RC Enthusiast

Upgraded Wheels and custom parts - no more flipping over

So... I got sick of the unstable Slayer. After installing the SwayBar Kit, and Tuning my suspension, I still had an issue with flipping over. I decided to widen the wheel base by putting larger wheels/tires on. I went with a traxxas 2.8 in wheel, and a 4.8x2.7 - with a 12mm hex. Now came the tricky part. I could not find a 12mm hex insert that:
    1) had a diameter big enough for the 4x4 axle.
    2) had a pin slot on it to fit the 4x4 axle pin.

Tire Comparison:

So i made one. with a drillbit and some time, I made this:

Haggard, I know. But this allowed me to mount those larger wheels on my slayer. Went for a test run, and it worked. Not only does it look AWESOME, but BARELY flip over. EVER.

Then I had these made up:

If anyone is interested in some of these, I have some left overs, plus I can have some made up. I have them in both aluminum & a hard plastic.
    Slayer 4x4 - Picco .26 MAX
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Competitor
    I'm in for a set! What kind of cost? Would also love to see some pics with those installed!

RC Enthusiast
    Sure thing. Here is a couple with the body on. Then a couple with it off. Notice I had to cut the body some in the wheel-wells because of rubbing.

Also notice that there are 2 kinds of wheels you can get. The one on the left is my preference, because it actually increases the wheel base substantially. Youll notice it has a 1/2" offset into the wheel. The one on the right doesnt have that offset, so while making the tires bigger, it doesnt really increase your wheel base.

I would say $12 bucks for the anodized aluminum ones... Id have to ask about the plastic ones since there is not post-machined treatment...
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Competitor
    Right on! Looks good! Another alternative are the Losi Ten-T wheels and tires. They bolt right on to the 14mm hexes.

I do like the 12mm hex option though. I have a large selection of 12mm 2.8" wheels/tires that I could swap on from my Rustler!

RC Enthusiast
    Yea, that is what I found as well. my LHS stocks ALOT of 12mm.

I love that body man! What style is it?

Wheels look sick too.
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Competitor
    Thanks! The body is a Pro-Line Desert Rat body for the Slash 4x4. It is a little bit short for the Slayer Pro (notice all of the room between the body and the rear bumper), but will fit an original Slayer just fine.

Was also just thinking about how these 12mm hexes will also give you access to just about ALL aftermarket short course wheels and tires made for the Slash trucks. Nice!

RC Qualifier
    These are the 12mm hexes that fit the slayer axle: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXYE&P=7 you will need the slash pins as wells.
    Last edited by mulepic; 06-26-2011 at 06:51 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Yea, I figured as much. I KNOW that 2 years ago, those didnt exist. Only in time will something be made...

Thanks for the input
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC Qualifier
    MrBlarg............
    That is a sweeeeeet looking truck!!!!!!
    This is getting expensive!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Turbo.....

How ya keep that thing on the ground with the Picco????
    This is getting expensive!!!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Its tough... but I love it. Notice how bad the body is? Yep...
    Slash Ultimate 4x4

RC poster
    What is the part number for the wheels and tires with the bigger offset. And on a stock slayer what can i do to make it stop fliping besides sway bars.
    Thanks
    Sean

Those are the Stampede wheels/tires. Not sure if the bigger offset is the rears or not.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    I like the way that looks its halfway to being a revo haha. I used some 17mm wheel adapters and 1/8 buggy tires.. it helped a bit but it still had a high flip over rate it also hepled control in the air..

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I want a wider stance on my slayer pro . Not to much just a 1/2 of an inch or less wider . I wants wheels to sstick out of the body a just little bit . Does any one know if theres a spacer or an extender I can use to widen the stance. Also does anyone know a wider wheel and tire that would fit the slayer (14mm hex). I want the ttires a little wider for more traction and less rolls and flips . Also I don't want the monster truck look. Meaning I don't want my tires over sized . Thanks guys

Oh also fOr ARIESGTURBO - what kind of wheel / tires are thouse ?! And can I put in a proline badlands on thouse wheels ?!? Hex size ?!?

Hey bro nice truck .. What kind of tires/wheels are thouse and what rc did tey come from .I really want a wider stance on my slayer bc it keeps tipping over with the stook wheels .also do you still make thouse hex (12mm ) if not do you know where I can purchase one ?!?
    Last edited by Double G; 08-20-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    there is certain company that makes some offset hubs. but only thing is they are 17mm hubs. i'm running 1/8th scale buggy tires and rims with th 12mm offset hubs (close to a inch wider stance), haven't had a chance to run with them yet, will let you know. i'll either post here or in my build. and i'm pretty sure the SC8 runs 17mm hubs someone correct me if i'm wrong. but i'm looking into haven't had a chance to really look yet, caue i'd like to go back to a short course still rim, or a offset 1/8th rim. Because the ub sticks out past the wheel and don't want to grind the end off. but i have some pics with the hub extensions on in my build thread, if you'd like to see them.

RC Champion
    I liked the 12mm hub mod as well. This is what became of my slayer.

Slayer body still fits. Handles better than it did when I got it. Geared a little lower to keep the tires spinning.