RC Qualifier

stripped sput gear?

hey guys, was just out using my merv, and it was working fine, then started makin this noise like something was "gringing" in it, and wouldnt barely move, so i stopped it right away. took off the gear cover, and the sput gear i think its called is stripped. its not the pinion on the motor, but the one that comes off the clutch that the pinion comes in contact with. just wondering if something got caught in there if it would do this, or just the motor not meshing up right with the gear. and by the looks of it, its plastic, thats kinda dumb aint it? id imagine you can get steel gears cant you?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Steel gears are available, but the plastic ones are cheap and easy to replace. Once the steel gear is installed, something else is the weak link... probably something more expensive.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    yeah, i suppose, thats a good point lol. maybe ill just pick up some extra when i get a new one, plastic seems to be the way to go. thanks

RC Racer
    Also your motor may have been bumped out of alignment and just couldn't mesh right and just took the teeth off the spur gear.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DomAlucard View Post
    Also your motor may have been bumped out of alignment and just couldn't mesh right and just took the teeth off the spur gear.
    This same thing happened to my 1/10 ERBE right out of the box. I noticed that I meshed the gears wrong and it totally cleaned off all the teeth on the spur gear (the big plastic one). I correctly re-meshed the new spur I bought from my LHS and haven't had a problem since. I usually take a small piece of printer paper and run it through the gears to make sure the spacing is nearly perfect. Works for me every time.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWingNoPrayer View Post
    This same thing happened to my 1/10 ERBE right out of the box. I noticed that I meshed the gears wrong and it totally cleaned off all the teeth on the spur gear (the big plastic one). I correctly re-meshed the new spur I bought from my LHS and haven't had a problem since. I usually take a small piece of printer paper and run it through the gears to make sure the spacing is nearly perfect. Works for me every time.
    Well thats how your supposed to do it if you read the manual.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Qualifier
    i recently took my motor off so i could put some calking around the inside of the receiver box to make sure no more water gets in, i had alot of trouble with water getting in there! when i installed the motor, i just pushed the gears all the way together and then pulled it back a little, lol, didnt realize there was a certain way to do it, and obviously i did it wrong! lol thanks guys, ill try it the RIGHT way when i get a new spur gear! next tiem to the shop gotta get a heatsink, spur gear plus extras (for when i stip the next one) and maybe a new body, mines taked a few hits! any other suggestions guys?

RC Racer
    Too tight and you'll put a lot of strain on the gears and motor, thus losing power and too loose and you'll just see what you already seen. It'll strip the spur gear. If done right they should almost never strip or wear out. I've had my merv for about 8 months or so and haven't had to replace a single gear yet.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Qualifier
    so then theres not point in buying extra spur gears, good enough then. I was thinking of installing a second steering servo, but my lhs told me theres no need for it... they said it is just twice as much to replace if it breaks, but i dont really do many speed runs, just crawling around mostly, is it worth it to get a second one? or are they right, because i would like to have more turning torque, and i know a second servo would give twice as much, are they hard to install? or just as simple as connecting the other servo to the existing "arms" thing...?

RC Racer
    I would say the second servo is worth it, especially if your using your car for crawling. And it's only twice as much to replace if you break both of them instead of just one. I run 2 servos and I do speed and jumps mostly but I still notice the different.
    Merv soon to be a mako
    1/8 E revo

RC Champion
    If you want the waterproof feature of your 1/16 model, it's a nice advantage to getting a second stock servo. If you want lots more torque and faster turning power, I would still suggest upgrading to a Ko-Propo or ******* servo if you don't run in water.
    Just accelerate, and only good will come.