Thread: Tooth Pinion

RC poster

Tooth Pinion

i stripped the screw that tightens on the motor and i need tips on how to get it off

RC Qualifier
    Least destructive: EZ out (spiral flute extractor) or similar device. Some will suggest a cutting disc on your rotary tool, to cut a slot for a screwdriver, but with a pinion screw, that'll be a challenge.

Potentially destructive: grind or belt sand the pinion down to *just* shy of the shaft,(effectively grinding away the grub screw), should be able to pry it off

Likely destructive: they do make gear pullers with a pin on them for just this purpose, but you're mushrooming out the end of the shaft as well as dragging a grub screw along the flat. At that point, the motor shaft is buggered up, and the pinion isn't likely to be usable, either.

RC Champion
    sorry if this sounds stupid but kman1168 are you sure you stripped the screw not the hex tool because the traxxas hexes are fragile. use a torch light up the inside of the screw and check if it is still a hex do the same for your tool. My traxxas 1.5mm wrench stripped instantly but not my pinion set screw so if it is the same case for you go down to your local hardware store pay a dollar or 2 for a quality tool or a bit more for a quality set.
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    If all else fail's a dremel will work best to get it off, just grind out the grub screw. Only bad is you'll lose that pinion.
    *Proud Husband of United state's Air Force wife.*

RC Racer

Thumbs up

to drill out the screw you're going to need to put some tape around the face of the motor, so you don't get any shavings in there. Drill out the stripped screw, being careful to not drill into the motor shaft. after said screw is drilled out slide gear off of shaft.

then go buy a new pinion gear.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by The VXL View Post
    sorry if this sounds stupid but kman1168 are you sure you stripped the screw not the hex tool because the traxxas hexes are fragile. use a torch light up the inside of the screw and check if it is still a hex do the same for your tool. My traxxas 1.5mm wrench stripped instantly but not my pinion set screw so if it is the same case for you go down to your local hardware store pay a dollar or 2 for a quality tool or a bit more for a quality set.
    Yeah. Go and get a hardened steel tipped 1.5 and try that first.
    I'm not wrong, you are wrong. I'm Crazy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Yeah. Go and get a hardened steel tipped 1.5 and try that first.
    To my surprise, this worked for me a while back and I've since bought a $18 Hudy 1.5mm hex driver to prevent it happening again. I wish Traxxas didn't include a 1.5mm driver with the car so I couldn't have created this problem in the first place!

RC Qualifier
    I had this same problem today. My set screw was stripped and the 1.5 wrench was not. I was able to remove the set screw easily with a non-metric wrench. Not sure what size it was, whatever the next standard size up from 1.5. Maybe 1/16" ?
    Last edited by snicklefritz; 06-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.
    I Wanna Go Fast!

RC Qualifier
    when me hexwrench was stripped, and the screw wouldn`t come off,
    i`ll took a hobbytool
    drilling with titanium drills first 1.5mm later 2mm
    after that i found something better

works like a cutter only very smal
    this pinion was on a 2nd hand slash and maybe the old owner used some glue or loctite
    franz
    greetings from holland
    www.rcm-alkmaar.nl