RC Qualifier

I keep breaking the front bumper mount

I think this is the 3rd time ive broken the mount in the location in the photo now. rrgh. i have searched the forum, and there are some ideas, but just wondering has anyone 1st hand used or can recommend any upgrade parts or tips that help prevent this break? other than stop driving full speed into curbs, thanks

Last edited by varunaX; 05-24-2011 at 02:54 PM.

RC Champion
    The only thing that I can think of is to get a RPM bumper, but that only screws into the bumper mounts, so that probably wont help. Try putting a small piece of something between the bumper mount and gluing it there so that if you crash, it'll stay together maybe? Not sure if this will help or not, but it's worth a try.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Racer
    It looks like to big of a bumber to support heavy collisions I think this is the best option. Plus it will help prevent having a two piece merv. Seach tbone racing, if the following link gets censored, as I am rereading the rules for posting non traxxas parts, or links. http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...CA01-p422.html
    Last edited by blakktalon; 05-24-2011 at 02:59 PM.

I think I break that part more than anything on my MERV now, but I never break it like you did. Mine always gets messed up around the two hook like arms that the screws grab n the chassis. Still I have to say if you keep running full speed into curbs I think you should be happy this is all you are breaking
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    That is an RPM bumper in the picture...

RC Enthusiast
    That is the RPM bumper, I've been having the same problem....

What I did was glue the rounded pieces of the broken bumper inside the new bumper, and then cut the other piece of the old bumper in two and glued it across those little bumps and onto the other pieces I glued in, like on the back part right where it broke. LOL I hope that makes sense.... I wish I had a camera phone.

Basically use pieces of the old bumper to reinforce the area that broke. I reccomend gorilla glue or epoxy, because super glue or tire glue is brittle when it dries and will just break again. Also if you didnt keep the old pieces, use some lexan or a zip tie.

So far this has worked for me with marginal success, I break that piece less often but it still breaks.

Also, if you do stick something in there as e-revo said, make sure there is still a little gap left, you want the bumper to flex to absorb the impact, it's cheaper and easier to replace it than a bulkhead or chassis. Plus you have tons of extra body posts from buying that part all the time.

RC Qualifier
    thanks. im surprised there isnt a spring loaded bumper out there...im thinking that would help big time. i swear ive seen them out there for other cars

RC Enthusiast
    I have seen an aluminum spring loaded bumper... I think on thetoyz. Personally I would rather break a $5 bumper than a $10 or $15 one though...

I'm gonna go look for it. I'll return with a link!

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 REVO

oh it's $18... and a lot of people around here seem to hate integy for some reason.

Here it is in blue:

http://thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_deta...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 REVO
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-24-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    good find. i wonder if theres anyone out there whos bought it and could vouch for it

RC Racer
    when my merv was a slash i found the slash style bumpers seemed to be far more durable - i didn't break a hook piece once. maybe it was because of the extra length of the bumper, meaning it tended to harmlessly bend upwards, leaving the mount undamaged - i don't know. soon after i started using the merv bumpers i was breaking the mounts much more easily.

i would like to try the ford fiesta foam bumpers on my merv.
    Formerly known as "Wiggy Fuzz".

RC Qualifier
    The 1/16 Summit bumper kit comes with a brace that gets put on the two pegs for the bumper and than down to the screw in the front of the bulkhead.. It works great. its kinda a pain to buy a whole summit bumper kit just to get the brace....

its the peice between the bumpers on the left....
    http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 SUMMIT#
    If it is unbreakable, I'll break it.

RC Qualifier
    interesting. i think ill have to give that a try, thanks

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    interesting. i think ill have to give that a try, thanks
    be sure to let us know how it works for ya, and what you did If you manage to break it, if you do. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    The t-bonez front bumper will help all your problems. It fits my Slash perfectly with no problems what so ever I have my body lowered over where the front bumper wouldve gone, but I find absolutely no need for it
    Last edited by Slash240; 05-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    99%er

RC Enthusiast
    nice find 4wheel! That summit bumper doesn't look too shabby, maybe you could just run it instead of the rpm? wonder how it would look....

and it looks like OP has a merv, not a slash.... that t-bonez would look ridiculous on a merv.

RC Qualifier
    the t-bonez is ment for the Merv but i slapped it on my Slash and gives great protection. Really strong and they provide a warranty if you ever do break it. i think its litterially bulletproof
    99%er

RC Qualifier
    I know that brace made a big difference. When I had the Merv body I broke body/bumper mounts all the time, after I put the summit body and bumpers on, I plowed into a tree head on(wasn't payin much attention at the time) and it just bounced off with no breakage. Idk how the complete summit bumper would look on the Merv tho.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
    The 1/16 Summit bumper kit comes with a brace that gets put on the two pegs for the bumper and than down to the screw in the front of the bulkhead.. It works great. its kinda a pain to buy a whole summit bumper kit just to get the brace....

its the peice between the bumpers on the left....
    http://www.thetoyz.com/cart/thetoyz_...&cat_name=MINI 1/16 SUMMIT#
    i looked at the exploded views - i couldn't make out that brace, they all look as though they still use the merv style body mount. maybe it's a rolling update traxxas are hopefully now making?

EDIT: after realising i'm being an idiot, i've gone and ordered the bumper along with the traxxas big block motor mount and plate, sans receiver box.
    Last edited by well spoken waffles; 05-25-2011 at 02:37 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by well spoken waffles View Post
    i looked at the exploded views - i couldn't make out that brace, they all look as though they still use the merv style body mount. maybe it's a rolling update traxxas are hopefully now making?
    The body mounts between the Merv and Summit are the same, its the body posts, and the rear bumper moount that's different.

As for the brace, you take the bumper off, take the screw off that holds the bulkhead plate in place, put the brace on, put thhe screw back in, and install thee bumper I guess I could get a picture if I need too, idont know if its something new or not. I vought the Summit bumpers jusst a week ago or so.

RC Qualifier
    im also wondering if this play in my bumper mount is normal. do you guys see this as well?

RC Racer
    Not normal. That means you broke the 2 front mounting tabs for the whole assembly off so it's basically just one point holding it on now.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Qualifier
    the tabs are still there, are they supposed to be full circles?

RC Racer
    no they are correct as they are there. Then I'm not sure what the issue could be then. sorry buddy.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

tighten down the front screws

RC Qualifier
    yeah i think you are right. i think i stripped the front bulkhead holes, frack

RC Qualifier
    And that is another instance aluminum bulkheads are a good upgrade!!!

RC Qualifier
    t-bone kit saved my car numerous times
    i had broken that little mount a few times before i got the t-bone ...t-bone is a huge benefit if you are a basher

RC Qualifier
    so i am now trying the summit brace and so far so good, but just a fyi to others, the stock body shell will not fit properly when the brace is used because it can no longer fit down those 2 screw holes on the front of the shell

RC Racer
    Just need to ream the body holes a bit then.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    so i am now trying the summit brace and so far so good, but just a fyi to others, the stock body shell will not fit properly when the brace is used because it can no longer fit down those 2 screw holes on the front of the shell
    are you sure it's fitted properly? it just pushes the front bumper forward by a millimetre - it doesn't change the position of the body posts.

RC Qualifier
    It takes up some of the space the body does. Just have to trim the body a bit to make it fit.

RC Qualifier
    right, it affects the way the front of the shell 'locks' into the bumper. i had to trim the body a bit.

but so far the brace has helped, havnt busted the bumper yet. they should include that brace in the merv too, not just the summit