RC Qualifier

mega heatsink/fan

heres my ******* heatsink/fan that i modified to fit the stampede 4wd. its also marketed as ezrun. both the ******* and ezrun can be found on ebay there the 36x55mm ones. some from hong kong and some are shipped from the us but cost a few bucks more.

did some testing of temps, useing my 9.9v lifepo and the stock 11 tooth pinion gear to make some more heat and more interesting (uselly run 9 tooth) and did an oval track in the front yard at mostly full throttle 1/3 on grass. ran stock 180 but then stopped after i relized it was that hot
    stock 180
    integy heatsink 160
    ******* (this one im writing about) 140 degrees WINNER

the fan blows down i tried to turn it upside down but i went off a jump the fan hit the mounting peice and broke a few fins might try it with some spacers to see if its better.

WEAR YOUR SAFTY GLASSES i got a peice of aluminum stuck in my eye for 3 days
    stock it will not fit but with a little dremeling it does.
    cut 2.5mm of both sides (5mm total)
    cut 11mm or 3 fins off the bottom
    cut off the 7th and 8th (not including the 3 fins cut off) to acces the motor screw
    cut out a little rectangle 17mm (6 fins) up and 13mm in to make room for the more wires

other mods
    raptor body painted blue and black (looks real nice will post pics later)
    king heads motor mount
    rpm arms
    teknos in rear with aluminum hex

RC Champion
    that motor fan is a monster no wonder it's running cool
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Lol I did this exact installation a few days ago. What did you do about the screws coming out the side of the motor can? I had to dremel little slots for them to slide in to.

RC Enthusiast
    Thats wicked.....where do I find that setup?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-13-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Edited for language abuse. Please be more mindful of the words you choose on the forums...youngsters visit these forums.

RC Qualifier
    @zball i shorted the whole heatsink so i could keep the black cover over the screws your talking about

@sdzdesigns you can get them on ebay, search ******* or ezrun fan its the 36x55mm one. it will not fit without modifacation as i showed

RC Champion
    I can also confirm it works AWESOME. I had a Kershaw 9L running on a MMP in my Slash 4x4. It ran hotter than a popcorn fart, like 180+ in about 10-12 minutes on 3S geared for 45mph (about stock for the Veleneon).. After the Heatsink/Fan combo it was down near 150 after a whole pack (+-20 minutes).

You can really hear this fan running. Voooommmmmmm LOL
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    where did you get this?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rckid97 View Post
    where did you get this?
    I bought mine from my local hobby shop, but I think He orders from that cheap place over seas (its a Bad word on this forum so I can say the name ) .
    Just Google search ******* Fan and you'll find lots.

I just tried the Google search and its the first one to come up.. $4.79 too.. so its cheap.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

I am running the Castle 2400 motor. I shouldn't have to do any mods to make it fit? The length of the motor can is why you cut it down, correct?
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Qualifier
    I got it of eBay search "ezrun heat sink" or "turnagy heat sink" and sort by distance to find one in the us. There a bit more but you won't have to wait a month
    It's the 36mm x 55mm.
    I don't have a castle motor to try it on but I'd bet you would have to cut it so it doesn't wrap around the motor as far and for the gear mesh screw.

RC Qualifier
    wait you took 4 off the bottom? not 3 as far as i can tell

RC Qualifier
    Edmonton, AB (and looking for an RC buddy. PM me if you're from NE Edmonton!)
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    It ran hotter than a popcorn fart
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob
    I am running the Castle 2400 motor. I shouldn't have to do any mods to make it fit? The length of the motor can is why you cut it down, correct?
    I'm pretty sure it will fit. The castle motor is the same diameter as a VXL? Because I have this ******* fan and it fits on my 9XL motor with a lot of extra room (75mm long vs Castle2400 at 69.5mm)
    Sig edited for awesomeness. NC

RC Qualifier
    wait so take 3 or 4 fins off?! need help

RC Qualifier
    please! anyone!

RC Qualifier
    It appears from the first pic that I cut off 4 instead of the 3 that I said earlier. I later cut off 2 more (6 total) fins off so I use a 9 tooth pinion gear. So now on the right side of the first pic, there is 4 fins then 2 shaved down and 4 more fins.
    If you want to take some pics of the heat sink straight on from all sides, I will mark where to cut

RC Qualifier
    I can't see the pics. Says "This content is currently unavailable"
    Maybe try photo bucket

RC Qualifier
    ill try i dont have an account ill make one

RC Qualifier
    http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg609/Jslagill/
    alright that should work i hope!

RC Qualifier
    all lines should be straight

RC Qualifier
    thank you so much for your time bro! helped alot

RC Enthusiast
    is this a heatsink/fan combo you can find? or is the fan and heat sink two different products you have to find?

also, this will sound noob, but whats with the ***? cant name the brand im guessing?

