RC poster

What am I going to need out of the box?

I'm heading to my local hobby shop today to pick up the Stampede 4x4 vxl. I'm new to rc and need suggestions as to what i should get as far as upgrade parts for the truck right out of the box that will make the experience better for my dad and I. Any suggestions?

RC Racer
    Get replacement RPM A-Arms. Get them in the front at least. Otherwise you're going to snap a stock A-Arm the first time you run into anything half hard.

Other than that I would look into replacement of the stock stub axle/half shaft assemblies.

You can see how those holes were becoming ovals, and wouldn't have lasted much longer before snapping completely.

This is a much bigger deal if you tighten your slipper clutch, but tightening your slipper is something you will likely have to do if you want to do wheelies, etc.

Other parts you might look into are RPM shock towers (though the stock towers are pretty good), RPM rear bearing carriers, aluminum front C-Hubs and Bearing carriers.

Another thing you should look at is a heatsink for the motor. The motor is stressed pretty much to it's limit in a 4x4 truck like the Stampede. It's going to run HOT even with stock gearing, and you should be sure to take a break when that happens. Getting a heatsink for the motor will maybe give you a few more minutes between breaks, but the ultimate solution to stop it from overheating is to get a new motor. The stock motor just isn't that great for this truck.

RC Champion
    Another good upgrade is the King Headz motor mount with the traxxas aluminum bearing adapter ( replaces the plastic part on the slipper clutch ). As for the motor upgrade about the best upgrade for this truck and pretty fairly priced is the SCT 3800 by Castle Creations.

Eventually you will want to get yourself a Lipo. With 2's you wont see a speed increase, you will see more "punch" and more consistent power through the whole pack. Get yourself a 3's eventually and you will just go "WOW" lol, major speed increase and this is when you will probably start breaking stuff.

And most important man, have fun and congrats on the new truck you are going to love it.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC poster
    My stampede comes tomorrow. Should I fully charge the battery before the first run? Or can I run it out of the box with whatever charge it has? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ylomnstr View Post
    My stampede comes tomorrow. Should I fully charge the battery before the first run? Or can I run it out of the box with whatever charge it has? Thanks.
    There isn't a lot of juice in the battery when you get it so I would charge it.

To the OP, I would not buy anything yet. Technically, you don't *need* anything out of the box and being new I would suggest you learn about the hobby a little more than spending money right away.

Running stock you shouldnt have major breakage unless you are REAL hard with the truck. I got my truck in FEB and have yet to break a control arm. I've done some abusive jumps that should have broken a arm or two. I an of the opinion that rpm arms are not needed on this truck as the stock ones are pretty tough to begin with. Just my 6 7/8th cents.
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2000kv
    -Slash 4x4 MT 2100kv

RC Qualifier
    loosen the slipper to make your drive shafts last more than 10 runs

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter444 View Post
    I'm heading to my local hobby shop today to pick up the Stampede 4x4 vxl. I'm new to rc and need suggestions as to what i should get as far as upgrade parts for the truck right out of the box that will make the experience better for my dad and I. Any suggestions?
    BATTERY, BATTERY, BATTERY, then quick charger

Ya cant Wear or Break parts when waiting to charge a battery

The most frustrating thing is waiting far a single batt to charge, 8hrs for included one. I'd recommend 2 batts, nimh , mah (capacity) dont really matter but you do need spares.

A quick charger charges in 50-100min, this means more time running than waiting.
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by akesj1 View Post
    BATTERY, BATTERY, BATTERY, then quick charger

Ya cant Wear or Break parts when waiting to charge a battery

The most frustrating thing is waiting far a single batt to charge, 8hrs for included one. I'd recommend 2 batts, nimh , mah (capacity) dont really matter but you do need spares.

A quick charger charges in 50-100min, this means more time running than waiting.
    Could you please link to a good battery and charger ?
    Also you wrote nimh... Would you recommend that over LiPo ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by dalle; 05-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.

