Converting my Slash into a Rustler...

Hey guys, I have quite a few questions regarding how to convert my Slash 2wd into a Rustler. Since I've gotten my Summit and Slash 4x4, I rarely ever use my Slash 2wd, I mean I use it about every 4 months or so when my other rc cars aren't working lol. It's brushed right now, but when I upgrade my Slash 4x4 to the Castle SV3 3800kv combo it's going to get the VXL system. Any way, down to questions....

What parts are needed to convert a Slash 2wd into a Rustler? Also, if you can, provide links to the parts from Dollar Hobbyz. I'm going to upgrade the tires, so I won't need the Rustler Tires. On that subject, what are some good on road, (maybe off road tires) tires? Don't say Bad Lands or Trenchers, I want the tires to look scale.

I'm 99% I'll come up with more questions later, but until then that's all I got. Thanks for all the help guys!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Here is a link to the rustler lower chassis, upper chassis deck, front "bumper" (isn't much of a bumper), bulkhead, shock towers, and front body mount: http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...id-plates.html

Here is a link to the rear a-arms and turnbuckles. The front arms, turnbuckles, and steering rack are included in the set: http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-....html?___SID=U

Link to the shell (I like the black one the best) : http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...etal-body.html

Here are the rear drive shafts which are different because the rear a-arms are longer: http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...ng-blocks.html

Good luck with the conversion! You should love the rustler. If you are looking for some nice on road tires you might want to check out the anacondas, pro-line street fighters, or pro-line road rages.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Thanks! That helps a lot! I thinking about trying 2.8 Street fighters in the rear, and 2.8 road rages up front. Would that work?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Thanks! That helps a lot! I thinking about trying 2.8 Street fighters in the rear, and 2.8 road rages up front. Would that work?
    I would stick with the same tread design all around just for aesthetics and personal preference, but using two types would work. If you plan on picking up pre mounted ones you have to watch the off sets. The rustler takes electric rustler rear wheels while for the front it uses nitro rustler rears. For your own preference here are the proper tires.

Rear Street Fighters:According to proline's site they only list street fighters for the front which is weird??

Front Road Rages: http://prolineracing.com/tires/road-...tires-mounted/
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

Wow, thanks! The reason I plan on buying different size tires is I'm going for a hot rod type look. After looking around, I might not use the 2.8 street fighters, they're huge! Maybe the combo of Road rages in the rear and Speed hawgs in the front might look better, who knows. What on road tires are the best? I have no idea... Would the 4 tires and rims from the Jato work? How long do the Traxxas Anacondas last any way? Thanks for all the help!

Man, its kind of lonely talking to myself. Ok, here's another question. What is the best Transmission case? I plan on getting as much green parts as I can, so that leads me to the RPM case. I've heard of people having gear issues, just how bad was it, or was it just a fluke? Thanks guys!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Man, its kind of lonely talking to myself. Ok, here's another question. What is the best Transmission case? I plan on getting as much green parts as I can, so that leads me to the RPM case. I've heard of people having gear issues, just how bad was it, or was it just a fluke? Thanks guys!
    I've heard complaints that the two halves of the case do not align properly. I actually bought the rpm case for my rustler a couple months back and have not noticed any issues. The aluminum plate is great for diffusing heat from the motor. Maybe I was just lucky with my case but I think its a good product.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    I hate to not provide much information to help, but I just though I would say, after seeing dgudenau's first comment I would recommend picking up an RPM front bumper instead of the stock one. Personally it looks much better, and it definitely works much better.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I was looking to transform my rusty to a slash. Perhaps we should trade .
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeSneakyNinja View Post
    I hate to not provide much information to help, but I just though I would say, after seeing dgudenau's first comment I would recommend picking up an RPM front bumper instead of the stock one. Personally it looks much better, and it definitely works much better.
    I agree. The RPM bumper will provide much needed protection for the front end that the stock piece doesn't deliver.
    Stampede 4x4
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL