RC poster

Traxxas rustler vxl off road gearing?

I have a traxxas rustler vxl and i use a hi energy 4500 mah nimh battery but I keep on stripping my gears when i jump or bash what gearing should I use to bash and jump?

RC Racer
    I use the stock 25/83 gearing and it never gets too hot, but I never bash too hard. What gears are you stripping? I'm not sure gearing down would change an issue like that. I'm pretty sure its just to solve heat issues.
    E-MAXX 3905 + Villain IV + Rustler VXL

Sounds more like your slipper clutch is set too tight or you are landing jumps on throttle, not so much like you need to change your gear ratio.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree with dad, either don't land on the throttle so much or loosen your slipper clutch a little, how tight do you have it? How are you setting your gear mesh also?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by a.tillmann View Post
    I use the stock 25/83 gearing and it never gets too hot, but I never bash too hard. What gears are you stripping? I'm not sure gearing down would change an issue like that. I'm pretty sure its just to solve heat issues.
    25/83 ?? I thought it was 21/86......... hhhmmmmmmmm
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I use 26/83 in low cut grass and dirt and mine reaches approx 160 degrees in approx 30 min of use... I do a lot of jumps too and Im not stripping any gears but my spur gear keeps getting warped... make sure you have the pinion and spur meshed correctly... if the pinion isnt close enough to the spur you might be ripping the teeth off the spur driving too quickly
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC poster
    i keep on stripping the spur gear is a 76t

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I stripped out a 76t spur yesterday as well. Moving on to 32p gears now.

RC Racer
    If you are burning through spur gears like that running NiMH you should definitely check your mesh like NYbandit said. Place a piece of paper between the pinion and spur and make sure they can turn freely. All you want is a papers width between the two, not much more and definitely no less than that.

Shagnat, the stock gearing is 25/83 with the optional 28t pinion for road use according to the manual.

RC Champion
    Shagnat, the stock gearing is 25/83 with the optional 28t pinion for road use according to the manual.
    Wow....... thanks for waking me up.... dunno where I got the 21/86 from
    Ever Evolving Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The paper method leaves too much play between the gears and will actually cause stripping of the gears. Quality gears have clearance built in to the gear so you put them tight but not too tight that it binds. Takes a bit of practice but better results.

RC Racer
    Oh ok. I was just going straight from what the manual said on that one. That's how I've always set mine. I might have to re-adjust mine too then.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I did the paper trick until i found an app on my iphone called "RC car action" it's a magazine you can read on your phone and I highly recommend it for tons of helpful tips and lots of traxxas stuff in there. Anyways, there was an article in there about gear mesh and it talked all about proper gears and built in clearances and how the paper trick will lead to stripped spurs. Thought it was crazy talk since the manual tells you to use paper but posted the idea on a different forum and got nothing but positive responses on it and that it was the proper way to go. My apologies for the ramble haha.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Rusty View Post
    I did the paper trick until i found an app on my iphone called "RC car action"
    I love this awesome magazine I buy it every month from Barnes & Noble... Im going to subscribe to it next month as my "Golf Magazine" subscription is expiring

"RC Driver" is good as well, I might subscribe to that too since its only $9.99 for 12 months
    Rustler VXL
    Two Slash 4x4 VXL's
    Spartan Boat

RC poster
    Hi everyone, i just got the Velineon 3500 brushless motor and it doesnt pop big weelies like i see peoples do on youtube. what
    do i need to do in order to pop weelies but still be able to go sorta fast?

RC Qualifier
    19/83 is a good gearing. As for the above post, keep the gearing low. Like I said, 19/83 is a good gearing for general bashing and speed. The lower your gearing ratio, the more torque. The higher your gear ratio, the more speed.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC poster
    I have the 5200kv brushless and was told Thad 14/86 was a good set up, is that correct?
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 01-06-2014 at 10:16 PM.