Thread: Steering Issues

RC Competitor

Steering Issues

Hey ive got a problem with my steering:

The truck only really wants to steer one way; left. When i try to turn right the arc that the truck takes is probably 8-10 times wider than when i steer left. At speed it wont even go right at all. Ive got a fairly new servo thats good. Its the traxxas waterproof one, whatever the strongest is. Ive already tried rearanging the way the steering linkage is mounted to the servo and that did no good. Maybe theres a screw loose or something? im stumped
    What can i do to get it to steer evenly both ways?

Thanks
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    try ajusting it from the steering horn. make sure your steering horn is not crack also.
    if you hve the 2.4 ghz system, make sure your steering trim is set equaly.
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 06-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.

RC Competitor
    The steering trim is set all the way to the right because if its center the car goes left. Ive already tried centering the horn on the servo. I have no idea what it is but i know its not the trim. its something in the linkage
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

Quote Originally Posted by robbyt1994 View Post
    The steering trim is set all the way to the right because if its center the car goes left.
    If your trim is set all the way to the right to go straight the servo horn is not centered on the servo when it is centered at 0 trim…

Remove the horn from the servo. Set trim to “0” centered. Point wheels straight, and install horn on the servo.
    If it will not steer to the right after that then check for binding in the steering linkage.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Competitor
    could it be possible that the horn is slipping one way on the servo? how can i check for binding in the linkage?
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

RC Enthusiast
    here is what I think you should do.
    Take the screw out of the center of the servo saver and turn the car on. Let it self adjust and center the servo. The turn it off. Tighten down the screw and make sure your wheels are straight when your doing this by the way. At which point, you can adjust your trims back to 0* and turn it back and be confident that you have eliminated some of the problem. The turn it upside down and watch the spline move and see if the teeth are stripped. It might be stripped only one way and that would seem to make sense. But its part of the trouble shooting process overall.

RC Competitor
    OK. when i replaced the servo i also got a new horn because i think i had the same problem before with steering one way with the old servo. Ill look for stripped teeth
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post
    If your trim is set all the way to the right to go straight the servo horn is not centered on the servo when it is centered at 0 trim…

Remove the horn from the servo. Set trim to “0” centered. Point wheels straight, and install horn on the servo.
    If it will not steer to the right after that then check for binding in the steering linkage.
    I agree. Disconnect the horn. Power off then on center the wheels and reconnect the horn without moving anything and make sure trim is at center. If that doesn't work and you have the traxxas 2.4 radio u can reset the settings for steering trim. Maybe it got changed by accident somehow.
    Last edited by Cdavis0304; 06-19-2011 at 09:08 PM.

RC Qualifier
    my left wheel is slightly turned but my right one is perfectly straight
    Last edited by rcdriver5; 06-19-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Okay, now fix it. Before you ask how: spin the turnbuckle on the left wheel to pull the tire straight. Explains it in the manual.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    have you had the front bulkhead off or loose messing with the front diff anytime recently? had same problem once. ended up ot having the stay in place notches on the diff in place where they should be and it was binding against that and not letting it turn right!!!

RC Qualifier
    how can i keep the wheels straight while doing that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man View Post

RC Competitor
    What is a good way to see if theres binding in the linkage?
    -Off the Jump!!-

CRASH

Start by pulling the servo horn off the servo and moving it manually. If there is binding, a good first place to look is the pillow ball retainers.
    Either you are the Predator or you are the prey