Thread: Spur gears

RC Enthusiast

Spur gears

Hey Slashers, I'm sure there's been threads on this already, but what is up with the spur gears on the Slash????? I take a brand new one out of the package and put it on my truck, only to find out it wobbles horribly and isn't even round. Also, the mounting system for the motor is far less than ideal, and lets the motor move fairly easily which strips the spur gear. Don't get me wrong, I love my Slash and I love Traxxas, I've been a loyal fan since the original T-Maxx came out, but this just looks like poor quality control. Does anyone know of a solution to fix the spur gear and motor mounting system for good? I just want to be able to set the gear mesh, tighten down the motor and go.

RC Racer
    The spur gear can be fixed using the STRC Layshaft and the Associated slipper clutch combo along with 32P gears. You will never strip one of those. Not sure about the motor. Try different screws.

RC Qualifier
    Its funny I have never stripped a gear yet and I use all stock Traxxas gears. I have been looking into the STRC lay shaft and Associated slipper mod because of the better slipper clutch, but so far I have not had a problem. I do agree that the spurs could be much better but I believe your problem may be your gear mesh. I find the high spot on the spur and set my mesh from there, I don't know if that is the thing to do but it has been working. Not sure about the motor screws I use the stock ones but I do believe their is a better alternative but I cant remember who makes them. If I find them I will post it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The stock motor mount screws are fine, but they do need a drop of loctite.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the help, I will try some lock tite on the motor screws and see how that goes. I also might convert to the AE gears, that looks like it would work pretty well. I didn't know you could even do that. It's just a shame that Traxxas can't make a round gear for the 2WD!!! I also have a Slash 4x4 and the spurs for those are just fine, I've never had any problems with those at all it's weird.
    Last edited by eric3D2; 06-15-2011 at 05:05 PM.

RC Racer
    You can use the pinions and spurs from the 4x4 if you have the spurs for the slipper clutch. The should bolt right on.

RC Qualifier
    Its not just the traxxas spurs. I put a kimbrough spur on my rustler,which is the same tranny as the slash, and I have the same problem. traxxas just doesn't seem to have a good design going there. I even have the old peg style slipper and it does the same thing. I've tried both styles from traxxas and can't seem to work out the problem. As for your motor moving its because the plastic gets soft when our motor gets hot and moves and also because if you tighten down our screws it leaves marks in the tranny case and they slide back to that spot when you readjust your mesh

RC Enthusiast
    staab08- Thanks for the input. I'm not sure why Traxxas went with the design they did, and like you said it just seems like a poor design. I'm really thinking about that AE conversion. I know some people do not have the problem I do, but the fact is that my truck DOES have the problem, and I want to fix it and stop wasting money on buying new spur gears all the time.

Evil Genuis- I will try the 4x4 gears, they don't really seem like they would fit to me, but I'll give it a try!

RC Racer
    I know the pinions will work but not positive on the spurs. Jato spurs will though.

RC Champion
    just got a 48p 86t spur but has the tiniest of wobble and is round guess i got lucky
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Do Traxxas only do three sizes of spur gear for the center diff? Im running a 52t at the mo after stripping the 54t, but was wondering if there where more sizes out there I don't know about?

RC Enthusiast
    Evil Genuis- I just looked at my 4x4 spurs and they do not fit on the Slash 2WD, the holes do not line up. As for the Jato gears, do you mean that they will fit right on to a stock Slash 2WD slipper without modification?

The VXL- Some spurs are better than others, I've had a few that really were not too bad it just is total chance.

Slash4x4.Rossy- I'm not sure about your question, but I'd suggest asking it in the Slash 4x4 forum. This is the Slash 2WD forum.

RC Champion
    yeah down to luck my slipper plate is at least 5mm out of line but doesn't seem to affect performance
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    @eric: the normal spurs do. the ones for the center diff do not. And the jato spurs are basically identical to the 4x4 slipper spurs.

RC Enthusiast
    OK, so just to be sure I understand this the right way, I can use spur gears from the Slash 4x4 slipper clutch? My question is, these are Mod 0.8, and have around 50 or 54 teeth. The stock Slash 2WD gears are 48p, and the spurs have around 86 or 90 teeth. If I convert to Slash 4x4 gears, what size should I get to keep it close to what a normal Slash 2WD is, without over/under gearing it? In other words, with the difference in gear pitch, what should I aim for in order to get stock Slash 2WD gearing from Slash 4x4 gears?