Thread: Newby Questions

RC poster

Newby Questions

I have the slash 2wd, not sure of the model number but i think its the lowest model. Has the non-2.4 ghz radio (whatever that is called), brushed motor, 2wd etc.

first,
    I bought a LiPo battery from a hobby shop and have a charger that will charge it and it makes my truck considerably faster, but i was wondering if it is safe to run LiPos on an otherwise bone stock truck. I have seen mention here about changing the ESC to lipo mode, but that may be for the better models of slash or something. I havent noticed the ESC getting hot when i reach in to turn it off or anything.

second,
    I just drive around the acreage i live on which has a mixture of grass, gravel and thick sand with the occasional concrete driving. The stock tires seem to get really poor traction in the sand and thicker grasses but seem perfect for concrete and loose rock, but concrete and loose rock dont seem like they would be to difficult for any tire. Does anyone have any recomendations for an overall good tire? As long as they aren't terribly expensive, the life of the tire isn't my main concern.

third,
    should i be cleaning my motor? All i have done thus far is spray it with compressed air and wiped off the outside when it gets dirty. I was thinking some sort of electronics cleaner might be good but then again, they show these things groing through puddles and stuff so maybe noting is necessary.

RC Champion
    1: You Have To change your truck to Lipo mode when you run it. Otherwise it will overdischarge and kill your lipos. Check on the esc if it says it has LVC. If not DON"t run lipos with your truck without getting an external alarm.

2: You might want to check out the Trenchers. http://prolineracing.com/tires/trenc...m3-soft-tires/
    I've heard many good thing about this tire.

3: You should be fine with compressed air. Electric motor cleaner also works. Also, make sure to lube it up on the bushings on the end every once and a while.
    Last edited by MotorStuff; 06-22-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Land of the free?

RC Champion
    1) you CAN run LiPos, you just need to use an external LiPo alarm if your ESC doesn't have a LVC.
    Otherwise, you'll run the LiPo down so far that you damage or destroy it.

RC Racer
    1.) Do you have the XL-5 with or with out Low Voltage Detection? it should say it in white lettering on the sticker of the XL-5 with LVC. I agree with everyone else who has already said "make sure you use low voltage detection or have an alarm."

2.) I agree with MotorStuff about the trenchers, but I would get the M2 (medium compound) and it will wear longer than the M3 tires.

3.) Yes, Cleaning your Titan motor will prolong its life and reduce the overall wear and tear on the motor + it helps with temps. Use a Good electric motor cleaner , then dry it out with compressed air. Use a light Oil (no 3 in 1) on the front and back bushings. Also inspect the brushes. they are shaped like an upside down U , as the brush wears down to the bottom part of the U. Motor temps will increase due to increased friction on the armature. I clean/lube my Titan motor 1 every 5 runs.

RC Qualifier
    For tires, if your willing to spend a bit I would go with the badlands. You will need 17mm adaptors and new rims. The badlands have a big motocross like tread that so far I have not seen anything they get poor traction on.

RC poster
    so i have the XL 5 esc, apparently I need an alarm... any recomendations? Thanks for the great advice so far.