and fan)
    2 x 2cell Lipo 2450 mah 50-90c (run in parallel ONLY)
    2 x 3cell Lipo 1800 mah 45-55c (run in parallel ONLY)

HOT RACING:
    front and rear rocker arms
    steering knuckles
    steering bell crank
    servo guards

The Toyz:
    Aluminum Steering Arm Post
    VXL Brushless Motor Heatsink w/ Cooling Fan (works on the speed passion motor as well)
    Steel Heavy Duty Center Drive Shaft

Team Integy:
    Titanium & Blue Rear Skid Plate

Traxxas upgraded parts:
    GTR Hard Anodized Shocks (factory springs)
    steel hollow balls
    steel driveshafts constang velocity
    aluminum wheel hub hex's
    aluminum push rods
    aluminum toe links
    31 tooth pinion gear

GPM:
    Aluminum Front and Rear Shock Damper Tower

Spektrum DX3S controller
    FLYSKY FS-GT3B controller

most of this stuff is for a summit....fyi....

but as far as suspension goes... HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!! did the upgrades make a difference!!!!
    not only did I upgrade motor, and ESC, to a 5200kv and ESC (both speed passion) run with 2x2's or 2x3's in parallel

but the upgrades on the suspension are HUGE AND A MUST!!!
    most slash/e-revo and summit stuff will work.. but be careful with front skid plates and a-arms e-revo has longer a-arms, and the mustang is sort of unique with the front skid plate...

but you can get upgrades from lots of places that are posted above... but nothing (as of now) are listed for the mustang... all listed for e-revo, summit, rally...

Hope this helped... please let me know if you guys want some info or not on any of this...

also, please let me know if this thread is helpful! feedback would be appreciated, to know if I wasted my time with this thread....lol

pics below....

31MM wide tires VS 26MM tires

Tires mounted and show the clearances and width...

Parts ready for installation

prior to installation...

MORE PICS IN NEXT POST - ONLY ALLOWED TO POST 10 pics in a thread... see below for the rest...

inprocess of installation of parts

completed

compaired to stock

as it sits now...

hope you all liked the thread...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-13-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: post merge

RC Qualifier
    WOW, thats alot. Looks great, really like the look of those wheels. cant wait to see a run vid!
    STRC Slash 4x4
    Hobby Hut Raceway, Audubon Pa.

RC poster
    I will get one... the wheels I have on in are not glued right now... I am glueing them tonite, so they will be ready for run tomorrow...

RC Champion
    Why did u go with such a wide tire? clearance/rubbing issues? Are they the HPI classics? Do they come in pairs of 2? Could you PM me a link for them? Thanks in advance.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Can we get a part number on those treads/rims?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    How much does it weigh compared to a stock one?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Why did u go with such a wide tire? clearance/rubbing issues? Are they the HPI classics? Do they come in pairs of 2? Could you PM me a link for them? Thanks in advance.

yup, wide tires to hook... NO DRIFTING FOR ME!!, hard to get the car not to lose traction at above 50mph... its a disaster when it spins out above 50mph, as you could imagine....

Quote Originally Posted by RobF353 View Post
    How much does it weigh compared to a stock one?

honestly I never took that into consideration... I was mainly concerned with better traction... but it could not be more than a few oz's the stock drift tires are fairly heavy being a solid compound...

PM's sent...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-20-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Champion
    I think he meant the whole car with all the aluminum VS stock weight. And thanks for the PM
    Everything overpowered...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    I think he meant the whole car with all the aluminum VS stock weight. And thanks for the PM
    Duh... Polly right on that... lol... the aluminum parts weigh a bit more than that of plastic parts... but we are going for those items to be rigid... so all in all, the car is gonna weigh more... same reason I went with steel center driveshaft... weight in center of car... on a side note, that is the reason i kept stock a-arms.. slight flex if anything to occur... I am just a parking lot basher... no digital scales that read that low...

QYKSLVR - welcome on pm... hope it works out for ya...

Didn't even realize I missed some parts in the part listing... in first post... and I cannot edit it... I noticed 4 things right off hand...probably missed more...

