Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rouleau, aka "Dog River", Saskatchewan, Canada

Monster Jam Tires + 3.2" Stablemaxx wheels = Awesome

So about a week or so ago I was doing VXL 3s speed runs on my street, yielding results between 45 & 50mph..(nothin to call Guinness about) using stock monster jam wheels/tires. From day one these wheels/tires were severely unbalanced, came glued unevenly to the rims and ballooned into 7-8" pizza cutters at anything above 30mph. I oversteered at nearly 50mph causing one rear to come up of the ground slightly and spin freely at wot with no load on it. This vibration (I'm assuming) caused my rim to shatter like glass and part ways with my pede, resulting in loss of all control of the truck and the automatic trigger of several spoken obscenities.

So after the untimely stop against the neighbors alloy truck rim, i replaced the entire front end of my pede and slapped on some trx wheels with anacondas. This is when i realized how much i missed the traction of the mj tires and the look of the 5.3" tall mj tires. Some guys like the look of the mj wheels, but im not a fan so i wanted to use the tires without having to use the "dual profile" (not sure of the benefits of 2 profiles on same rim) mj wheels.

I had some stablemaxx 3.2" rims that i had tried with 1/8 size tires, but barely used them because they put way too much strain on my steering components due to the 3"+ widths of most 1/8 scale tires, but i really liked the look of the rims. After removing the mj tires off of the rims, i test fitted the inside 3" diameter bead on the maxx rims and it was a real nice fit with very minimal stretching.

Thanks goes out to pavementsurfer for his write ups on cutting the beads off of tires for more wheel options. His information on this subject gave me the know how and confidence in tryin it for myself. I cut the outer bead only, to 3" diameter. From paves write up i learned that cutting the bead off can also result in having the wheel more exposed to damage due to the wheel pertruding out slightly more than the tire. My solution was to turn the tire around and use the inner side of the tire that still had the bead for the outside edge on the maxx rims. I used the foams that originally came with the mj tires and decided that i should tape the tires before gluing them on to help reduce the massive ballooning. I had read several write ups on taping tires but have never yielded very good results from my previous attempts with the duct tape or gorilla tape method, so i tried something a lil different which turned out to be the best solution that ive tried so far.

Im sure some of you have heard of, or have used carpet joint tape. (Not the steam activated stuff, but the peel n stick stuff). If not, it's two sided tape that is made of tightly woven nylon or fiberglass filament. It is nearly impossible to tear by hand, comes in several widths, is very thin as well as flexible, and is EXTREMELY ADHESIVE. Here's a pic of what it looks like:

I applied the tape to the tires while they were turned inside out, making sure to overlap the ends an eighth of an inch to eliminate any chance of a weak spot, then flipped the tires back to normal. I then removed the paper from the tape exposing the adhesive of the second side of the tape.

This is where i realized another benefit to this tape. I inserted the foams while being careful in getting them straight (only get one chance with this tape). The foams being stuck to the tape was a real bonus when putting the tire onto the wheel cuz the foam had no choice but to follow the tire onto the wheel and with just a few tucks with my finger, everything went together real smooth and easy.

I had previously prepped and cleaned the rim (thank you to Absoloot and Pave for their write ups with these tips) by sanding any seams or edges left from the moulding process and sanding all surfaces that were to be glued to the tire for best adhesion. I used IC-2000, rubber toughened, black tire glue with a 25-45 second working time to bond the tires to the rim and held in place by hand until glue set. Note: this glue is dyed black, is pretty thick and dries very fast so if used, be clean and careful. Oh ya...and very quick.

IMO, The overall look of the mj tires on the stablemaxx wheels is real tight, and allowed me to keep the traction I was used to, along with the width and diameter of the mj tires that i had previously enjoyed. With less sidewall due to the trimming and width of the stablemaxx wheels, resulted in a vast improvement in handling, less right to left sway and bounce when at high speeds and the low profile look of the tires that i prefer.

