Thread: My Rustler 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

My Rustler 4x4

Hello Guys,

My latest project... A Rustler 4x4 based on the Stampede 4x4...

It's finished now with a few more things on it, but I took this video while I was building it...

Hope you like it...

Daniel.

200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

Looks good. Still a Pede, but I like it.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I like how it looks... and in no way mean to sound negative... but what makes it a rustler 4X4 other than the rustler body?

The rustler body does look good on there though... I love rustler bodies on stampedes...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I like how it looks... and in no way mean to sound negative... but what makes it a rustler 4X4 other than the rustler body?
    + Smaller diameter tires and lowered suspension.
    Had-> MERV, ERBE, Stampede 4x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, a 1/16 Rally/Ken Block/Camaro/Fiesta is the same car a 1/16 Slash with minor mods... A 1/16 Summit is the same truck as the 1/16 E-Revo with minor mods... Same here... I did't exactly the same as Traxxas did with those other RCs...

So, what's the difference? It has a lower height ride (now, not in the video), sway bars, stiffer springs, on-road tires and of course, a Rustler body...

Daniel.

Like I said... didnt want to come across negative... just wondering if you did anything we couldnt see... it looks great.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Looking good. can't wait to see the finished product and some running video. Mine should also look the same if i change the tires.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Like I said... didnt want to come across negative... just wondering if you did anything we couldnt see... it looks great.
    Non taken that way and I'm glad you asked! Wish Traxxas could release it so I can have proper body mount posts and a few other details...

So, what's the difference?
    Those 1/16 stuff are just toys , they just throw whatever body on it, they want to call it, the 1/10 scale stuff is serious business

Really, Wheelbase. I could say this is very Rustlerly , but it's still a Slash

IMO a Rustler 4x4 takes an inbetween wheelbase, and a flat chassis. I love the idea, but nothing we do to a Slash or Stampede chassis can make it a 4x4 Rustler. I mean let's face it, you can put a Rustler body, tires, and body mounts on a 2wd Pede, and it's still a Pede.
    _
    _

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So, a Bandit is a Rustler with shorter a-arms? O a Rustler is Bandit with longer a-arms? And, different wheels and body of course... Hahaha...

Until Traxxas releases a true Rustler 4x4 this is the best I can do... And, I'm sure Traxxas will make it some day and copy our ideas as many times they did before...

So, a Bandit is a Rustler with shorter a-arms?
    They share the same forum
    _
    _

that's the coolest rustler i've ever seen.
    (2) RC8TEs, RC8.2E, Slash 4x4, Ofna LX2E, Slash

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice conversion,

RC Qualifier
    looks cool. idk if you know already but your missing the rear pin holder.
    i dout they will ever make a 4x4 rustler because its a stadium truck, a stadium truck is 2wd with ribbed tires in the front

RC Champion
    stop picking holes in it it is as close to a rustler 4x4 he could make it and because it's lowered it'll handle like a rustler except its 4wd making it better
    Does more $ = More fun?
    Rustler VXL

Check out the rustler forum thought. There is a guy making a true rustler 4X4 using a pede drivetrain on a rustler chassis. THATS a rustler 4x4. Again though... ill say it a million times. The rustler body looks sweet on a pede of any kind. I do the same thing to all my 2X4 pedes... lower them, run rustler bodies... still pedes but they look very rustler-esque.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hahaha... One thing I noticed, is that the wheelbase is like 1 inch shorter... I'll put some comparison pics as soon as my Rustler VXL is back from a bad crash at full throttle against a concrete column...

RC Qualifier
    Check out the rustler forum thought. There is a guy making a true rustler 4X4 using a pede drivetrain on a rustler chassis. THATS a rustler 4x4. Again though... ill say it a million times. The rustler body looks sweet on a pede of any kind. I do the same thing to all my 2X4 pedes... lower them, run rustler bodies... still pedes but they look very rustler-esque.
    Can you post the link to this build? I'm very curious but I could not turn up anything after a search.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Traxxas should make one. Every rustler lover would just have to have one.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Racer
    So, when you lowered the shocks what exactly did you do? I tried removing the spacers and all it does is makes it super mushy.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
    So, when you lowered the shocks what exactly did you do? I tried removing the spacers and all it does is makes it super mushy.
    I added this (the two shock mounts on the top) to shaft on the inside of the shock...

