Thread: Battery Help

RC poster

Battery Help

I have ordered the Thunder AC6 Charger. What i need help with is what LiPo battery is compatable with the slash 2wd? Could someone provide me with a link or two for some good battery options?

Thanks,

RC Champion
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    Here is the one I have, 45 minutes run time. So long I get bored after a while. Fits with no modifications and works with the ac6.
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

RC poster
    Evil,

is this shipped with the connection compatible with the traxxas, or is there wiring work required?

RC Qualifier
    Look at the same place you got the ac-6 if I'm thinking of the right place. Their lipos are cheap and from my experience work very well.

RC Racer
    It has a deans pre-soldered, So yes there is wiring work unless you have deans on your ESC. I'm not sure the charger comes with traxxas connector though.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genuis jr. View Post
    It has a deans pre-soldered, So yes there is wiring work unless you have deans on your ESC. I'm not sure the charger comes with traxxas connector though.
    Also, I watched the review on it and it said that some of them don't come with any connectors at all, so beware. I personally wouldn't trust myself to be able to do that.
    Land of the free?

RC Racer
    Do what? Solder the connector?

RC Champion
    if you're truck isn't VXL get the SPC lipo mentioned above if it is I will be getting one of these for my rustler vxl
    http://got2gorc.com/product.sc?produ...&categoryId=12
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Genuis jr. View Post
    Do what? Solder the connector?
    Yes.

@ The VXL

Are those like a renamed hong kong battery or are they in house?
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    Of course they're not renamed hong kong battries they aren't even named they're just made by one bloke called Douglas and have you seen the discharge rates!! The only reason that they are cheap is they haven't got a fancy name like SPC or *******. They're just good and honest
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    You can get any SPC battery with any connector you run. There is a small drop down screen that allow's you to get it with the connector you need.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    Of course they're not renamed hong kong battries they aren't even named they're just made by one bloke called Douglas and have you seen the discharge rates!! The only reason that they are cheap is they haven't got a fancy name like SPC or *******. They're just good and honest
    Lulz. Dude, some bloke isn't just making lipos in the garage. He's obviously taking cheap hk batteries and putting a lable on them. I'd be very suspicious of those c rates.

RC Champion
    you can't prove that and besides you don't think these c rates are suspicious?
    http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/html/G...sBatteries.htm
    exactly I'm getting one and I'll tell you if they're any good or not.

sorry but look at this video on his youtube channel it's insane
    http://www.youtube.com/user/got2gorecycling
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: merge
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I'm just saying that I wouldn't trust them. On the other hand, I have heard MANY great things about SPC and have had excellant customer service from them. I am going to be getting MY lipos from spc. But nobody else has to.
    Land of the free?

Quote Originally Posted by I EAT DIRT View Post
    You can get any SPC battery with any connector you run. There is a small drop down screen that allow's you to get it with the connector you need.
    Well, actually SPC offers Deans and Traxxas connectors. I previously ran PowerPole connectors and really enjoyed their genderless design as well as the ability to crimp a dozen or so connectors while watching TV and holding a young toddler. I was just a little put off when I learned that SPC did not offer my choice of connector.
    Then two things happened:
    1.) I bought a couple more Traxxas vehicles.
    2.) I melted my first PowerPole.
    I very quickly switched to THCCs and haven't looked back.

I find it very interesting that some batteries are spec'd like 20C/40C (continuous/burst) and some are spec'd like 50C/60C. (Let's ignore the 150C claims for now. ) Shouldn't a burst spec be much greater than a continuous spec? It seems to me that different ratings methods are being employed. I believe the specs listed by SPC are valid and true. Others... I'm not so sure they would hold up using the same method.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    that seems true as i read that the maxamps 150c ratings however absurd they are are true it's just its the c rating for the cells not the pack. and most other manufacturers employ pack discharge rates from 15-65c these are plausible but the 150 is clearly not a pack discharge rate. maxamps just wanted to us to believe it was so they could justify their absurd prices and get rich and many still fall for it today
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you can't prove that and besides you don't think these c rates are suspicious?
    Wait, so because the guy can put a 6s in a truck, its proof that he made the packs himself?

Guess I'm in the lipo making business too!

http://youtu.be/D2sRsqtlRjs

OMG! its a 4 cell lipo in a Slash!

exactly I'm getting one and I'll tell you if they're any good or not.

sorry but look at this video on his youtube channel it's insane

Yes, 6s in a monster truck is almost always insane.

Listen, you can believe a guy is making lipos from scratch in his garage. Its funny that after saying that, you choose a different brand to buy.

You guys shouldn't get so wrapped up in C rates, its just a marketing gimmick. If you have a brand you like, then just buy their top rated pack. These days the C ratings matter very little.

You also can't compare the rating across brands. Just because one brand says they're 50C doesn't make them any better than another brand that calls it 25C. Sure it SOUNDS better, but its apples and oranges.

RC poster

Battery advice

Check this link out:

http://www.youtube.com/UltimateRCnet.../0/n1d07VuMgzI

It was said previously, 45+ minute run times.

Mine have come with deans installed.

RC Qualifier
    I have 8 of the GensAce packs 6 packs are the 5000mah 40c and 2 are 4000mah 30c. Of those 8 packs I had 2 fail. Both failures however were my fault. The first pack puffed when I left it plugged into my slash. When I checked the volatage it was well below 3v per cell. The other the hard case broke on a very very bad crash (lawn darted the slash into the face of a of a double that I misjudged) again my fault. Hobbypartz replaced them both. The one with the broken case I had to send back to them at my cost, the other due to safety concerns a pic of the pack was sufficient. Seems that as long as it is within the warranty period of the batteries thay are good about replacing them. I also use the ac6 it is a very nice charger but I am looking into a charger that is capable of charging at more than 5amps as the GensAce packs claim to be 5c charging capable if they are I can not say as I have not been able to confirm this. But I will as soon as I get a charger that is a little more powerful.
    Last edited by pentec; 06-27-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    4908x2
    MERV
    Slash4
    Slash2
    Creeper
    miniSlash