RC Competitor

Question Another Lipo Newbie Asking for Advice...

To start things off, yes I did search and I've been reading over the past few months about Lipos and Lipo chargers but I still can't make up my mind. I currently have 3 of the stock Traxxas Power Cell batteries. I can take my Merv VXL to the park with all 3 of those and can barely make it halfway around. I can take my 1/10 scale Stampede with 2 7-cell batteries (4,200mah) and make it all the way around with juice to spare. So naturally, I wanted some batteries for my Merv with a much higher Mah rating. After shopping around, the highest capacity Nimh I can find for the Merv is only 1,600 Mah. So now I'm really considering the jump to Lipo but everything just seems so expensive since I'll have to buy a new charger and I'll need the Lipo batteries. I know generally in this hobby, you get what you pay for but this charger has caught my eye. It's the Venom Easy Balance Lipo Charger. It's not fancy. It can handle 2-4cells and has a built in balancer but it is only 40 watts. However, I can't find any reviews or user feedback on it. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I only plan on using 2s Lipos because I'm fairly happy with my current speed but a little more would be nice. I also notice that SPC and Venom are the most recommended batteries. I'm also assuming that a 2s Lipo should be interchangeable between my 1/10 Stampede VXL and my Merv VXL as long as they can physically fit in both trucks, right? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Stampede VXL
    Stampede XL-5
    1/16 E-Revo VXL

i'll hold judgement on the charger as i have been using the same charger for a couple years (triton2EQ) it serves me well but looking back and around i paid way to much for what i got, so i have some learning to do there as well
    The Merv battery will technically fit in the Stampede but not without some extra retention. A merv 2cell battery is WAY smaller than your standard 1/10 2 or 3cell battery. I wouldn't use the Merv battery in the 1/10 truck but that's just me.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Racer
    I am in the same boat, but think I am gonna plunge for the Thunder AC6 charger. Its only $10 more and people seem to have nothing but good things to say. As far as the lipo's themselves, I don't know if I would interchange them, because I would imagine that that stampede would blow through all the power rather quickly. Other than that, I think the lipos are the way to go, or that's what people make it sound like.

RC Qualifier
    i recommend you save up and get a good charger like the thunder power 610c or an onyx 235
    they are 120-80 bucks but the safety features and options make a huge difference
    like cell voltage display
    off balance alarm
    low voltage recovery
    1-6s is good if you get a multicharge battery adapter harness
    and programmable amperage is good if you get quick charge batteries

and get a good charging bag

lipos are too dangerous to cheap out on
    and a good charger is a one time investment
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-27-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: merge
    if its not broken, bash harder

RC Champion
    littlefoot is right i made the jump straight away to a core rc uac 40 (yes it's a mouthful!) and never regretted it if you buy basic lipo chargers they're just a quick fix if you get something like my charger with an lcd screen you can charge any battery you want at what ever current you want up to around 5 amps which is all you could ever need imo
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I trust the iCharger line.

Excellent factory support, very similar to Traxxas....
    taking care of customers even after the warranty period.
    I have a 206B, available at EPBuddy with free shipping.

It is a 300W powerful battery charger with 20A maximum charge current, discharge and battery cycle modes. Handles 1-6 cell LiPo, Li-Ion, and LiFe (A123), 1-12 cell lead-acid, as well as 1-17 cell NiMH and NiCd batteries. A superior built-in balancer for up to 6 cell LiPo, Li-Ion, or LiFe (A123) batteries. It also has foam cut and motor drive modes. Firmware can be upgraded via USB port, so it is just about "future proof" in that they can configure for new battery chemistries so you wouldn't need a new charger for a new chemistry. Battery charge and discharge data can be recorded and analyzed with free software.

I have made the mistake before of trying to keep things more affordable by getting products that I thought were good enough when other, more experienced RC'rs suggested something else. I ended up paying way more in the end. I am not saying iChargers are the only chargers.... that decision is up to you to make.

For more information, search "iCharger" on RCGroups.

As far as amperage, go as big as you can possibly afford. Amperage directly equates to charge time. As batteries can take more and more charging C rates, the more amperage you need to use these capabilities. Plus higher amperage will let you utilize the benefits of balance parallel charging!
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 06-26-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.