RC Enthusiast

Lipo charger help plz

Hey guys I have two Venom 2000mah (ven-15023) batteries with a charger (Venom LiPo Balance Charger 2-3 Cell (VNR0653). The booklet says 2.5 hrs I had a battery on there for about 3.5 hrs and the LED's never went green. I got nervous cause the booklet states 2.5 hrs for a charge... so i thought the battery was gone. I tested the battery ran it for 30 mins in the car no problem. So is the charger crap ? or battery? and can someone PLZ recommend a charger for lipos under 100 $.

You need to ask Venom for support of their products.
    Re: cheap chargers, you'll get a few recommendations from others. I believe that most times you get what you pay for.
    Under $100 will get you a basic, low power system. My latest power supply cost almost that much.

You should pay attention to the maximum wattage rating more than charge rate (amps). Some of the cheaper chargers are only rated at 50 watts. Since watts = amps x volts, you will only be able to charge a 3S pack at about 4 amps, no matter what the charge rate is listed as. So, forget about charging more than one (identical) battery in series at the same time, forget about charging at more than a 1C rate...

I admit that I have such a charger, though. It does my son's PowerWheels sealed-lead-acid batteries just fine.

Better?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-11-2011 at 12:44 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    Ksb ???? what does recco's mean ????

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks ksb you rock bro. I'm totally a newb fish here on batteries, being a aircraft mechanic I can wrench anything apart and re-assemble like a pro, when it comes to electricity im out of my elements at times. Thanks again for clearing this up for me