The Protrac 17mm wheel adapters i purchased fit perfectly and have very tight tolerances, allowing me to mount the stablemaxx's without having any unnecessary wheel wobble.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXZFT8&P=8

The performance turned out far better than I had anticipated. The two sided woven fibre carpet tape now allows for zero ballooning at driving speeds up to 45mph, and very minimal ballooning and almost no vibration when spinning freely on the truck with no load at 75% throttle on 3s geared at 33/86 using vxl system. Anything faster than this would require some balancing.

The overall ride of my pede is now very smooth and tracks dead straight. With the wheel-hop vibration eliminated, there is very minimal traction loss making the steering response very tight, and has improved acceleration quite a bit, allowing for very lengthy and straight high speed wheelies.

Finished product Installed on my Police Pursuit H2 Hummer Monster Jam Series VXL Stampede:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Never trust an "Atom", they make up everything.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Dude, you did an excellent job! I really Dig the tire/ wheel combo.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    I like it, nice work. Is that a stock body? My kid loves the Hummer body style.

Can you point me to any threads about glueing wheels, balancing, etc? I bought my kids two XL-5s for Christmas and I just got a VXL. By far the thing that has caused me the most frustration is tires coming unglued, trying to reglue them having them not be balanced and trying to remove a tire from a broken rim.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Great work. Love the combo.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I like it, nice work. Is that a stock body? My kid loves the Hummer body style.

Can you point me to any threads about glueing wheels, balancing, etc? I bought my kids two XL-5s for Christmas and I just got a VXL. By far the thing that has caused me the most frustration is tires coming unglued, trying to reglue them having them not be balanced and trying to remove a tire from a broken rim.
    My hummer body is a toy grade hard body that i pilfered off of one of my kids old 1/10 scale road rippers toys. You can get lexan hummer bodies for the stampede from proline.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXESJ0&P=8

As for gluing tires, its relatively simple and will hold very strong as long as you take your time and do it right the first time. If you decide to tape tires to eliminate ballooning, use the directions posted above or your own method, and be sure to do this first so the oily fingerprints can be cleaned off just before gluing. Also install foams if you want to use them. First make sure to use 100-180 grit sandpaper to rough up all surfaces on the rim that are to be glued, and also remove any imperfections in the plastic left from the moulding process such as seams and also to remove overspray or chrome plating. Just remember that glue will not adhere very well if at all to a smooth surface. Another thing i do is to rough up the rubber on the bead of the tire with the sandpaper or a wire brush/wheel. Remember patching an inner tube on a bike? Same deal. Then after all surfaces are roughed up, you need to clean them. Use 99.9% rubbing alcohol or pure acetone from a paint store. Careful with acetone as it has the capability of melting the plastic a lil which is good for glue adhesion of the glue, but bad for the chrome or painted finish of the rim. Alcohol will work good and is easier to obtain and doesn't smell so rank. Also both of these chemicals have very harmful fumes so ventilate the room while using them. Heres a common mistake that I've made before: DO NOT USE AMMONIA BASED CLEANERS. ammonia will counteract the glues adhesion making it useless in holding anything. Now that the surfaces are roughed up and cleaned, put everything together and glue one bead at a time by peeling back the tire and holding away from gluing area until you have applied the glue. I use quick dry glue but there are glues with all ranges of working time and if you're new to gluing tires then get some glue with a longer working time. Also make sure you dont miss any sections of the bead seating surface of the rim or you will have a weak spot. The strongest hold will come from an application that is one continuous bead of glue covering the circumference of the rim. Or you can use a thinner glue that will run easily, allowing you to just turn the rim and let the glue run down and around the seating surface of the rim. Do not attempt to glue the other side of the tire until the first side is full cured or you'll break the bond unless you have glue with a very long working time. I do the one side of all four tires first, then let them cure and then do all other sides. When you've applied the glue and seated the bead properly you have to be sure to keep applied pressure on the glued surfaces and this can be done with tire bands, strong elastics or electrical tape. This is why i use quick dry glue, cuz i just hold them by hand for few mins until cured. The main reasons re-gluing small areas on tires that have been glued once previously don't hold is due to the lack of prepping. If you get em right the first time you rarely have to do them again. If you need to just re-glue a small area then try to do as much of the prepping as you can and make sure it is cleaned properly. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Truck looks so slick like this. Great job bro!! I know I would not want to be chased by this police vehicle. lol. Thats for sure. That body still looks real good to. Love the rear view mirrors.

