RC Enthusiast

Exclamation want to change the gearing on my 1/16 Summit, want more top speed, help!!!

Does anyone know what the stock spur gear is on the 1/16 Summit VXL? I ask because I want to change the gearing to get more top speed out of mine, I'm also in the market for some good street tires, and different wheels. So I want to try to get the top speed as high as I can without loosing too much acceleration, I still want the off the line power, but I could stand to loose a little of that to get it to go faster. I don't know if i need to change the other gear as well, can't think of the name of it off the top of my head right now, but I know the spur gear the one that is on the motor, and the other is the main trans gear. I run a 3s 1500mah lipo, mostly on road, as well as ***** 2c 2200mah when the 3s needs to be charged. So if anyone has dealt with this before any help would be appreciated

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I guess the stock is 50, I was running 45/19 with the stock tires and I liked, if you get small tires you can gear it up 50/23 with the stock motor and esc. The best tires are proline dirt hawgs with any 2.2 wheels even with the stock summit wheels.

RC Enthusiast
    cool, what kind of top speed do you think you got out of it? how much more than the factory set up anyway

RC Enthusiast
    and i had the gears backwards, spur gear is the trany and pinion gear is on the motor,

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepants View Post
    cool, what kind of top speed do you think you got out of it? how much more than the factory set up anyway
    I clocked mine at 50mph 50/23 with a 3s, but it gets hot fast.
    Last edited by RC-Fan; 07-13-2011 at 06:48 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    i just ordered a 19t, it was cheap, and i saw a fan for the stock ESC for like 15 bucks on there, may help with the heat issue. I saw a video on youtube of a guy that got his over 60 i think, but he had a better ESC and i think the 550 motor? or one of the few you can fit on the mini summit without much hassle, that titan 500 or whatever its called is pretty cheap on ebay too, but i forgot to read on to see if it was brushless, thats key of course, and i looked at some tires, the dirt hawgs are cool, but i think that the speed hawg? not sure about the name, are a little bit wider, and also i found a wide kit, that adds 3/4 of a inch to each side of the truck, help out on handling a lot, it was all aluminum too

RC Enthusiast
    and i went ahead and got the 45t too, ill mix and match with the stock on both gears to see what i can get, but you were right, the 45 is best for top end, so im going to try it first, and then put the 19t on instead of the stock, which i think is 16t, it might be 18t, but i think i've read about it and i wanna say that it was 16t. gonna have to wait about the tires though. I found a cool 1980 chevy blazer body, but its for 1/10 scale, there aren't a lot of choices for the minis as far as bodies go, need to find something different

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have castle 1/10 motor and esc and it is crazy fast, and runs cool all the time, you probably saw a 540 size motor and it should be brushless, dirt hawgs are nice, speed hawgs are more sweet for speed runs and much wider, as fas as bodies proline bug body for 1/16, proline slipstreem, and exotek hummer body are the ones specially made for 1/16, the stock pinion on the summit is 16.

RC Enthusiast
    yeah, i almost bid on that motor and esc set up, but it got out of my range at that time anyway, but from what ive read if i upgrade thats what ill do, but i think im gonna save up for the 1/10 or 1/8 summit, i didn't know till i got mine that it didnt have those extra features like the bigger ones, like the high/low trans thing, and a few other things, plus the mini is so fast and light you cant really do any crawling with it, i mean you can a little, but it seems like the bigger on on low would be more fun for that type thing, i just want to use this one for speed, but if i can get a decent deal on that castle set up ill do it, it seems like the best thing for speed, and its not too expensive, just don't have the funds, and i'm just now working out all the little kinks, merv axles, got a back up trans, stuff like that, the usual stuff that breaks, most people are afraid to run a 2c lipo on them because of breakage, but i wanna have fun with it, so i put the 3s on there and it will ball pretty good, i bet when i put that 45 on it i will be even more impressed, thanks for all your help, and anything you wanna put up on here is cool with me, if you test some parts, or just wanna let me know some stuff i'm down, i'm new to the electrics, had a 1/10 buggy nitro, and 1/10 nitro truck too, both cheap, wore out quick, so i got this, brushless is the way to go for sure,i kind of wanna get one of those fast little cars too, some of them claim like 70+ and you can get a lot of sweet bodies for those too, make it your own ya know. later -pants

RC Enthusiast
    so what is your set up now, battery? moter, ESC? tires all that

RC Enthusiast
    got the adjustable aluminum suspension arms from the toys, not bad, around 24 bucks, they are cool, still working on getting it to go straight, having problems since i replaced all for axle carriers, new but factory, made my front steering go off, still tuning all that in, then it should be good, oh, and the wheelie bar does well, if you set up the shocks and slipper clutch right, so it has enough to ride a wheelie but not so much it will flip all the time. anyways, anything new with anyone else, new parts? pics? let me know please, later yo

RC Enthusiast
    i was wondering, could i use the sidewinder ESC with a stock mini summit, or the SV2, not sure, but if one has the USB tuning capabilities thats the one that i want. but i want to be sure that it will work with the stock 380 but most importantly, anything i should know about putting a sidewinder on the factory motor? with a fan of course, and a heatsink for the engine too, if all will fit, but is the factory 380 tuneable with that ESC? any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance, josh ( just waiting to get the new sidewinder with the castle creations 3800kV, forgot the name of it, but its on there site, they have several options, but this one seemed best for handling and power as well, and of course the USB tune-ablility