RC poster

Best Glow-Plug for the 3.3?

My truck is nearly 2 years old and I've been through a gallon and a half or so of fuel. A shop here insisted my original glow plug was bad. So, they threw mine out and put one they sell in about 6 or 8 weeks ago. It was garbage after running the truck a little on two occasions. Then, they put in another one yesterday. It was garbage in less than an hour of running it today. Now, I have a replacement from O.S. that I found was with my tools. Put it in. It hasn't failed (yet). Does anybody have some more experience with what glow plug might be the best for this 3.3 motor? I'm really hard on the parts, especially the glow plug and EZ start system. Because I haven't ever been able to get the truck running right from day one, so it's constantly dying and I'm restarting constantly (sometimes takes a long time---several minutes of turning engine over to get it to start.

RC Qualifier
    Set the needles back to factory setting when you replace the glow plug. I have really good luck with the Traxxas 3232X plugs. I bought 7 on ebay over a year ago and still have a few left. An incorrect tune will ruin a plug quick, and that sounds like your problem. They should be lasting you more than an hour. And those things aren't cheap so take your time and get a correct tune. Break out the DVD again (if you don't have it, YouTube has the entire DVD posted) and use that as a guide if you forget the tuning process. I have to get it out every once in a while to refresh my memory.
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Racer
    +1 one on traxxas plug, ive run factory settings on my slayer pro since new and it runs great, used 2 plugs in about 2 gallons, my tmaxx 2.5r seems to use more, but not much also factory settings. when ever I change glow plugs or remove for after run oil I squirt wd40 down inside head and blow out with air compressor oil sticks to dirt and dust ,no dirt ever falls into engine. I believe this is a key to my long engine life.

same here I use the stock plug.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by WH20 View Post
    Set the needles back to factory setting when you replace the glow plug. I have really good luck with the Traxxas 3232X plugs. I bought 7 on ebay over a year ago and still have a few left. An incorrect tune will ruin a plug quick, and that sounds like your problem. They should be lasting you more than an hour. And those things aren't cheap so take your time and get a correct tune. Break out the DVD again (if you don't have it, YouTube has the entire DVD posted) and use that as a guide if you forget the tuning process. I have to get it out every once in a while to refresh my memory.
    I do still have the DVD, and I remember popping it in before I ever attempted starting the truck. But I don't really remember it going into technicals on engine settings/troubleshooting. At least, not simplistic enough for me to follow, that I remember. I remember reading in the manual that the high speed needle factory setting is 4 turns out from closed or something. I did that a week or 2 ago, and I still wasn't able to get it to start/run properly. And the other factory setting for the low speed needle, that it needs to be flush with something... I just can't understand that. Flush could mean almost anything. You could turn it two or three complete revolutions one way or the other and it would still sppear flush. And the idle screw, that is beyond me, but I've messed with it before and it doesn't seem to do anything at all.

RC poster
    The low needle about 1 7/8 turns out is close to the "factory" flush location from what I have seen on my 3.3's

RC Qualifier
    I run OS plugs in my 3.3's... They are far better IMO then the traxxas plugs...

I am currently running a medium plug with the hotter weather, always have temps of around 260...

When I run in the winter or cooler months I use a hot plug.

OS plugs rule!

RC Qualifier
    As far as the idle screw setting, look down the carb (with filter off) and you will see a gap in the slide. The gap should be the size of the end of a paperclip. So you should be able to slide the tip of a paperclip into that little gap in the carb without being able to wiggle it around. And I was referring to the DVD to show you the propper tuning from factory setting. You're right, it doesn't get into technical tuning but a good place to start with a factory setting. And all 3 needles have to be set to factory, not just the HSN. 4 turns out for HSN, like brian said, 1 7/8 turns for the LSN and paperclip size gap for the idle. Flush for the LSN is (this is hard to explain) the SIDE of the screw head can't be seen. The head of the screw is about 1/16th of an inch thick. You want the head of the screw flush with the hole so you can't see the SIDE of the head. Sorry if that's not clean but it makes sense in my head. Fresh plug, fresh fuel, factory setting on all 3 needles and you should be good to go. Don't get too frustrated, this is the "hobby" aspect of these things. You're always going to be wrenching on a nitro. But that's why we love it!
    If you can't beat it....destroy it!

RC Competitor
    The guys at the LHS put me onto these Dynamite DYN2508 McCoy MC59 power plugs. they are a goodinvestment. they made my revo run better than ever.

RC poster

Could be compression

Check your compression, you may need a new piston and sleeve. Try turning the flywheel one revolution with your finger. It should be relatively difficult. My nitro 4-tec 3.3 has been on the same glow plug for almost 2 years now and itís the one that came with it out of the box.
    I could be wrong, but the way i see it is if somehow youíve lost compression and itís causing a bad mix in the cylinder (lean) and that can kill the plug.

Hope you figure it out!

i run the o.s. plugs in all my rc's. all on 33% nitro traxxas top fuel. i run the Hot plugs year round and works great. and word of the wise 260 on temps is a little high considering right in the manual it says not to exceed 270 degrees. i like to run between 230 ish and 250 tops. i think the plugs i use are LC7? not sure been awhile and i kind of forgot. maybe LC3? not sure. someone has the right number lol. but i think they are also far supperior than the traxxas plugs. ever since i switched to them i never burnt out a single one yet. and i went through 5 traxxas plugs on 3 engines. all 3.3's
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    i think the plugs i use are LC7? not sure been awhile and i kind of forgot. maybe LC3? not sure. someone has the right number lol.
    LC3's. I think LC7's are for airplanes or helis. McCoy plugs are good too as well as the stock traxxas plugs. The glow plug is as good as the tune. If you have a bad tune, the plug will fail rather quickly. In my OS 21TM I'm still running the original factory LC3 plug that came in it. Ran it all the way through break in, and ran probably another 6 tanks after that and it's still hasn't failed. Why?? Because the tune is good. Do like the others have stated and start with factory needle settings and go from there.