Thanx Loot! I'm real pleased with the way its tuirning out so far. The new wheels and mj tires combo is holding up to everything i can throw at it. The body has taken some serious beating and has held up well. It looks way cooler when the cherries are flashing with the headlights n taillights on in the pitch black goin 50mph. Draws a lot of attention. thank goodness for 2.4ghz transmitters, cuz in the following pics ull see i had the old am hooked up, and with the lights on it would twitch and lose a lot of range. the flysky gt3b works flawlessly with the lights, i just hope the new telemetry remote works just as well! Im currently trying to wire up a working siren to be controlled remotely, but its a lot of wiring under that body already, so im working on some flat ribbon wiring to cut down on the spiders web thats developing. lol. I wanted to go with a police light bar on top but with all the jumping and high speeds crashing i do, i dont know that it would last very long before getting torn off. lol

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 05-21-2011 at 02:44 PM.

RC Champion
    That is one GREAT looking Pede.Nice job on the light work

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    That is one GREAT looking Pede.Nice job on the light work
    Thanx, much appreciated. Even the cops in town love my pede, they turn on their cherries and burp the siren every time they pass by it. Its funny cuz after i passed their car they stopped and told me that my pede should get a ticket for goin that fast in a residential area! Lol. It was my 4 year old sons idea for the police theme, cuz he loves everything about them. If not for his idea, i dont think i woulda taken that route. I didnt really have a healthy relationship with the authorities when i was younger. Hahaha!

RC Champion
    Please tell me the red-n-blues strobe? that wheel/tire setup is growing on me. maybe if my chevrons sell
    Everything overpowered...

Those lights look soooo SICK!!! wow what u good job u did, Gotta post up some pics of the new tires/wheels, and with the lights lit up... Your truck looks amazing bro.

Oo.. what do u have it named on the FS-GT2B? Cop! boo yaa.

Very nice job on those wheels and tires!!! Love the lower profile!
    Emaxx- truggy/CD conversion...

Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Please tell me the red-n-blues strobe? that wheel/tire setup is growing on me. maybe if my chevrons sell
    For sure man, the lights are 2 stage red/blue bi-color leds so they change red n blue automatically and they are super bright. They hook up to power just like a single led, but flash 2 different colors. Ill get a video up of them soon.
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 05-21-2011 at 09:24 PM.

RC Champion
    Ill get a video up of them soon
    That would would be nice to see them while they are working

Quote Originally Posted by nitrostarter View Post
    Very nice job on those wheels and tires!!! Love the lower profile!
    Thanx man. Yeah the low profile is my favorite part next to the handling of this setup. They dont bounce around anymore like they did on the original mj rims and the wheelies are now infinite and limited only by the length of the road. No more "penguin waddle" when doing wheelies so i on a smooth surface i can hit 45mph while doin a wheelie. At first i was just going for traction and looks, but this setup has totally surpassed my expectations.

Heres a lil vid of the lights workin. As much as id like to go outside, its pouring rain out and although my truck is waterproof, my transmitter and camera arent. But at least youll get to see the lights workin.

heres a link to it cuz this forum doesnt embed via imageshack, or i dont know how to. lol

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/6362/file30795.mp4
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 05-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.

RC Competitor
    How did you get the lights to flicker like that? did you do it yourself or is it one of those sets from rc lighthouse?

Super cool dude. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho135 View Post
    How did you get the lights to flicker like that? did you do it yourself or is it one of those sets from rc lighthouse?
    the leds that change from red to blue are called bi-color leds. they are the easiest way to get multiple colors without having to do a bunch of chipboard or wiring work. They can be bought at most electronics places like radioshack, and they hook up just like any led. the advantage to these is not only can you get them in a variety of colors like red/blue, green/yellow, green/red and other, but the best part to them is that you dont need to calculate resistor size and wire resistors inline with them unless you are running other types of leds like i did. So if you wanted to run just four of these bi-color leds that were all the same color, all you have to do is hook them up to the receiver channel cuz they have resistors built in internally. i cant remember what the voltage range is, so dont quote me on this, but it something like 3.6 volt up to 8 or 9 volt. well within range of the receiver channel. all these lights run off of a spare channel on my receiver and are all hooked up parallel, pos to pos neg to neg. they cost like 5 or 6 bucks each but that is minimal compared to what it would cost to make a bicolor chip with 2 leds on it, plus then youd have to install 2 leds.

I run a system called the gem 2000 electronic monitoring system and it has the outputs for the lights and cost me nearly 90 bucks, but you dont need this system to run lights on ur truck. You can get just the bi-color lights with internal resistorsand hook em straight up to the receiver channel and you got flashing lights.

its quite a few more calculations if you want to do a setup like mine because i am running multiple types of leds with multiple rated input voltages. But luckily theres an app for that! actually there is several free and paid apps i use on my ipad, iphone and ipod touch that takes any guess work out of the resistor and voltage calculations as well as giving rated voltages for different colors of leds.

RC Competitor
    Wow clearly I did not go to the same college you did, cause I learned Kegstands and you learned a whole lot more.

Either way thats a sweet looking pede. The lights look fantastic. Well done.

Thanks for the props on my truck man. I wish i could say that i went to college, but that is not the case! Lol. I am well versed in the art of wobbly pops, trust me. Its all self taught. Ive had a love for electronics ever since i was a lil guy. My philosophy is if all else fails, google it! There is an answer for everything, its just a matter of finding it.
    Last edited by BaldyDaniels; 05-22-2011 at 05:50 PM.

RC Champion
    Nice work Baldy. all you need is a small siern.

Quote Originally Posted by snowfighter View Post
    Nice work Baldy. all you need is a small siern.
    Thanks. Im working on finding a small siren that i can control remotely, but i cant seem to find a manual type one that just needs power to run, like on a car alarm but smaller. Ive found some that are small, but sound nothing like a cop car. I guess ill have to just make one.

RC Racer
    Nice Pede! I love the look of the wheel and tire combo. How do the MJ tires hook up in grass and dirt?
    ERBE, Pede VXL, Rusty VXL

RC Competitor
    If you cant find a siren small enough ill bet yanking the sound chip from a toy cop car would work. Small speaker, only question is how to trip ans untrip the circuit those are usually based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstmonsters View Post
    Nice Pede! I love the look of the wheel and tire combo. How do the MJ tires hook up in grass and dirt?
    Thanx. They hook up really well in grass and loose dirt. Actually too well in grass cuz i cant keep the nose down at all. On a packed dirt surface they slide around a lil bit but will still allow me to pull wheelies very easily. On loose dirt they are real nice, they throw up big roosters when i gun it and it accelerates really nice and fast. They are a fairly soft compound tire and used to suffer from massive ballooning which compromised the traction, but since ive solved that problem, theyve become excellent on every surface i drive my truck on. My favorite surface is the crushed rock at the playground where my son likes to play. Theres something really cool about throwing up rocks and skipping across the top of all the depressions from footprints in the crushed rock. It accelerates wicked fast and its awesome to watch how the suspension soaks up all the deformations of the surface no matter how fast im going. These trucks sure have come a long way, and it amazes me every day, the amount of punishment they take.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho135 View Post
    If you cant find a siren small enough ill bet yanking the sound chip from a toy cop car would work. Small speaker, only question is how to trip ans untrip the circuit those are usually based on.
    I thought about doing this as well, but its hard to keep that kind of thing waterproof, especially the speaker, cuz i tend to hit a few puddles here and there. A siren like the ones for car alarms can get be completely doused with water and still function as long as they are pointed towards the ground so the water can run out. Plus i would really like it to be loud, really loud, so it will scare the pants off anyone i roll up behind. Lol

RC Competitor
    Evil.......I like it

Got some positive feedback about good results with my tire taping method. Thanks goes to varunaX for proving results using my method, and posting a video of the results.

