RC poster

New to RC - Need help deciding

Hey guys, I'm new to the site here. Looks like a great resource for info. I'm new to the RC world. I've always wanted to get into it, and I guess now is the time. I've been doing some research and at first, I was looking at going nitro, but it seems electric may be the way to go for me considering the less maintenance. I'm trying to decide between the Stampede 4x4 VXL and the E-MAXX Brushless. What exactly is the difference? I don't plan on doing any racing. Just running around my yard. Mostly on grassy hills, with occasional asphalt. I see the E-maxx comes with 2 batteries. Does that mean it's faster out of the box and will last longer on runs? I want something durable. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RC Enthusiast
    Size is one major difference. Not my rigs but just something to help you get the idea. The Stampede is in the middle.

RC poster
    Thanks man. That does help as I was trying to find the size difference. The bigger E-Maxx would be cool, but I'm just trying to figure out which one would be best for me. Bigger I assume would mean being able to handle more obstacles. I do want something thats easy to get started with, but that also has options to upgrade if I really get into it. The E-Maxx was rated level 2, and the pede was rated 1 on Traaxas site. So does the E take more maintenance or is it just more upgradeable? Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    They are both equally as upgradeable. You can pretty much build complete trucks with aftermarket parts. Heres a few things to consider:
    The Emaxx is more expensive to buy (by about $250), requires 2 batteries and is more expensive to fix. While it IS more capable due to its size, for where you described you run... the pede would work just fine.
    The Emaxx has a Mamba Max Monster power system Its HUGELY powerful which is sweet and it can run this truck with little heat issues. But again, it requires 2 batteries.... which is going to be more expensive to buy when you want more/better batteries and it will take longer to charge them all.

The Stampede is cheaper to buy, only needs one battery, cheaper to fix and ALMOST as capable. But, its VXL power system is really maxed out in this application. It does struggle with some heat issues and the truck REALLY benefiits from a power system upgrade right out of the box. THe good thing is that you can sell the stock VXL system and get something like a castle Sidewinder SCT and actually have a few dollors left in your pocket. But it does require some extra effort. On the other hand, when it comes time to upgrade your batteries or move to lipo you one need ONE battery. Which is cheaper to buy and takes (obviously) half the time to charge as the 2 batteries youd need for the Emaxx...

By the time you buy an Emaxx, a charger and a couple extra batteries it would be very realistic to plan on spending $800 or so. A pede with an upgraded charger, a couple good lipos and a new power system for about $500 (after selling the stock VXL system for around $100)

So, at the end of the day it comes down the same old question... how much do YOU want to spend. Youll love both trucks... guaranteed.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC poster
    Thanks. I don't want to spend the money for the E-maxx brushless. It's just too much. Both the pede 4x4 vxl and the e-maxx 4x4 seem to be right around $400, which is why i'm torn on the decision. It does seem like it would cost more to upgrade the e-maxx due to the dual batteries. But I also like the larger size. Decisions decisions........

RC Champion
    The E-Maxx, aside from being Much bigger, is way more complex in its design. it has a lot more parts and will take much longer to take apart to do repairs. Because its much bigger it needs a bigger motor and 2 batteries to run it. Both will be a blast to drive and both have their little known problems. Both are pretty tough trucks with just few upgrades. I took the Stampede 4x4 route based on initial price and the cost of parts and upgrades.. Bigger parts mean bigger prices. Just a set of tires and wheels will run you about 30-50% more for the emaxx verses the Stampede 4x4. Dont get me wrong, I would love to have the emaxx, but $$$ was tighter and I held back.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    i think the skill levels are kinda silly lol. ive had 20 some rc cars over the years and i deffently kept the stampede 2wd the longest. just got a 4wd and i have to say its my favorite of all time. but with the stampede 4wd your gunna need atleast 1 set of cvds after a bunch of runs. so the price is going to be more similar than you would think. the stampede is nibble and the emaxx not so much, the emaxx can run over more stuff. if your driving mostly on grass (especially tall grass) the emaxx hands down

RC poster
    Is the brushless engine on the stampede more reliable than the non brushless EVX-2 dual on the emaxx?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Reliability is subjective. If you over gear either, the motors will die. The VXL system gets worked pretty hard in a 4X4 pede. But the dual motor setup on the Emaxx seem to work pretty good and live pretty long. Now, at some point youll get tired of the brushed setup in your Emaxx and want to go brushless... A brushless setup for an emaxx woudl run you probably $250. An upgraded system in a pede would be $100-=$200 tops.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Racer
    A stock E-Maxx is going to break constantly within the first 5 minutes of running unless you drop $150+ on just about every RPM product they make for it. This is simply due to the fact that the thing is HEAVY. It's not only heavier than the smaller stampede, but it's even significantly heavier than the E-Revo, which is the same size. Heavier truck means harder landings and bigger crashes.

Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mymAAM-lbw

We had just got to the park, and on the very first jump my friend did with his E-Maxx took out the differential. Now to be fair, he landed pretty bad, but I do jumps 2 or even 3 times larger than that with the Stampede over and over and over again with zero damage, regardless of how I land. His E-Maxx breaking wasn't a one-time thing either. The very first time we drag raced each other we were pretty matched in speed and hit each other side-to-side. No damage to the stampede but he snapped a steering rod. The next time, he hit a rock and the E-Maxx cartwheeled, breaking an A-Arm. The next time it landed upside down and he snapped a shock tower. The thing is out of commission almost all the time.

Examples of Stampede durability (none of these crashes resulted in ANY damage)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tgdggp5mcE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh35eY9kh6I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cit13dSwyd0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltZBT9vB7V8

It also benefits greatly from an upgraded motor as others have said. The differentials, etc can easily handle the extra power, so a new motor is pretty much a drop-in upgrade. How about 50ft+ long wheelies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmMRiArNug
    (though I did break my stampede after that)

The E-Maxx isn't a terrible truck, just an ancient design. It's too heavy and requires too many replacement parts out of the box before it becomes half durable. On the other hand the Stampede 4x4 is a fairly new, very well thought out, and highly durable design made to handle today's high-powered brushless motors. If you really feel the urge to go for something bigger than a Stampede, i'd hold out for an E-Revo.
    Last edited by GotNoRice; 05-11-2011 at 11:38 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks! Great vids and yeah, that pede too a beating! I think that just made up my mind!

RC poster
    Question now is, where is the best/cheapest place to order online?

RC Racer
    Most seem to be fairly close in cost around $410 or so, I'd think it would come down to finding a place that doesn't charge tax to ship to your state and that charges reasonable shipping prices.

I personally got mine from Tower Hobbies, with free shipping and no tax for being sent to me here in California.

RC Enthusiast
    I just ordered the 4x4 from Tower Hobbies yesterday, its $410.00. Join their club for $10.00 (i was already a member). You get free shipping, which is normally about $27 for this kit. Then use their $50 off $300+ order coupon (016BY). You will end up with a 4x4 shipped for $360.00 with no tax or shipping ($370.00 with club cost). Plus right now they have a $10 gift card offer too. So that brings you back down to $360.00 after all is said and done.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trad29.html

I ordered yesterday. It is out for delivery right now. Basically free overnight shipping because San Jose is relatively close to their Reno warehouse.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
    I just ordered the 4x4 from Tower Hobbies yesterday, its $410.00. Join their club for $10.00 (i was already a member). You get free shipping, which is normally about $27 for this kit. Then use their $50 off $300+ order coupon (016BY). You will end up with a 4x4 shipped for $360.00 with no tax or shipping ($370.00 with club cost). Plus right now they have a $10 gift card offer too. So that brings you back down to $360.00 after all is said and done.

I ordered yesterday. It is out for delivery right now. Basically free overnight shipping because San Jose is relatively close to their Reno warehouse.
    Thanks! Great deal!!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Debonair View Post

Well, I ordered taking advantage of this deal. Thanks! Now, I'm looking at getting a dual trickle charger and an extra battery. Not sure I'm ready to go lipo just yet. So I'm looking at the Onyx 240 and this battery: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXVHT9&P=K

That should do just fine for me correct? How long does the Onyx 240 take to charge the stock battery and this battery? Thanks.

RC Enthusiast
    Glad it worked out for you. I got my truck yesterday and ran it around for a little white on the charge the battery had out of the box. Definitely cool.

I have no idea on charging time, I have never really timed it with my basic Dynamite Peak charger.

Personally I will definitely not be buying another NiMH battery. The 7 cell battery included is only good for about 5-15 minutes of driving (based on multiple other threads I have read).

You can get a LiPo/NiMH charger AND LiPo battery from Hobbypartz for less then that Onyx charger alone. Better run time at a lower price is a no brainer for me. Here are some examples:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-5500-2s1p.html

I don't have either of these but will be ordering soon.