RC Champion

Difference in tires

I just picked up a KB rally.

I know the KB has different tires than the regular rally. How about the Boss?

How do the regular rally tires perform? What surface are they good for?

I am asking because I want a few different sets of tires for my KB. I want a grip set, a set for light dirt driving.

RC Qualifier
    I've got four sets of wheels tires now... Dirt, grip, drift, and the og Rally set.

The stock Rally tires don't have much grip off pavement, the tread's very shallow and they're a stiff compound. For light dirt, start with the chunkier treaded road tires like from HPI or Tamiya, or move up to the full knobbied rally tires to really dig in (Tamiya seem to be a favorite for these). I've been using HPI X pattern which work reasonably well in packed dirt when they're new, but they've lost grip as they've worn down.

The Rally tires need a good amount of power to get spun up for drifting well (on asphalt at least), tho mine seem to be better drifters now as they've worn all the treads down. I just picked up a set of full-hard "t" drift tires - basically solid ABS - and they're comical for drifting. ZERO traction on asphalt but seem like they'd be perfect for concrete surfaces. Good fun.

The Rally tires don't grip well enough for high-speed runs, imo. Too slippy to keep things from spiraling out of control. For that you'll want more grippy touring tires. I run Traxxas' 4tech for this, and the HPI X's grip well too (If you don't have the suspension dialed, these will traction-roll the car).

HTH

TRX 4tech, TRX Rally, HPI X

Modular hard T drift tires from R2Hobbies:
    Last edited by prototyp; 05-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Thanks, that helped out!

RC Champion
    The Boss tires are the same as the KB Rally, just a different wheel. I love mine so far.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    Fwiw, I took the T Drifts out to a local park with skate park, painted basketball court, and concrete paths lined with grass. I felt like the T's were kind of a joke out on the street, but on concrete: Epic.

Last edited by prototyp; 05-29-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Get some good slides?

RC Qualifier
    Yup. Two weeks now of daily drifting - usually a pack or two at least - and I've nearly worn them down. Drifting is a great exercise for throttle control, particularly on pavement as the T's don't hook up much at all. (Sry, still no good way to shoot video...)

The prototype project.

RC Champion
    Right on! I posted a video in the KB gallery/video thread of jus on my carpet, but I can only imagine outside will be crazier, as Ive still yet to get out and try the ultra-drift tires.

RC Qualifier
    I strapped a Flip to the chassis this afternoon to see what some POV drifting would look like. Need to do some editing, but the raw shots are crazy.

Check this out too: R2 Drifts on a weathered concrete driveway.
    The prototype project.