RC poster

new dirt bike rider

I just bought a 1998 KDX 220R with a pro circuit pipe and V force reed. Its my first 2 cycle bike so I'm sorry if I sound dumb about the subject but I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. What should be the top speed of this bike with a 230 pound guy on it? I'm guessing my bike is running about 70-73 mph.

2. Is a K and N air filter worth the investment for this bike?

3. The bike has never been rebuilt,.. but it starts with just ONE kick. Would you even think about a top end rebuild?

Thanks for all your help.

RC Enthusiast
    A enduro bike with a 230 lbs rider top speed would be around 65 with stock gearing, K and N filters sre good but I would not spend the money unless the stock filter is shot. As far as a rebuild if it runs good, good power then just enjoy it and ride. KDX's ARE A GOOD TRAILBIKE.

RC poster
    Hello,
    The top seep of dirt bike is 110mph it is also depend on the rider how he is riding...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shagydeep View Post
    Hello,
    The top seep of dirt bike is 110mph it is also depend on the rider how he is riding...
    110mph? I don't know what kind of bike your talking about.
    Matthew 19:26

RC Qualifier
    lol for a KDX 220, more like 110 kph
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Qualifier
    If you're a confident mechanic it might be a good idea to tear down the top end and take a look at the piston. The last time I suggested somebody look at the top end he discovered a crack in the piston. A 2 stroke is a lot easier to tear down than a 4 stroke thankfully . A kdx could do 80+ MPH if you geared it that way, but I think a dirt bike is defined more by it's fun to ride factor than its top speed numbers. As for the filter I personally prefer no-toil oil and filters, it's SO easy to clean with the no-toil solvent. I haven't used a K&N filter but opening up airflow is a good way to add power, I'm not sure if the 2 stroke has a metal screen protector for the filter, if it does the screen isn't necessary for 2 strokes.
    I like turtles.

RC Enthusiast
    1. i had a kdx 220 with stock gearing and could pull 70 out of her according to GPS ...but thats on flat road and it worked to get every mph

2. k/n filters are awesome .... im not a fan of them for dirt.... i prefer foam no-toil filters or the more $$ UNI filters, moose also makes a good filter ... just my opinion. i have plenty of buddies who race flat track on pee gravel tracks with k/n filters and they get very very dirty but never seen any engine problems due to the filter so they do work

3. just like Meebert said .... the 2 strokes are very simple to work on. my opinion though .... if it cold starts with 1 kick dont tear it apart. if the bike is in good shape and doesnt look like its run 50 enduros ... the kdx 220 runs FOREVER. i would do a plug check though just to make sure jetting is good and as long as you arent to lean ... keep running it and have fun

are you riding dirt only ?? you have a great woods bike for a beginner..... have fun and enjoy the ride