RC Qualifier
    it is one product. search ebay for "36x55 heatsink fan"

I didn't do the * it must have gotten edited.
    it was a brand of a Chinese rc company that mainly makes cheap-o batteries

RC Qualifier
    I scored one of these on ebay yesterday for < $20 w/shipping. Will modify for the summer. I've got twin integys on there now which will be a good backup, but one big fan seems like it will flow even more air. Thanks for the tip!
    I'm surprised Traxxas doesn't offer one of these heatsink/fan combos for the motor. I like their ESC fan and it does a good job.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I'm surprised Traxxas doesn't offer one of these heatsink/fan combos for the motor. I like their ESC fan and it does a good job.
    Also surprised that Traxxas did not release any heatsink/fan combo for the motor. Will be getting the ESC fan pretty soon before summer starts. Maybe they'll release one in the summer, just like their Steel Constant Velocity Shafts, which came out just last year after MIP CVD's and Tekno's have been out for a while.

OP,
    Very nice mod man!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineG14 View Post
    is this a heatsink/fan combo you can find? or is the fan and heat sink two different products you have to find?

also, this will sound noob, but whats with the ***? cant name the brand im guessing?
    Here you go: $12.50 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150993835057...84.m1555.l2649

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    I can also confirm it works AWESOME. I had a Kershaw 9L running on a MMP in my Slash 4x4. It ran hotter than a popcorn fart, like 180+ in about 10-12 minutes on 3S geared for 45mph (about stock for the Veleneon).. After the Heatsink/Fan combo it was down near 150 after a whole pack (+-20 minutes).
    You can really hear this fan running. Voooommmmmmm LOL
    I put this combo on along with the traxxas esc fan. I run 3S Lipo for twenty straight minutes tearing it up with 13/54 gears and motor temp has now been running 115! With no fans, they were burning up, and with dual integy fans I was running about 150. The is the "hot setup" !!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ROB311952 View Post
    I put this combo on along with the traxxas esc fan. I run 3S Lipo for twenty straight minutes tearing it up with 13/54 gears and motor temp has now been running 115! With no fans, they were burning up, and with dual integy fans I was running about 150. The is the "hot setup" !!
    Are you getting the temp from the actual can or the heatsink itself?
    / 16

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ross93 View Post
    all lines should be straight

Hi might just be my noobishness but just wondering why is it so different between 9 and 11 tooth pinion? And would it be different again if I run lets say 25 tooth

RC Qualifier
    I think it probably relates to temp variants. I'd just leave it be. Cooler the better. As you say it cannot have any bearing physically on the pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Can't wait to do this mod as well!

Still no dremel...

Currently looking for a cheap used one on ebay and craiglist.
    Last edited by stampede_fanatic; 02-21-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Post did not go through... Bad connection

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pa2pla View Post
    Hi might just be my noobishness but just wondering why is it so different between 9 and 11 tooth pinion? And would it be different again if I run lets say 25 tooth
    We all know that the higher the pinion tooth, the higher the motor will sit on the chassis. A 25-tooth pinion will make the motor sit higher compared to an 11-tooth, an 11-tooth will make the motor seat higher compared to a 9-tooth, etc.

With that said, there will be more heatsink that's required to wrap around the motor for a 25-tooth pinion compared to the 11-tooth since (Like I said above) the motor will be sitting higher on the chassis. Anyways, if you plan on gearing down from a 25-tooth to a 9-tooth pinion (Really gearing down here by a lot), the heatsink will not snap on the motor since it will be hitting the bottom of the chassis. You will have no choice but to cut more fins (Orange line) to really maximize the amount of heatsink wrapping around the motor and more importantly to make it snap in place.

RC Qualifier
    Ahhhhhhhhh...penny drops....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by stampede_fanatic View Post
    We all know that the higher the pinion tooth, the higher the motor will sit on the chassis. A 25-tooth pinion will make the motor sit higher compared to an 11-tooth, an 11-tooth will make the motor seat higher compared to a 9-tooth, etc.

With that said, there will be more heatsink that's required to wrap around the motor for a 25-tooth pinion compared to the 11-tooth since (Like I said above) the motor will be sitting higher on the chassis. Anyways, if you plan on gearing down from a 25-tooth to a 9-tooth pinion (Really gearing down here by a lot), the heatsink will not snap on the motor since it will be hitting the bottom of the chassis. You will have no choice but to cut more fins (Orange line) to really maximize the amount of heatsink wrapping around the motor and more importantly to make it snap in place.

Knew there had to be a reason and I have recently got my stampede so I am still running 11 and haven't compared the sizing. And the jump from 9 to 25 was a big example

This fourm is very helpfull thank you for explanation

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmbtr View Post
    Are you getting the temp from the actual can or the heatsink itself?
    I hold the gun right next to the inboard side of the heat sink, as soon as I stop running it. It's the only accessible point.