RC Enthusiast

Questions about painting a body?

I have a couple of questions about painting a rc body. First, if I am just going to paint it one color than will one can be enough for the hole body. Second, if I paint it outside than do I need to leave it outside to dry or can I paint it outside than bring it inside to dry? Third, should I cut the body post holes before or after I paint the body? How long will the paint take to dry. Feel free to put any other information that may be helpful for mensince this is my first body. Also, it is a body for a slash 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    One can will be enough u also need a pactra backing black u spray it on after uv put done your color your painting ur body mark you holes before on the out side with a sharpy because it has a clear film rap on it so ull be fine u can use a hair dryer to dry it fast it works well but still let it cure over night or a day do. A very light coat first and hair dry it so when u put the second coat on the pait has sumtin to stick too.
    Yes Castle Creations is in KANSAS

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kansas-slash2009 View Post
    One can will be enough u also need a pactra backing black u spray it on after uv put done your color your painting ur body mark you holes before on the out side with a sharpy because it has a clear film rap on it so ull be fine u can use a hair dryer to dry it fast it works well but still let it cure over night or a day do. A very light coat first and hair dry it so when u put the second coat on the pait has sumtin to stick too.
    What will happen if I do not use the backing

RC Competitor
    The backing is mostly used for making whatever color you used pop. Also, depending on the color, some of them end up translucent and the backing will eliminate this. If you use a dark color, I don't find it necessary. But yes, one can should do the trick, although, like I said, if you use a lighter color, even after the max amount of coats a can will allow, the final product may be somewhat translucent.

You can let it dry inside, just realize it is going to stink for while. I'd personally cut out everything and fit it before painting. I've done it both ways and found cutting it out first is much easier overall.

As mentioned, use very light coats to avoid runs and let the coats dry about 15 minutes between, or use a hair dryer. The stuff should be cured over night. I raced mine within 3 hours of painting it and didn't have any chipping problems.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlotzky View Post
    The backing is mostly used for making whatever color you used pop. Also, depending on the color, some of them end up translucent and the backing will eliminate this. If you use a dark color, I don't find it necessary. But yes, one can should do the trick, although, like I said, if you use a lighter color, even after the max amount of coats a can will allow, the final product may be somewhat translucent.

You can let it dry inside, just realize it is going to stink for while. I'd personally cut out everything and fit it before painting. I've done it both ways and found cutting it out first is much easier overall.

As mentioned, use very light coats to avoid runs and let the coats dry about 15 minutes between, or use a hair dryer. The stuff should be cured over night. I raced mine within 3 hours of painting it and didn't have any chipping problems.
    will pearl white be translucent

RC Qualifier
    Any backing will make it stand out plus it just an extra coat to protect the paint to from rubbing and etc
    Yes Castle Creations is in KANSAS

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl8320 View Post
    Depends on the brand and whatnot, but I suspect yes.

RC poster
    Also don't forget that the body must be clean before you paint it for best results.This means that whether you fit and trim first or not you should go to the sink and clean the shell with a mild dish-washing detergent inside and out(well maybe not so much outside) to remove any oils or release agent residue left on the body from the molding process.Then blow it off with an air blower(if you have a compressor)or towel dry,make sure it's dry before starting and you should be good to go.
    The lesser of two evils is still evil.

RC Competitor
    Check out the U Tube videos, makes it easy.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl8320 View Post
    Yes, I use it on all my bodies. I use this as the first light coat. It gives it that sparkle in the sun and makes it stand out that much more. Now if you want pearl white as the color use 2 light coats using a hair dryer between each coat then use white for the final 1 or 2. I usually do 3-4 coats depending on colors/designs. Clean the body with soap and warm water and dry it real good. Light even coats is the key for a long lasting body.
    X3-RC8T/X2 ERBE/Losi SCTE/SC10 4x4/Baja 5SC/Rusty