RC poster

ez start problems

My son purchased a traxxas slayer pro, the ze start motor turns but will not crank the engine over. We have repaced the starter shaft and the one way clutch bearing. Any suggestions?

If the motor turns over but the engine does not, then there is an issue with the gearbox, starter shaft or OWB. How new is the Slayer? Brand new or bought used?
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    The truck was purchased new,pretty much have ruled out starter shaft and OWB,both have been replaced with traxxas parts,just wondering if the ez start motor is going bad.

Pull the gearbox apart but don't worry as nothing will spring out and will be difficult to be put back in. Could be a stripped gear, or the pinion on the motor is not tight. Also, make sure that the lettering on the OWB is facing the engine and the black and red wires are to their correct terminals on the motor.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    All the above that you have mentioned i have checked and double checked everything looks and feels normal. This truck is less than a month old,it hasnt even had a gallon of fuel run through it yet! Is this a common problem with these trucks, has anybody else had the same issues? Very frustrating considering the amount of money my son has spent on this vehicle.

RC Competitor
    i had this trouble, but it was the starter shaft and the roller clutch after a month of head scratching

RC poster
    Ive had this same problem. Ive been searching for months. Sometimes it will work no problem and out of nowhere it just spins and spins

RC Champion
    If it's not working there is a way to fix it. Even if you have to purchase a new starting system. If you really get frustrated with the EZ start, get a pull start. It's not good on your fingers but it will work.
    I own the same truck and am using an old EZ start system that has quite a few gallons on it, I haven't had any problems with it yet. Have you checked the motor's mounting screws? Sometimes those will work their way lose.

Hope you get it figured out, these things can make you want to pull your hair out sometimes haha.
    Matthew 7:7

RC poster
    I would check the gear box of the ez start. The pin that holds the idler gear my have broke, or teeth inside sheered off! Also you might check the gear on the motor it self! Make sure is not just spinning on the shaft.

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like the OWB either has too much oil or not enough.. Both will cause this.. An easy way to get around it is heat up the ez start gearbox with a blow dryer or hold it in front of the heater right before you run it.. After the truck heats up it should start just fine.. It works for me.. Well worked for me..
    custom summit crawler parts lol