RC Competitor

Vxl motor-please help!!!- please read

ok i have my mini summit vxl ran fine a day ago and now the motor wont turn over the drive shaft that comes out of the motor just turns back and forth and wont move the car, it took it off the mount and took off the gear, still nothing. i tried the esc and it still works i reprogramed it and it still turns the servo so its fine, i just really want to know if theres a way to fix the motor without having to drop so $$$ on a new one. so if you know the problem please help me thanks

RC Champion
    are you running stock setup nothing changed?
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    1) any blinking lights - many times the throttle trim gets out of whack (servo work but motor wont turn) goto the trouble section of the manual to fix it
    2) motor jerks but servos still work? possible bad esc. These esc are notorious for going bad under stress. Did the car thermal/overheat?, Running dual batts for long runs without changing the gears? running 3s lipo without changing gears? these can kill the esc

My guess is that is is the esc. Even when they go bad they can still send pulses of power to the motor and make it jerk (usually no reverse)

The motor is actually pretty durable, so I doubt that it has gone bad
    (unless you were really burning it up - but even then the esc would die before the motor)

bad esc - but check the trouble codes (blinks) first
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    try unplugging the servo, my servo was acting "normal" ,but had a bad cogging when pulling the throtle and turning, was driving my crazy, tried everything untill installed another servo and it runs great now.

RC Competitor
    yea stock setup nothing changed, just 2 batterys but i dont use the truck that often

RC Competitor
    no blinking lights its solid red, i tried to reset it and it didnt work the motor still turns forward and backward but not enough to make the car move. yes the servo still works fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    did you tried unplugging the servo?

RC Racer
    Give Traxxas a call. They are there to help. Worst case scenerio is you take advantage of their limited-lifetime warranty program and only pay $25 for a replacement plus $5 S&H.

http://traxxas.com/pdfs/KC0431_Elect...rranty_ESP.pdf

RC Champion
    it's an esc/motor or servo problem unlpug servo still same? If so it's esc or motor try spinning motor shaft when out of truck if it feels abnormal or twitchy and if it smells burnt replace motor if it's none of those things it's the esc
    hope this helps and try and avoid running 2 batts in series it will kill the esc
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Am I reading this right, the output shaft on the motor does not spin? If it doesn't spin its definately electronic related, if it does spin check the drivetrain.

RC Champion
    take out the motor - its only one big screw - if it turns by hand than the motor should be good. - The vxl esc failure is noted all over the forums, no one hardly mentions a motor failure. If theres no blinking of the rx, tx, nor esc (no trouble code faults) then its a bad esc -

pm me I have an extra VXL esc and motor for sale
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    yeah motor probs are rare it's the esc
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ds0595 View Post
    no blinking lights its solid red, i tried to reset it and it didnt work the motor still turns forward and backward but not enough to make the car move. yes the servo still works fine.
    batts are fully charged right?

I know its a dumb question but NIMH can self discharge overtime and sometimes will have a memory effect that will not allow them a full recharge.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    I know its a dumb question but NIMH can self discharge overtime and sometimes will have a memory effect that will not allow them a full recharge.
    Yeah, that's completely true. I came back from a vacation (about 5 days), and my batteries had already discharged so much that I had to charge them up a few times before they got back to full power!!

A "memory" effect can occur when you don't charge the batteries up to the full time that they are supposed to be charged for. I did this with a different type of battery. Instead of charging it fully, I would charge it for only so many minutes and it worked very well for about 2 cycles, then it died and I cannot get it back to full power to this day.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the help, it was what i thought it was and i had to send in the esc to be repaired thanks again