The toys:
    Front aluminum diff upgrade
    Rear aluminum diff upgrade
    Front and rear swaybar

Hot racing:
    Aluminum transmission housing upgrade
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-20-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Enthusiast
    just a few questions. can you pm me the part number for those shocks. and how do you like the aluminum push rods an toe links
    Fiesta brushed.

digital scales read that low.... kitchen scales can do ounces and grams

He may have been thinking bathroom scales...

Nice job!! looks great! Great choice on upgrades.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTMRFR View Post
    FOR ALL OF YOU LOOKING FOR UPGRADES FOR YOUR MUSTANG

Long awaited explanation and pics of the build!

this car clocked at 69 MPH!!!

here you go....

This is what I have done to my car so far....

first and foremost, I have found some wheels/tires (WIDER) and do fit under the body!!! only two wheel options, but I can look past the wheels for the extra rubber!!

the car comes stock with 1.9x26mm wheels... after LONG AND HARD shopping for some wheels/tires.... I found some! 1.9x31mm !! that is 20mm more of rubber which is approx 8/10 of an inch more of rubber!! and still work with the factory 12mm hex! cannot go wrong... although, I did have to raise the body mounts up one knotch for front and back, and trim the slightest amount off the body in the fenders for wheel turn... and it was so minor amount you wouldnt be able to tell... if you dont want to trim... you can put 31mm in back and stock 26mm size wheels upfront... only reason for trimming the front was to clear turning radius... I have the correct offset for the wheels as well... read below to see what upgrades I have done....

Also, put a dual servo in as well... after these pics were taken.... (very last pic in next post represents dual servo)

PARTS INSTALLED:

got2gorc:
    speed passion 5200KV motor
    speed passion 190A ESC (with heatsink and fan)
    2 x 2cell Lipo 2450 mah 50-90c (run in parallel ONLY)
    2 x 3cell Lipo 1800 mah 45-55c (run in parallel ONLY)

HOT RACING:
    front and rear rocker arms
    steering knuckles
    steering bell crank
    servo guards

The Toyz:
    Aluminum Steering Arm Post
    VXL Brushless Motor Heatsink w/ Cooling Fan (works on the speed passion motor as well)
    Steel Heavy Duty Center Drive Shaft

Team Integy:
    Titanium & Blue Rear Skid Plate

Traxxas upgraded parts:
    GTR Hard Anodized Shocks (factory springs)
    steel hollow balls
    steel driveshafts constang velocity
    aluminum wheel hub hex's
    aluminum push rods
    aluminum toe links
    31 tooth pinion gear

GPM:
    Aluminum Front and Rear Shock Damper Tower

Spektrum DX3S controller
    FLYSKY FS-GT3B controller

most of this stuff is for a summit....fyi....

but as far as suspension goes... HOLY WOW!!!!!!!!! did the upgrades make a difference!!!!
    not only did I upgrade motor, and ESC, to a 5200kv and ESC (both speed passion) run with 2x2's or 2x3's in parallel

but the upgrades on the suspension are HUGE AND A MUST!!!
    most slash/e-revo and summit stuff will work.. but be careful with front skid plates and a-arms e-revo has longer a-arms, and the mustang is sort of unique with the front skid plate...

but you can get upgrades from lots of places that are posted above... but nothing (as of now) are listed for the mustang... all listed for e-revo, summit, rally...

Hope this helped... please let me know if you guys want some info or not on any of this...

also, please let me know if this thread is helpful! feedback would be appreciated, to know if I wasted my time with this thread....lol

hope you all liked the thread...

liking the car a whole lot. do you have any vids if so what site? i had a question being that its from a summit you say most parts i was gonna ask on rear suspension whats the difference between summits 7132R and the 302s 7032? just wondering if its even worth the time like you say to give it some way to break well im getting alot of the stuff your getting bc my gf wrecked my car into the curb really hard and cracked the front suspension arm i was wondering if the aluminum is worth it im not trying power im trying more stability and whats the linkk to those tires? really nice car btw

RC Qualifier
    That Mustang looks amazing lots of time and money into that thing but it's well worth it.

