Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Stampede to Slash Chassis Conversion Build Thread

I have seen a number of threads on converting a Stampede to a Slash, but I haven't seen any step-by-step, or how-to's, so here is my Stapede to Slash Chassis conversion build thread:

First: Why?
    - I've had an eye on the 4x4 Slash, but I've never liked its stance. I decided to get a pede, but I found its shorter WB a little unstable under power. Plus, I've never been a fan of the 'Pede bodies, and I really don't like the silly looking 'water buffalo' front body mount.
    - I know... what about the wheelies with the longer chassis? Eh... wheelies are cool, but if I don't have them, I'm ok with it.
    - Batteries... The 'pede chassis doesn't support my 4500mha 7-cell flat packs.

The Unbuild:
    I started with a stock 'Pede and added:
    - Slash Chassis - $20 (E-Bay)
    - Slash Center drive shaft - $10 (LHS)
    - RPM Body Mount Kits $10x2 (LHS)
    You only really need the front one, but I decided to replace them both when I couldn't find the body mount posts.

I seperated the front and back axle assemblies from the chassis. This really shows Traxxas' genius of design, 9 screws out and it was in three pieces. I cleaned everything up with compressed air:

The Rebuild:
    Almost all of the parts and pieces went back together as they should, with two minor hiccups:
    1) On the 'Pede chassis, the front screw-hole for the ESC is used as one of the mounts for the steering servo, so going to the Slash chassis I had to come up with another screw. The LHS didn't have any of the Traxxas flat screws so I used a beveled washer:
    2) The two back 4mm screws for the front axle assembly ('Pede) are beveled, the screws that go in the Slash chassis are button heads. I was pretty sure the beveled screws would work, but I spent the $2 and put the proper screws in to avoid any problems.

Once I had everything back together I got the most techical part of this build, plugging everything back it and getting the servo centered.
    - I got everything plugged in and powered up without the servo horn hooked up. I centered the steering channel on the radio, then I centered the wheels and put the servo horn on. A couple of minor adjustments and everything is good to go:

I did mess up though, I mounted the RX, hooked everything up and then realized that I ran the wires wrong. To get the wires in, I had to remove the RX, reroute the wires, then hook everything back up:
    This is what you want to see BEFORE you peal the back of the servo tape...

The Truck:
    Now I have this...

Now I need a body:
    I put my 2x4 Slash body on it, it looks ok, but the tires rub on the smallest of jumps and bumps:

I needed a short course body that would allow a ton of suspension travel, so I chose the J-Concepts Illuzion BAJR body. I laughed when the guy from the LHS called me to tell me the body I ordered had come in, he said, "He man, that ugly Slash body came it, you still want it?"
    So, here it is:

Prolog...
    Minus the body prep and paint, this conversion should take and experienced RC'er about an hour, two-three hours for someone taking their time. The hardest thing about it was getting the back axle assembly to mate up with the chassis, it took about 10 minutes to get everything lined up properly. Other than that, this was a very easy build.
    I still don't know what to call this thing, is it a Slash or a Stampede?
    Thanks for looking...
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-19-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: merge
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    would it been more easy getting a slash roller, some pede tires, wheelie bar, and a body.

Sure, but I already had the 4x4 Pede...

RC Competitor
    Hey looks good just saw it on RCC I am RCTRUX over there

RC Champion
    How does it handle compared to the pede? Notice any differences? Does it feel bigger?
    Merv, Sl4sh, P4de, Embe, Slash
    2400/2200/4000kv

On the steet, there is not much difference; wheelies are rare, but its not a big loss for me.

In dirt I see a big difference, the truck is a lot more stable under power and when I am hard on the brakes.

RC Competitor
    just found this topic...
    truck looks good!

is the RPM body mount kit really needed or will the stock body mounts work too with this conversion?
    and also, the battery hold down stays the same?
    I thought i read somewhere that the battery tray of the slash was bigger/different to that from the pede 4x4

Nope, the RPM mount kits are not needed, I went with them because I had modified my stock mounts to lower the body on the 'pede. The RPM mounts are a good upgrade option though.

The battery tray in the Slash chasses is longer, which is one reason I did this conversion. You can run 7 cell flat-packs in the Slash, you have to run hump packs in the 'Pede. So, the hold-down is longer to match the Slash tray, which came with the chassis. I'm pretty sure you can run 8-cell flat-packs as well, but I haven't tried that yet...

Thanks for the comments!

On correction to my last post:

You will need at least one set of body mounts (stock or RPM), the front body mount for the Pede is unique to that truck.

RC Champion
    been thinking of doing this to my truck. That body kinda reminds me of the maximum destruction body.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC Qualifier
    good looking truck if you go with lipo the wheelies come back

Messing around with my GoPro Hero2 I got for Christmas...

http://youtu.be/J_Rj4m_46P4

RC Enthusiast
    Wow haven't seen GP3300's in a while ! Those used to be the gold standard in NiMH's..
    3905 Emaxx

RC Competitor
    Good write up. I did the same thing, but I added a slash 4x4 front and rear bumper as well. The stock receiver box from the Pede 4x4 will mount in the slash chassis as well, right behind the front shock tower. It is a tight fit though with the servo wire and driveshaft cover.

Thanks!

