RC Competitor

Servo questions, would appreciate any input

So I picked up a MERV (2.4 ghz VXL) about 5 days ago and I'm already on my 3rd servo (all 3 have been Traxxas servos), and this one is already starting to give me some problems. Basically what has been happening is the gears have been stripping, one stripped so bad the whole motor kept cranking on it self until it died, the other I'm waiting on replacement gears from Traxxas. But anyway, my third one is starting to show the tell tale signs of problems, when I turn it all the way to the left (the same direction my other two servos were having problems) it makes a slight buzzing sound and will usually continue the buzzing sound after the wheels have been brought back to center (binding?).

Now here are the things that I've done to try to fix this problem, hopefully some of you guys who are more experienced than I (just about everybody) will be able give me some input:
    - I've checked that the wheels are able to turn freely and easily from side to side without the servo being hooked up to them. No problems there.
    - I've tried using a HiTec 82mg and 85mg servos, both did not operate properly from the get go without even being hooked up to the servo arm. For the 82 the servo gears would just spin back and forth as if there was no center, and for the 85 the gears would turn fine but then crank on itself every now and then. Although, I think this is due to them being analog servos and me having a 2.4 ghz setup (can any one confirm that these would not work together because of this reason?)
    - I've tried limiting the turning radius to the left so it won't allow it to go full left therefore preventing that buzzing sound, but still every now and then it will make that sound when its centered and I can hear a few gears turning on their own.

Anyway, sorry for the long writeup, just wanted to make sure I got enough information out to you guys. I truly appreciate any and all help! Thanks so much!

RC Champion
    I hear the same problem when I turn it fully to one way or another, but I've never had problems yet (knock on wood).
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Competitor
    Thank you for your response! At the moment, it is only a slight buzzing sound, so thats why I'm posting here because I want to prevent losing a 3rd servo. But I did have a feeling this may just be a normal thing (knocks on wood for us both!).
    Happy Trails!

RC Champion
    If it is not a normal thing, get a metal geared servo so that the gears won't strip. That should fix the problem.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.

RC Qualifier
    well, what tires are you running? cause that just may be the problem. The servos will have to be backed up if the tires are bigger than stock. I run Proline Speed Paws and they need the extra or higher powered servo

Aloha
    John

RC poster
    Like Khanphelan asked. What tires are you running? I've been running my merv for a year now with the stock tires and servo. I'll eventually upgrade the servo but I'm going to wait till it dies.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys, good question and points, although I am only running stock tires.
    @ john, could you please explain what backing up a servo is, I plan to run proline dirt hawgs soon so I will probably need to do this. Aloha! Mahalo!

Here is an update, I've been running my merv a lot over the past three days and the servo is holding up well. Rarely if I listen closely I can hear the servo slowly moving a few gears while it's centered. No other problems to report, so I'm hoping the first two servos were flukes and it's not some kind of other mechanical problem that would be causing the car to eat servos like a fat kid on thanksgiving.
    Last edited by ElectricEvolution; 05-22-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Happy Trails!