RC Qualifier

Stampede 4x4. Brushed or brushless?

I really want the vxl but the cost is overwhelming. Which one should I buy? I don't need explaining I race and know what I'm doing.

Trying out lipo? Just make sure it doesn't blow up in your face.😧
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC Champion
    Considering down the road you'll most likely go brushless, I'd pony up and buy the VXL, you said you aren't new, I'd say if this was your first truck go with the brushed have a blast with it until either your motor dies on you or ya feel the need for speed and power then go brushless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Considering down the road you'll most likely go brushless, I'd pony up and buy the VXL, you said you aren't new, I'd say if this was your first truck go with the brushed have a blast with it until either your motor dies on you or ya feel the need for speed and power then go brushless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    X2.

The brushed verision will have to be upgraded to handle brushless, and will cost a lot more than just getting the brushless from the start. Plus, as good as Traxxas RCs are, Titan motors are not.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Brushless. Better motor, esc, driveshaft, adjustable camber links and probably a few more.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    X2.

The brushed verision will have to be upgraded to handle brushless, and will cost a lot more than just getting the brushless from the start. Plus, as good as Traxxas RCs are, Titan motors are not.
    The only thing really "needed" to upgrade to brushless is the center driveshaft. Also, the usual bearing adaptor. Sc8 esc and Traxxas funny car 2400kv can be had for cheap if you look around, then you are slightly above the cost of the vxl, and will have tons, and tons of power. Oh yeah and no heat issues.

Edit* I forgot to mention camber links, but these are optional
    Last edited by Lipo-power-please1582; 12-30-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipo-power-please1582 View Post
    The only thing really "needed" to upgrade to brushless is the center driveshaft. Also, the usual bearing adaptor. Sc8 esc and Traxxas funny car 2400kv can be had for cheap if you look around, then you are slightly above the cost of the vxl, and will have tons, and tons of power. Oh yeah and no heat issues.

Edit* I forgot to mention camber links, but these are optional
    Its your money. I would go for the VXL for just $100 more.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Go VXL right from the start. You'll get a darn good system and some one else will install it for you. If not you WILL end up having to install a brushless system yourself because the 12t Titan can't handle a Stampede. Heck it can't handle a Telluride for long.

73, Goat

RC Champion
    Besides the brushless system, the extra upgrades are well worth the extra $100.

- TQi remote (much better range and features, more channels)
    - adjustable metal camber links
    - thicker steering links
    - aluminum center shaft
    - wheelie bar
    - a cheaper no-battery-included option (because you probably already have your own)

RC Racer
    I know it's only $100 more, but that $100 could be put towards a better brushless system. On the other hand you could buy the vxl version then sell the electronics and use that cash to get a different brushless system. It all depends on what kind of driving you do. I'm not a fan of the vxl esc. No programming and no delay for reverse...(that's bad) I bought the brushed version because it was easier to explain the $289 to my better half. $130 more I put into it and I have sc8 esc and 2400kv motor. Plus $22 for tekno center drive shaft and I'm just under $450... I also live in Florida so heat was an issue for me with the vxl.

Edit* if you want to buy something and be done get the vxl... I will say that most people I know have replaced most of the stuff that comes on the vxl anyway..ex. Driveshaft, cvds, camber links, transmitter (depends, I run all my cars on one radio),
    Last edited by Lipo-power-please1582; 12-30-2013 at 07:17 PM.

RC Champion
    I'd cast my vote for the brushless vxl p4de. The velineon system is very dependable and should last you a long time if you maintain it and don't abuse it. From my own experience, the titan motors are of poor quality. I did regular maintenance on the titans which consisted of cleaning it with electric cleaner and oiling it, but they would never last. If they couldn't hold up in a 2wd rustler, then I'm skeptical as to whether or not it could last in a 4wd pede. Save yourself the time and headache and go with the vxl.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Another option is to get a new roller and make it how you want it from the start........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Another option is to get a new roller and make it how you want it from the start........peace
    Lol. Point taken.... I'm a sucker for new shiny stuff on the shelf of my LHS. I suffer from impulse buying syndrome...lol

I got mine brand new but if I did it again it would be a roller and custom electronics.plus I love new shiny stuff too dude..........peace

RC Racer
    Man, I have that same sickness! There has got to be some kind of group therapy we can all go to, to help us deal with "the new shiny stuff at the LHS syndrome".... wait! what? this is the group? Guys, it looks like we are beyond held!
    Hello hobby shop. Good buy paycheck.
    Last edited by KC5H; 01-01-2014 at 10:21 AM.

RC Racer
    Exactly. Went to the LHS one day for rpm arms, and I saw a brushed emaxx on the shelf soooooo, left with an emaxx and no rpm arms...lol

Yeah it's funny how things work out when I go to the lhs and come back with something I had know idea I was go I going to buy...........peace

RC Racer
    Hopefully nothing new is out....going to LHS tomorrow for tires...lol

There is a new proline 1966 Ford body out so watch your wallet dude mine may run off and buy it soon lol......peace

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    There is a new proline 1966 Ford body out so watch your wallet dude mine may run off and buy it soon lol......peace
    Luckily, and unfortunate at the same time, my LHS was closed by the time I got back in town today..

Oh well there is always next time dude.......peace