So about a week or so ago I was doing VXL 3s speed runs on my street, yielding results between 45 & 50mph..(nothin to call Guinness about) using stock monster jam wheels/tires. From day one these wheels/tires were severely unbalanced, came glued unevenly to the rims and ballooned into 7-8" pizza cutters at anything above 30mph. I oversteered at nearly 50mph causing one rear to come up of the ground slightly and spin freely at wot with no load on it. This vibration (I'm assuming) caused my rim to shatter like glass and part ways with my pede, resulting in loss of all control of the truck and the automatic trigger of several spoken obscenities.
So after the untimely stop against the neighbors alloy truck rim, i replaced the entire front end of my pede and slapped on some trx wheels with anacondas. This is when i realized how much i missed the traction of the mj tires and the look of the 5.3" tall mj tires. Some guys like the look of the mj wheels, but im not a fan so i wanted to use the tires without having to use the "dual profile" (not sure of the benefits of 2 profiles on same rim) mj wheels.
I had some stablemaxx 3.2" rims that i had tried with 1/8 size tires, but barely used them because they put way too much strain on my steering components due to the 3"+ widths of most 1/8 scale tires, but i really liked the look of the rims. After removing the mj tires off of the rims, i test fitted the inside 3" diameter bead on the maxx rims and it was a real nice fit with very minimal stretching.
Thanks goes out to pavementsurfer for his write ups on cutting the beads off of tires for more wheel options. His information on this subject gave me the know how and confidence in tryin it for myself. I cut the outer bead only, to 3" diameter. From paves write up i learned that cutting the bead off can also result in having the wheel more exposed to damage due to the wheel pertruding out slightly more than the tire. My solution was to turn the tire around and use the inner side of the tire that still had the bead for the outside edge on the maxx rims. I used the foams that originally came with the mj tires and decided that i should tape the tires before gluing them on to help reduce the massive ballooning. I had read several write ups on taping tires but have never yielded very good results from my previous attempts with the duct tape or gorilla tape method, so i tried something a lil different which turned out to be the best solution that ive tried so far.
Im sure some of you have heard of, or have used carpet joint tape. (Not the steam activated stuff, but the peel n stick stuff). If not, it's two sided tape that is made of tightly woven nylon or fiberglass filament. It is nearly impossible to tear by hand, comes in several widths, is very thin as well as flexible, and is EXTREMELY ADHESIVE. Here's a pic of what it looks like:
I applied the tape to the tires while they were turned inside out, making sure to overlap the ends an eighth of an inch to eliminate any chance of a weak spot, then flipped the tires back to normal. I then removed the paper from the tape exposing the adhesive of the second side of the tape.
This is where i realized another benefit to this tape. I inserted the foams while being careful in getting them straight (only get one chance with this tape). The foams being stuck to the tape was a real bonus when putting the tire onto the wheel cuz the foam had no choice but to follow the tire onto the wheel and with just a few tucks with my finger, everything went together real smooth and easy.
I had previously prepped and cleaned the rim (thank you to Absoloot and Pave for their write ups with these tips) by sanding any seams or edges left from the moulding process and sanding all surfaces that were to be glued to the tire for best adhesion. I used IC-2000, rubber toughened, black tire glue with a 25-45 second working time to bond the tires to the rim and held in place by hand until glue set. Note: this glue is dyed black, is pretty thick and dries very fast so if used, be clean and careful. Oh ya...and very quick.
IMO, The overall look of the mj tires on the stablemaxx wheels is real tight, and allowed me to keep the traction I was used to, along with the width and diameter of the mj tires that i had previously enjoyed. With less sidewall due to the trimming and width of the stablemaxx wheels, resulted in a vast improvement in handling, less right to left sway and bounce when at high speeds and the low profile look of the tires that i prefer.
The Protrac 17mm wheel adapters i purchased fit perfectly and have very tight tolerances, allowing me to mount the stablemaxx's without having any unnecessary wheel wobble.
The performance turned out far better than I had anticipated. The two sided woven fibre carpet tape now allows for zero ballooning at driving speeds up to 45mph, and very minimal ballooning and almost no vibration when spinning freely on the truck with no load at 75% throttle on 3s geared at 33/86 using vxl system. Anything faster than this would require some balancing.
The overall ride of my pede is now very smooth and tracks dead straight. With the wheel-hop vibration eliminated, there is very minimal traction loss making the steering response very tight, and has improved acceleration quite a bit, allowing for very lengthy and straight high speed wheelies.
Finished product Installed on my Police Pursuit H2 Hummer Monster Jam Series VXL Stampede:
Uploaded with ImageShack.us