RC Racer

Powerhouse - The Villain going bad!

Hi everyone.
    Anyone into RC has obvious a startingpoint of their more seroius approach, and mine started at drifting with RC-cars. I always choosed a slightly diffrent drift-body than everyone else and I just love stationwagons. And so of course I needed a boat to drag around with the same color-scheme.

After modding a bit on that boat I came across an ad with an stock Villain IV where all electronics were fried according to ad.
    The only thing wrong with the boat was actually the reciver and I went 2.4GHz anyway so it didnt matter.
    I ran the boat with the stock ESC XL-1 and stock motors a few times and got bored.
    The I found "theshreves" project and got inspired so I located a used Novak Superduty XP and hooked up 2 Orion Method R V2 17t and BOY did the boat fly with 8.4v.
    I ran it one seasong like this and NEVER had any issues with it. Not until I discovered something called brushless

Having run my slash on an EZRun-system with 8.5t (4000kv) I recon that with the gearing-possibilities in a Villian, this would be a good way to start...so I placed an order on thoses with new ESC:s from seaking (same company)

Onced I installed it to the boat, second on my mind was to make it look better as well. So I ordered the trim-details and also new octura 447 to replace the plastic ones.

The first run turned out as a disaster! One motormount was not tightened and then on the second motor the u-joint broke. So first testdrive lasted 15 seconds.

The second run was not that impressive either, two cables on the righthand motor was not fixed so it came loose.

Third-time everything worked out really great, and friend of mine took som snapshots during the drive as well.

During that run I noticed some improvements that I need to have done before boosting performance any further. The boat is very "nervous" while turning, but it turns very well

I trimed down the motors angle and that helped out a lot but if I turned to fiercly while driving, it would still flip

After that I got stuck with it, running it a few times but didnt have the spark of it until I went to the annual boat-show in Gothenburg, Sweden that is held once a year.

I needed to do something drastic to get hooked again, with the Traxxas spartan comming and all.
    So i decided to repaint the hull overall since most of the trims were ruined anyway

Most of the electronics and mechanical out

Trying to get inspiration...

Not that beautiful

How will this end up?

The paint was not what I expected but it turned out ok anyway...Still the same electronics, just added some turnfines that were 45 mm...the boat "dug" thru the water so I have shortened them a bit and will try to see if it improved it a bit. Otherwise I will remove them and try my second solution of adding 1 turnfine in the mid-section of the boat.

Here are some crappy pics of it in the maiden voyage as a newly painted boat

Last edited by cooleocool; 06-17-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: merge
    Powerhouse Sweden
    Villain IV with Octura 447

RC Qualifier
    Sweet Build I like how clean your engine bay is!!!! I have 2 60 amp escs but one is for my KOS and the other was a spare... If I get a T-180 amp or CC 240 for my KOS P1 Ill replace the traxxas escs with the Venom/*******/sea king 60 ampers LOL

Nice build I may be in Sweden sometime this summer If I go Im bringing the boats!!!

BTW what Batterys are you running?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-17-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: merge
    V Twin Emaxx
    inferno gt2 aka XO1 Destroyer

RC Racer
    I was running ******* 2S 5200 mah 30C, but I will now run ******* 3S 5000 mah 30C and reduce the effect on my control to get longer runtime
    Powerhouse Sweden

Nice boat, she scoots along pretty good! The action shots are very nice as well! Thanks for sharing!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Having it re-painted, I wanted to take som new and better pictures of it. I have this season put on trimtabs but I recon they were to long since it runs deep and heavy. I have shortened the fines now from 43 to 25mm and will do a rerun today to see if it has improved. Either way, some nice pics came out of it:

Powerhouse Sweden

RC Racer
    I was a little boored the other day...Needed someone actually driving the boat

An of course we needed to take a testdrive as well
    Powerhouse Sweden

RC Racer
    Just added turnfines, will now sharpen and balance the props again.
    Will look into after testrun if trimtabs are needed to support the speed

Powerhouse Sweden

RC poster
    do u know how i could make my faster with out runnin brushless

RC Racer
    I switched my stock 21t motors out and replaced them with Orion Method R2x19t engines and the Octura 447 propps, running them with a Novak XP and stock pinions and spur, it made a ton of diffrence and a great improvement.
    That is the route if you do not want to run brushless.
    Powerhouse Sweden

How many volts are you running through those 540 motors?

Turn fins look great, by the way!

RC Racer
    Im running them on 3S, 5000 mah and 78% output on efficiancy on full throttle and I still can not go all out. But I hope turnfines will assist now on a better level of stability.
    Also yesterday I reworked the drivshaft to have no glitches at all!
    Powerhouse Sweden

That's a lot of voltage running through those 540s! How are they holding up wear wise?

RC Racer
    Not a single issue, As menationed above the effect Im running. 4900 mah lasts around 30-40 minutes mixed driving and the tempature NEVER gets above 30 degrees Celcius. Neither on ESC, motor or lipo.
    Since punch is set low and I am not triggerhappy unless I already have built up speed. Everything is stock and holding fine.
    Only winterproject I have is to replace the brasstubes on the outputs to ball-bearings.
    So for a 20 yrs old lady, it works wonderful!
    Powerhouse Sweden

RC Racer
    During this summer I have replaced all "brassbearings" with real ball bearings. I also hade an issue with both u-joints popping so I replaced them with graupener. Much to my disapointment, these did not hold up as well as I wished. So during this winter I will completly ruin the boat from stock-view since I will replace the turnable drivers with strutts to hold down the power and also remove the transmission and introduce a direct drive instead.
    Powerhouse Sweden