RC Competitor
    looks sick. i just pick mine up last wed. wish they had an orange one avail. cant wait to learn more so i can start upgrading mine. sweet boss man.

RC Enthusiast
    Give it up already... where did you get the wheels/tires from so I can order them already!!!

Thanks, Jason

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by snakenv View Post
    Give it up already... where did you get the wheels/tires from so I can order them already!!!

Thanks, Jason
    I dont know that if he will ever reply i found some though for about 30$ wheels and tires want a link pm me

RC poster
    sorry yall about the LONG time before I appeared again on here... I am in afghanistan, and dont get internet that often...active military is rough on you some times...lol...

anyhow.... if you have any questions about this thing just shoot me an email... fstmrfr@gmail.com ....

RC Champion
    31mm - 26mm = 20 mm extra tread? Howdya work that out? I get 5 mm extra tread...

RC Racer
    5 mm of extra tread per tire. 5mm x 4 tires= 20 mm extra.

3814 HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheel 31mm
    4797 HPI Racing Vintage Racing Tire 31mm

And for those that want smaller tires on the front:
    3809 HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spk Wheel 26mm
    4793 HPI Racing Vintage Racing Tire 26mm

They make the 5 spoke too.
    I just listed the 8 spoke above because those are the part numbers I have in my tire wish list. lol

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by slash116vxl View Post
    31mm - 26mm = 20 mm extra tread? Howdya work that out? I get 5 mm extra tread...
    I done exactly know what you you are asking, but there are 25.4 mm in an inch, so 5mm per tire makes approx 8/10" more rubber under the car....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    3814 HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spoke Wheel 31mm
    4797 HPI Racing Vintage Racing Tire 31mm

And for those that want smaller tires on the front:
    3809 HPI Racing Vintage 8-Spk Wheel 26mm
    4793 HPI Racing Vintage Racing Tire 26mm

They make the 5 spoke too.
    I just listed the 8 spoke above because those are the part numbers I have in my tire wish list. lol
    yup that is correct... fit like a dream...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-14-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Does it have swaybars? If so from who Or how lol Looks pretty cool.

RC poster
    i think traxxas should make a 1/10 boss 302

and i no my name isnt spelt right

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mad316 View Post
    Does it have swaybars? If so from who Or how lol Looks pretty cool.
    yes it has sway bars, TheToys, is where I got the sway bars... comes with 3 different spring rates...fyi

Quote Originally Posted by BATTLEFILDE 3 View Post
    i think traxxas should make a 1/10 boss 302

and i no my name isnt spelt right
    yup, more options out there for 1/10th scale stuff.. but you can pretty much use all the 1/10th stuff on the 1/16th scale cars... just have to be a bit more patient when shopping... and know what you are looking for, and do your homework prior to the build...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-27-2011 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Post merge.

RC poster
    Hi
    Can you please PM where i can get my hands on a set of those wheels/tyres.
    I'm having alot of trouble driving my stock one straight as it is, I'm hoping more traction will give me more control.
    My friends have 1/16 and the control over car is easy. Mine spins as soon as i add power to it.
    please help, any advice would be great

RC poster
    wider wheels, and non drift tires, if you are running on street or asphault, and lowering the suspenstion... you can get them really at any online, or local shop... you can even get them on ebay....lol...
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-03-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Language

RC Competitor
    Do you have 2 servos ? Whats the advantage of that?

RC Qualifier
    Here's mine hitting 53mph

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_sms View Post
    Do you have 2 servos ? Whats the advantage of that?
    mainly for low speeds with larger tires against the plastic gears, not to mention the added weight to the car because of the upgrades of aluminum vs plastic...makes the gears not last as long... but I had a spare and the parts to adapt make them both functional... so I did it, not a neccessary upgrade....
    Last edited by FSTMRFR; 04-09-2012 at 04:27 AM.

RC Competitor
    Are you guys running a center diff? i am looking to improve my Mustang for racing what are musts? currently box stock.