RC Racer
    i'd go with lipo if you haven't bought another charger already. they're no more difficult to use and charge than nimhs. just do a little research on charging lipos and you'll be good. a decent little beginning lipo/life/nimh charger/balancer is the thunder ac6. i use this charger and it does a good job charging. if you got a little more money and are willing i'd get a better charger. as for lipo batteries, most people recommend spc racing batteries. http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=112 http://spcracing.com/index.php?productID=59
    i've been using these and have been happy with them.: ***** ********* 5200mAh 2S2P 30C hardcase pack (USA Warehouse). you'll have to do a search for these as traxxas won't let you link to their site. other good batteries are venom lipos(not nimhs) and my friend really likes gens ace batteries.

RC Champion
    Yes as Lordsilas said, if you go Lipo pick up the Thunder AC6 charger that's what I got and it works pretty good ( good price ), easy to use, and I charge 5000mah fairly quickly, haven't timed it and I am in no hurry since I have 7 lipos on the go and have never had to "wait" on a battery to charge so I can go out and play. I would say probably 35minutes for a battery. If you are going to charge more than 1 at a time, meaning back to back. I do recommend giving the charger a little break inbetween charges, it heats up pretty good. I don't know if thats normal and haven't been told to do so, but that's just my common sense kind of kicking in and saying " ya maybe I should let this cool down until I charge another one, as it gets a little warm after charging a full pack at 4a.

The SPC packs, a lot of guys use here and speak highly about them, still waiting on my pack to come. Check out the Promatch Racing packs as well, I just got 2 in the mail the other day and I am extremely happy with their performance, awesome punch, consistent through out the whole pack, and good run times, and they have great service. They are a little more expensive than the SPC packs though.
    1/10 Rally x2/P4de/P2de/Rustler/Sl4sh MT

RC poster
    Hmm, i am from sweden and all the shops here seem to have imax chargers only. Know anything about those?

RC Champion
    This imax charger works as good as the Thunder AC6 , I have both. Does NIMH and up to 6s, balance plug built in, just need to solder a traxxas plug.

Best bang for buck is ******* 5000mah, 40c, 2s2p, hardcase. CANT link the China manufacture or will get warning. Search it

Al
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC poster
    Is the SkyCharger and Imax chargers the same hardware, just branded differently ?

I also found Orion IQ605. Same as imax and sky charger ?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-17-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Hey y'all thanks for all of the advice! I bought my truck this past saturday along with an extra batt. and quick charger. i am very impressed with this truck out of the box! its incredible. I have had some unintentional hard hits and this truck takes a lickin and keeps on tickin! i did loosen the slipper clutch out of the box but i am still seeing the half shafts begin to oval out. so far the only real problem i am having is my servo sounds whack! almost sounds like it has a short inside as i keep hearing whats sounds like a static electric noise. wondering if i should replace the servo. any ideas?

RC Enthusiast
    so far the only real problem i am having is my servo sounds whack! almost sounds like it has a short inside as i keep hearing whats sounds like a static electric noise. wondering if i should replace the servo. any ideas?
    When you are running the truck or sitting still? Have you adjusted the steering trim yet?
    Stampede Max Destruction & Stampede 4X4 X2!

RC Racer
    The noise you are hearing is normal. You'll notice that the Servo is on and working from the moment the truck is turned on regardless of input from the controller. If your wheels are turned to the side when you turn the truck on, you will notice the servo straighten up the tires automatically.

That is to say, when your tires aren't turned, that doesn't mean the servo isn't working. It's working, and keeping those tires straight. That is the noise you are hearing.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice guys! Hate to sound annoying but this is the only place i can ask people who know what they're talking about so... Anyone ever have problems with the steering linkage hitting the driveshaft?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Anyone ever have problems with the steering linkage hitting the driveshaft?
    Oh yea, both the Slash 4x4 and Stampede 4x4 do this. It doesn't really affect your performance, so I decided to just let it happen.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)