RC Enthusiast

Exclamation HELP ME!! slash is flipping!

Hi all,
    i have the mini slash VXL and love it, but it FLIPS SO MUCH!
    how the heck do i keep it steady?
    I have already tries the fiberglass anttenas from the toys and they snapped on the 1st run
    so please help!
    thx

RC Champion
    Do you mean that it flips over when you are doing speed runs, or that it is flipped because you are using a 3S Li-Po battery pack? I'm assuming it's because of the body. It's simple physics. The air will get trapped under the body and work just like the wings on an airplane. The force from the air and the moving body and the resistance cause the body to be pulled up and off of the ground and flip over. I would suggest getting a spoiler for the rear or trying to make the body lower by lowering it via the small screws that go into the body mounts. Lowering the body creates less room for air to come in and try the lift the body up, eventually lifting the whole truck up.

If it's because of a 3S Li-Po battery pack, then you either need to get a wheelie bar or be careful with the throttle. Don't just go straight from no throttle to full, as this will cause a R/C to wheelie and/or eventually flip over on it's back, or do a standing back flip.

E'VXL
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Racer
    I would assume he means well turning. The 1/16 slash has a narrow stance compared to the 1/16 revo. If you want better handling you could look to doing a conversion to a revo. If you don't want to do that you could try lowering the car by adjusting your shocks. That would give you a lower CoG and handle better. Also you could look into getting a wider tire. There are more things you could do but those would be good to start.
    I speak from experience.

RC Enthusiast
    im talking cuz of a stock NIMH battery and even on a slight turn
    Last edited by Zainiak; 05-27-2011 at 04:02 PM. Reason: the cow told me

RC Racer
    Well the battery really doesn't have anything to do with your turning, if your thinking a different one would solve the problem. Maybe you were just saying the type of battery you use...idk. Anyways, I believe your problem is the car in general. Again read what i originally wrote. I think that will help. Or you could just make corners really slow..heh

Also are you talking about really....really slow speeds its flipping? Like 2mph turn and it flips?
    Last edited by Sidenull; 05-27-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    I speak from experience.

RC Champion
    OK, if it's flipping when the truck is turning, then it's a different story. I would suggest getting some sway bars, which may help in controlling the truck during turning. Maybe weights on the chassis of the truck may help, also, to keep both ends down when turning. The 1/16 Slash does have a higher center of gravity (CoG or CG) than it really needs to, which is what leads to more flipping over and harder turns to accomplish compared to other R/C models. Another option would be to install the center differential (abbreviated as CD), which will limit the power to the front and back of your 1/16 Slash, so when the front is up, all power will be sent to the front, to make the truck have all four wheels on the group again. I can see how this might help in turning, also, if one side of the truck goes up to flip over and the other doesn't, but the center differential is for front and back, not left and right, so it may not work as well for turning and cornering. Sway bars would most likely help more, as they are meant for turning and keeping all four wheels on the ground when turning and cornering, which is why many people have them for sharp turns. Another option would be to set the steering expo on the transmitter, making it smaller so that when you turn and put the wheels all to one side, they won't turn as much and might help to keep the sides down, as the turn will be less sharp. This may not be the best option, as you won't be able to turn the servo on your 1/16 Slash as much to even attempt the corner that you are trying to get around. I suggest sway bars, which seem to be the best option for this exact problem.

E'VXL

RC Champion
    i have a mini slash, they're awesome but to reduce and nearly completely stop roll-overs you have to convert it to on-road only by lowering it by putting some fuel tubing on the shock shaft or getting a set of rally shocks.
    Or you just have to live with it and adapt your driving style to brake more for corners or take them slower. Don't worry if you can't manage that, after 6 months I still roll over(less than before and not lowered at least once in every 2 minutes of running.
    Good luck and have fun!
    By the way sway bars aren't that good they come off all of the time and don't make much difference.

RC Enthusiast
    The BEST and easiest fix . . . Slow Down.
    Flipping over is the best part of rc. What's wrong?
    You don't get stitches or a cast when you crash.

RC Champion
    Even though the truck is not damaged much by flipping over, it still is annoying sometimes and needs to be stopped. If you are running on a track and your truck keeps flipping over, it gets annoying and frustrating when you just want to drive, not keep stopping and flipping your truck back over. Slowing down will help a lot, but it's going to be less fun to drive if you're constantly trying to slow down to not make your truck flip over. Instead, you should just drive like you normally drive, but upgrade or get something so that the problem doesn't keep occurring. Sway bars, center differential, and a conversion to another truck all help in different ways.

RC Enthusiast
    While all of these suggestions are going to help the truck be more stable, but, whatever happened to learning how to drive the truck. Any vehicle, scale or full size is going to flip if you take a turn at full speed. I tamed my Mini Slash by using a technique we leaned when racing real motocross. You stab the brake and coast into the turn and then power out of it smoothly. Equipment helps yes, but nothing takes the place of good driving.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
    While all of these suggestions are going to help the truck be more stable, but, whatever happened to learning how to drive the truck. Any vehicle, scale or full size is going to flip if you take a turn at full speed. I tamed my Mini Slash by using a technique we leaned when racing real motocross. You stab the brake and coast into the turn and then power out of it smoothly. Equipment helps yes, but nothing takes the place of good driving.
    Yeah, that's really the old school way to get your R/C to perform the way that you want to. Need some more control? Get a center differential (CD), don't even think of trying to learn how to drive the car the right way and learn how to control it, just upgrade and forget about it. Performance first, work on learning to drive it... maybe later when I start racing. Lots of people think this way, as it's probably easier to install a CD in 10 minutes than trying to remember to remind yourself every 3 seconds to be careful with the throttle and corners.

Nothing does take the place of good driving, but I think that lots of people would just rather not learn and try to do something than just slap in some sway bars or a gyro.

Technology is shaping our lives...

E'VXL

RC Qualifier
    change your diff and shock oils and shock springs
    the diff oil will make a difference in turning performance
    the shock oil and springs will determine how much weight will transfer when turning and how fast it goes back into the upright position... allowing the car to stay on four wheels

RC Qualifier
    yeah, its not so much as what can i buy to make it stop flipping, its what can i DO to make it stop flipping! Ive learned this with my merv, when i first got it, i would flip it all the time, but usually not until it was about 500 feet away! eventually you learn how to keep all the tires on the ground, and you learn some tricks with cutting the tires and throttle while flipping to make it go back on the tires. but yeah, if you were driving your real car down the road, and everytime you came to a certain corner, you flipped it on its roof and had to get a new one and go to the hospital, wouldnt you start slowing down for that corner? not look for parts that make you not roll? lol just my opinion

RC poster
    When I kept mine stock standard, I found lowering the car (ie wind the preload rings on the shocks so the springsare at full extension) helped somewhat.

Once I got the GTR shocks and tan springs (front?) and black springs (back) it totally transformed the handling of my Slash VXL. Going a lot faster and then cornering it was far less likely to flip, instead it would slide, which is more realistic. I could increase the ride height almost to maximum and it would still not flip easily.

All of these were on hard concrete driveway, on a dirt track it's a different story (both stock and modified).

Hope this helps. It certainly made my Slash a lot more enjoyable for me!

RC poster
    Sway bars will DEFINATLY help

its unstable because of its size and little tires, slow down in turns.....

also set your suspension so it is soft..