Zack

Here it is in action...

http://youtu.be/J_Rj4m_46P4

RC Turnbuckle Jr. thedreadedend's Avatar
    Cool vid! Looks like an awesome area to bash, must be tons of spots to jump around. Next time your looking to change it up a bit, I would say go for a new set of wheels/tires or boil those off the rim and save $. That's a big change in performance, huge. Looks like your having a good time tinkering, very cool. Think you'll keep it sl4shed? I ended up trading off my p4de.
    I'm not a hatchet man! I'm a maggot!

RC poster
    Does the center drive shaft need the gears or did you get just the shaft at the HS. Like you paint job also. Are the body mounts a little shorter than the stampede body mounts?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    waht gears? there is no gears on the center drive shaft. the front body post/mount is lower on the slash.

RC poster
    Well I was looking on ebay and some center shaft had a gear on each end and some didn't. Just wondering if you take the gear off the stampede shaft and put it on the slash shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by ElkStalker View Post
    Well I was looking on ebay and some center shaft had a gear on each end and some didn't. Just wondering if you take the gear off the stampede shaft and put it on the slash shaft.
    Both ends of the drive shaft are splined, one end connects up to the spur gear assembly, the other end connects to the front diff.

But, I know what you are talking about, in a lot of the pics, they show the splined gears, you already have those parts, you just need the drive shaft.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-SLAS...item20c11c00fa

RC Qualifier
    So what did it cost you minus the body of course?
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC Competitor
    Are there any bodies that keep the monster truck look?
    don't mess with texas

Quote Originally Posted by NITR0 newbie View Post
    So what did it cost you minus the body of course?
    Including the RPM body mounts, about 50 bucks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Including the RPM body mounts, about 50 bucks
    That's about the same as what I priced out here in Canada, Now about that body. . . . . . what can I say, I like it alot better than the H2 and Rustler I'm running.

So I know they call a Slash/Pede a Slash MT, I can't help but wonder why a Pede/Slash doesn't get a different name Like a Stash or something like that.

PS. That body looks why better than the Rustler body I'm running now.
    O.S.21 Nitro Revo, Stampede 4x4, 2 Axial Honcho's

RC poster
    another question about the body posts. Is it just the mounts/posts or do you need the tower that the mount/posts sits on top. I see that the rpm posts will allow the body to sit a little lower or adjust hight. What position do you have yours set at with the j-concepts body.

Thanks

RC Competitor
    i just done this conversion with an proline baja bug body on and it looks great
    only my tires rub a bit to the body now...
    anyone who can tell me which (MT) bodies fit this conversion?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by yonzariq View Post
    i just done this conversion with an proline baja bug body on and it looks great
    only my tires rub a bit to the body now...
    anyone who can tell me which (MT) bodies fit this conversion?
    I've done the baja bug, the jeep body they all need to be trimmed out, so the tires doesn't rub.

Here's a link to my sl4sh photo album, I've got 5-6 differnt bodies mounted in the pix. Also you may see the mounts I used for each body or at least some of them. I've got some pix uploading now so you can refresh the page in a few minutes and more pix will be there.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...0gE&feat=email

RC Competitor
    looks good, thanks, now i have gotten an idea about how and what bodies to fit

Witch body has turn attention? I have a hard time deciding almost every time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Here's a link to my sl4sh photo album, I've got 5-6 differnt bodies mounted in the pix. Also you may see the mounts I used for each body or at least some of them. I've got some pix uploading now so you can refresh the page in a few minutes and more pix will be there.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...0gE&feat=email
    Very nice job on the bodies!!! I think I like the green rally the best...

I like the way Google+ lays out the photos, I think I might have to check that out.

I'm glad I saw the bajr body painted up. I was looking at one at the LHS the other day and was having a hard time visualizing it.

How does it hold up to bashing??
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

Given my driving skills, or lack there of, it has held up very well. No cracking at all.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by thedreadedend View Post
    Witch body has turn attention? I have a hard time deciding almost every time lol.
    i really like the Ford pickup body and the truggy body, what truggy does that come from?

It is a Jconcepts illusion t4.1 body. I have some pix ans thread floating around the p4de forum. The thread is thedreadedends puggy build.
    Last edited by thedreadedend; 01-19-2012 at 06:51 AM.

RC poster
    looks like you forgot to add that the ESC on Pede is different than the Slash. Did you get a new housing so the holes lined up?

Stampede ESC:

Slash ESC:

The screws are a different size and location? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by bcristea; 03-15-2012 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added photos

RC poster
    I guess this just is not my day.

For some reason it looks like the drive shaft is too short as well. I bought the slash drive shaft so I don't understand why it's short? Any idea's?

That is really strange...

The VXL shown is the one that was in my Pede, I haven't modified it at all.

I'm not sure why you have slop in your drive shaft, again, there wasn't any in mine, everything mounted up fine.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bcristea View Post
    looks like you forgot to add that the ESC on Pede is different than the Slash. Did you get a new housing so the holes lined up?

Stampede ESC:

Slash ESC:

The screws are a different size and location? Any suggestions?
    the only things different in your pictures are the receiver box's, the skinny stampede one bolts to the chassis behind the front shocktower. the vxl esc is all the same, and that drive shaft is supposed to have slop to allow the chassis to flex without bending the driveshaft.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

RC poster
    Sorry, I said ESC but I meant receiver box. Do you need to add wire to get the reciever box to reach the front of the Slash chassis? Seems like the wires are too short.

The photo above was taken from GreatScott who did the coversion. I noticed he used a Slash reciever box?

Do you know how much slop in the drive shaft there should be? It just seems like mine has a lot and I"m afraid of stripping the shaft.

Thanks for you help.