Check it out at this thread link:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...11#post4816811

RC Qualifier
    Dude how did you upload those pics,,,, badass

Quote Originally Posted by 911dott View Post
    Dude how did you upload those pics,,,, badass
    Thanks, I use imageshack.com its a free media hosting site where you just upload the pics from ur computer, then when you got to ur account on the site you can click on the picture details and it gives you forum codes that can be just cut and pasted into the messages you post and thats it. I dont even have to use the forum posting options here, just cut and paste from mediashack. Its super easy.

RC Champion
    Dude, you have one sweet looking pede Very nice work.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Dude, you have one sweet looking pede Very nice work.
    Thanks man. The Po-Po-Pede is my favorite look so far, it started as a grave digger and my second favorite look for it is the bel air with spinners.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/221/file7576.mp4/

Another confirmation of positive results using my method to help keep tire ballooning at bay.

Thanks to maus for posting his results using my method.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4841268

RC Qualifier
    Baldy -

What brand of carpet tape did you use? Duck brand carpet tape looks similar to yours. The stuff I found in Home Depot doesn't look like yours and its fiber direction makes me think it wouldn't hold.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deanwrx View Post
    Baldy -

What brand of carpet tape did you use? Duck brand carpet tape looks similar to yours. The stuff I found in Home Depot doesn't look like yours and its fiber direction makes me think it wouldn't hold.

Thanks
    The tape I used was made by 3m, but others have used different brands. As long as the fibers are woven in a criss cross pattern with filaments running horizontally and vertically and the tape is really sticky. It'll look like the stuff I have in the picture i posted earlier in this thread. The reason I use carpet tape is because it is resistant to moisture, it's super strong and has some crazy adhesive.

I actually took apart the wheels/tires I originally used when I posted this thread cuz the tires had nearly zero tread left and after about 7 months of abuse, the tape was still holding.

RC Qualifier
    Hey, thanks for the info and pics. The pics are certainly reassuring.
    The Duck brand looks identical to yours and its also for indoor/outdoor use. The one I saw at Home Depot was made by Roberts and most of the fibers run vertically with only a few threads running horizontally - not good.

Thanks again - Dean

Quote Originally Posted by deanwrx View Post
    Hey, thanks for the info and pics. The pics are certainly reassuring.
    The Duck brand looks identical to yours and its also for indoor/outdoor use. The one I saw at Home Depot was made by Roberts and most of the fibers run vertically with only a few threads running horizontally - not good.

Thanks again - Dean
    Yep, indoor/outdoor is the best stuff to get cuz it's the stickiest and the most resistant to moisture.

RC Qualifier
    Sounds good. How are you liking the IC-2000 glue? I like the black color and being rubber toughened, it looks like it may not crack like standard CA glue.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyDaniels View Post
    Yep, indoor/outdoor is the best stuff to get cuz it's the stickiest and the most resistant to moisture.

It is very good tire glue, and I've never had any of my tires come off the rim. But, it is very thick, which I like because it stays where I put it, and because it is black glue, extra care is needed when using chrome or anything other than a black wheel cuz it don't come off once it's dry, not even with acetone or any other chemical. Not sure if you can see in the pic I posted above, but the tires had to be ripped from the wheel to get them off. I tried boiling the other 2 tires off to no avail. So as long as you never plan on using the wheels or tires for anything else, then yep, it's great glue.

I will say that I have used two other brands of tire glue, and have also never had a tire come off the wheel with those one either. They are however, easier to boil off to remove the tire. It's all in the preparation of the wheel and tire before gluing. Even plain ol krazy glue will hold strong if the wheel and tire has been properly prepped.

Sent from Dan's iPad using Tapatalk