Part # 2669 - You could also use a piece of fuel tube...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, on tuesday night I took this video, I changed the motor/esc to a Velineon, added a heatsink/fan to the motor and went to test it for the first time...

After like 10 minutes, I hit a street bump and the truck went from 3/4 throttle to 0, just like that... Broke the chassis in two pieces, broke the ESC mounting tabs, the front bulkhead, the front skidplate and a rear hub... The crash was so hard that it disconnected the LiPo from the ESC, removed the heatsink from the motor and the ESC from it's mounting tabs...

Everything else seems fine, including the center shaft, which I told many times here it was too short and it would bend on a hard frontal crash, now I have to take back what I said about it...

I'll put some pictures as soon as I get all the replacement parts in a week or two... Now it's time to test and crash my Stampede 4x4...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks great, I like it. Just shows the fantastic versatility of the ST4x4. I think I may have to get one of those big brown vans to bring one my way.

If you had two sets of wheels and tyres, and two sets of shocks (stockers aren't expensive) you could swap very easily and quickly between an onroad or off road truck. Great idea.

Now what can I sell...................
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

RC Qualifier
    Would the rustler body fit up on stock pede 4x4 mounts or do I have to custumize the mounts like you did? I'm not doing anything to convert to rustler just want the body on my pede 4x4!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, you need to customize the mounts like I did, the Rustler has only 1 rear mount and the Stampede has 2, also, as far as I remember, the front stock mounts don't match the holes on the Rustler's body (but I'm not quite sure as I checked it a few months ago)...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Yes, you need to customize the mounts like I did, the Rustler has only 1 rear mount and the Stampede has 2, also, as far as I remember, the front stock mounts don't match the holes on the Rustler's body (but I'm not quite sure as I checked it a few months ago)...
    Oh sorry I meant if I drill my own holes would it fit or would those holes my on a body crease or bad angle to mount clips?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BadMonty View Post
    Oh sorry I meant if I drill my own holes would it fit or would those holes my on a body crease or bad angle to mount clips?
    Just thinking aloud. If the stock body mounts have the Pede shell way up in the air, then a Rustler shell mounted the same height is going to look odd I reckon. I havn't tried it, and I may be wrong but just a thought.

Be interesting to know anyway.

RC Champion
    It doesn't seem like a project though.
    Well, compared to the other stuff you've done daniel...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Project - An individual or collaborative enterprise planned and designed to achieve an aim.

I know what you mean though!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by slash116vxl View Post
    It doesn't seem like a project though. Well, compared to the other stuff you've done daniel...
    Hahaha, thanks! I wanted to be the first one to do this convertion, actually, I think I was, but due to lack of time I wasn't able to post pictures or a video and TheJang beat me to it, so, then I was mad about that and just forgot to post a thread...

But, I'm pretty happy the way it turned out, it handles very very well, it brakes nicely (not like the Rustler VXL), and it accelerates in a straight line... I really recommend this convertion..

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think it would look great with some Dirt Paws on it, with some wide offset wheels.

Handling sounds really good. The one thing I remember about my Rustler VXL is how easily it swapped ends when you used the brakes.

RC Competitor
    This was almost a year ago, but I'm doing the same thing to my P4DE right now But I need to know where you guys find the body mounting posts that are metal and short enough to bolt right to the shock tower??
    Slash 4x4 (LCG/Sidewinder 8th/XO-1 Axles), SC10 RS

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeC25 View Post
    This was almost a year ago, but I'm doing the same thing to my P4DE right now But I need to know where you guys find the body mounting posts that are metal and short enough to bolt right to the shock tower??
    You can use the posts for the battery hold down strap from the Rustler. They will thread right into the holes on the shock tower where the stock body mount arms attach.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    Know where to pick a couple pairs up without having to buy battery straps??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

RC Competitor
    Awesome - I was thinking along the lines of my p4de battery strap (larger, more expensive strap with 1 post). Forgot the rustler and P2DE use the small strap and 2 posts. Thanks!!!

RC Champion
    Are those Rustler arms or Stampede arms?
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

They are most likely stampede a arms dude but what a sick machine.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!